Seaman Muhammed Anas Yahiya (born 17 September 1994) is an Indian sprinter who specialises in the 400 metres distance. He competed at the 2016 Summer Olympics in the 400 metres and the 4 × 400 m relay, and holds the national record (45.24) in the 400 meters, which he set at the 2019 Czech Athletics Championships.
|Born||17 September 1994|
Nilamel, Kerala, India
|Alma mater||Sree Krishna College, Guruvayur|
|Height||177 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||70 kg (154 lb)|
|Sport||Track and field|
|Event(s)||200 metres, 400 metres|
|Coached by||Galina Bukharina|
PB Jaikumar (personal)
Mohammed Kunji (personal)
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||200 m – 20.63 (2018)|
400 m – 45.21 (NR, 2019)
|Updated on 27 April 2019.|
He was born on 17 September 1994 in Nilamel. Anas took up athletics at the Style Sports Academy in Nilamel. He initially trained in the long jump, and changed to 400 m by chance, when his school team was looking for a last-minute replacement for a 400 m competition. His younger brother competed in the long jump at the 2017 World University Games.
Anas earlier broke the national 400 m record at the Polish Athletics Championships in June 2016, clocking 45.40 seconds, the exact qualification mark for the 2016 Olympics. He became the third Indian athlete to qualify for this Olympic event, after Milkha Singh (1956 and 1960) and K. M. Binu (2004).
In July 2016, Anas was part of the relay team that broke the national 4 × 400 metres record in Bangalore and qualified for the Rio Olympics. The quartet of Anas, Kunhu Muhammed, Ayyasamy Dharun and Arokia Rajiv clocked 3:00:91, improving their own record of 3:02.17 set four weeks earlier in Turkey. This result placed them 13th in the world ranking.
At the 2018 Asian Games, Anas won three silver medals, in the individual 400 m, and men's 4×400 m and mixed 4×400 m relays. At the 2018 Commonwealth Games he placed fourth in the 400 m, while his men's 4×400 m failed to finish.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mohammad Anas.|
- Muhammed Anas Yahiya. gc2018.com
- Muhammed Anas Yahiya Archived 4 September 2018 at the Wayback Machine. asiangames2018.id
- Muhammed Anas at World Athletics
- "Md Anas Yahiya BREAKS Own Record, Wins 400m Race in Czech Republic". Rediff. 1 August 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mohammed Anas Yahiya : The Man who Missed the Medal but Won our Hearts". Voice of Indian Sports - KreedOn. 15 May 2018. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- Prasad, Vishnu (26 July 2016). "Mohammed Anas looks to fulfil his father's dreams". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Navy man from Kerala qualifies for Olympics". The New Indian Express. 29 June 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "India's 4x400m relay teams qualify for Rio Olympics". Rediff. 10 July 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Asian Games: Hima Das, Muhammed Anas win 400m silver medals". Times of India. 26 August 2018.