Mohammad-Reza Bahonar (Persian: محمدرضا باهنر, born 2 February 1952) is an Iranian principlist politician who was member of the Parliament of Iran for 28 years. He is also secretary general of Islamic Society of Engineers and the Front of Followers of the Line of the Imam and the Leader. He currently serves as a member of the Expediency Discernment Council.
|First Deputy Speaker of the Parliament of Iran|
31 May 2011 – 28 May 2012
|Preceded by||Hassan Aboutorabi Fard|
|Succeeded by||Hassan Aboutorabi Fard|
7 June 2004 – 31 May 2008
|Preceded by||Mohammad-Reza Khatami|
|Succeeded by||Hassan Aboutorabi Fard|
|Member of the Parliament of Iran|
28 May 2004 – 28 May 2016
|Constituency||Tehran, Rey, Shemiranat and Eslamshahr (8th-9th term)|
Ravar (7th term)
28 May 1984 – 26 May 2000
|Constituency||Tehran, Rey, Shemiranat and Eslamshahr (3rd-5th term)|
Baft (2nd term)
|Born||2 February 1952|
|Political party||Islamic Society of Engineers|
|Front of Followers of the Line of the Imam and the Leader|
United Front of Principlists
Islamic Republican Party (1979–1987)
|Spouse(s)||Gohar Abdolrashidi (–2006, her death)|
|Alma mater||Allameh Tabatabaei University|
University of Science and Technology
Bahonar cofounded the Islamic Society of Engineers in 1991. He has been elected as a representative from Kerman and Tehran for six terms. He also served at the Expediency Council for three terms. He is considered a key member of the conservative alliance, and was considered a possible candidate for the post of the speaker or the leader of the conservative faction in the parliament. He later refused to run for the post of speaker possibly because of a deal made inside the conservative alliance, so he decided to run for the post of deputy speaker. He became the first deputy speaker on 6 June 2004 with 188 votes out of 259. The other running candidate for the post of deputy speaker was Mohammad-Hassan Aboutorabi Fard, a representative from Qazvin who became the second deputy speaker with 173 votes.
Following Hassan Rouhani's election as President, Bahonar was appointed by Chairman Ali Larijani as the parliament's liaison to the newly elected executive branch in transition mandate. On 25 December 2015, he announced he will retiring from his seat in Iranian Parliament after declined to run in 2016 election.
Attacking Iranian University studentsEdit
In a speech at Shiraz University, Bahonar harshly attacked students of Amirkabir University who criticized Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in December 2006. His lecture generated anger among the students. He also called for punishing the students, while accusing them of being sex and alcohol addicts.
|1988[b]||Parliament Round 1||No Data Available||Went to Round 2|
|Parliament Round 2||314,935||35.9||Won|
|1992[b]||Parliament Round 1||No Data Available||Went to Round 2|
|Parliament Round 2||506,998||49.4||Won|
|1996[b]||Parliament Round 1||No Data Available||Went to Round 2|
|Parliament Round 2||569,639||38.8||Won|
|2012[b]||Parliament Round 1||336,391||15.86||20th||Went to Round 2|
|Parliament Round 2||368,096||32.67||7th||Won|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mohammad-Reza Bahonar.|
- "Parliament members". Iranian Parliament. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "List of Legally Registerred Parties in Iran". Khorasan Newspaper. Pars Times. 30 July 2000. p. 4. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- "نگاهی به سوابق اجرایی نامزد های ریاست جمهوری/ از فرماندهی سپاه تا سابقه کمتر از یکسال نمایندگی", Entekhab (in Persian), 4 April 2013, retrieved 3 November 2016
- همسر «محمدرضا باهنر» درگذشت
- "Iran's Political Elite". United States Institute of Peace. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "Iran News Round Up". American Enterprise Institute. 20 June 2013. Archived from the original on 25 June 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
Rouhani appointed Economic Research Department Deputy at the Expediency Council’s Center for Strategic Research Mohammad Bagher Nobakht to represent the executive and Speaker of Parliament Ali Larijani appointed his deputy Mohammad Reza Bahonar to represent the legislative branch in an effort to "establish communication and moderation" between the two institutions.
- باهنر: هر کس خربزه می خورد، پای لرزش هم بنشیند (ROOZ) Archived 11 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Getting to Know the Representatives in the Majles" (PDF), Iranian Parliament, The Iran Social Science Data Portal, p. 165, archived from the original (PDF) on 30 September 2015, retrieved 11 April 2016
- "Getting to Know the Representatives in the Majles" (PDF), Iranian Parliament, The Iran Social Science Data Portal, p. 275, archived from the original (PDF) on 18 February 2017, retrieved 11 April 2016
- "Getting to Know the Representatives in the Majles" (PDF), Iranian Parliament, The Iran Social Science Data Portal, p. 503, archived from the original (PDF) on 30 November 2016, retrieved 11 April 2016
- "Getting to Know the Representatives in the Majles" (PDF), Iranian Parliament, The Iran Social Science Data Portal, p. 387
- آگهی نتیجه انتخابات ششمین دوره مجلس شورای اسلامی در حوزه انتخابیه تهران، ری، شمیرانات و اسلامشهر (in Persian), archived from the original on 9 June 2011
- "Getting to Know the Representatives in the Majles" (PDF), Iranian Parliament, The Iran Social Science Data Portal, p. 30, archived from the original (PDF) on 30 September 2015, retrieved 11 April 2016
- "نتيجه قطعي انتخابات تهران اعلام شد", Fars News Agency (in Persian), 17 March 2008, retrieved 10 February 2016
- "۵۲۷ کاندیدای تهران در انتخابات ۱۲ اسفند چقدر رای آوردند؟", Khabaronline (in Persian), 18 March 2012, retrieved 10 February 2016
- نتایج نهایی و رسمی مرحله دوم انتخابات تهران + گرایش سیاسی. Asr Iran (in Persian). 16 May 2012. 212705. Retrieved 8 June 2015.