Miss Earth 2003
Miss Earth 2003, the 3rd edition of Miss Earth pageant, was held on November 9, 2003 at the University of the Philippines Theater in Quezon City, Philippines. Fifty-seven delegates from all over the globe participated in the event. The pageant was broadcast live via ABS-CBN in the Philippines and to many countries worldwide via Star World, The Filipino Channel and other partner networks. Winfred Omwakwe from Kenya crowned her successor Dania Prince of Honduras the end of the event. Brazil's Pricila Zandona was selected Miss Air 2003 (first runner-up), Costa Rica's Marianela Zeledon Bolanos was chosen Miss Water 2003 (second runner-up), and Poland's Marta Matyjasik was Miss Fire 2003 (third runner-up). The pageant was hosted by Television show host Ariel Ureta. The candidates were initially presented at the poolside of Hotel Intercontinental Manila in Makati City on October 22, 2003.
|Miss Earth 2003|
|Date||November 9, 2003|
|Venue||University of the Philippines Theater, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Congeniality||Yodit Getahun |
|Best National Costume||Jessica Doralis Segui |
|Photogenic||Claudia Cecilia Azaeda |
Beauty for a Cause Award was awarded to Vida Samadzai the first Afghan woman to compete in an international beauty pageant in almost three decades, for helping found a US-based women's charity that seeks to raise awareness of women's rights and education in Afghanistan by “symbolizing the newfound confidence, courage and spirit of today’s women and representing the victory of women’s rights and various social, personal and religious struggles”.
|Miss Earth 2003|
|Miss Air (1st Runner-up)||
|Miss Water (2nd Runner-up)||
|Miss Fire (3rd Runner-up)||
|Beauty for a Cause||Afghanistan – Vida Samadzai|
|Miss Friendship||Ethiopia – Yodit Getahun|
|Miss Photogenic||Bolivia – Claudia Cecilia Azaeda|
|Best Skin||Philippines – Laura Marie Dunlap|
|Best in Talent||Bosnia and Herzegovina – Mirela Bulbulija|
|Miss Avon||Honduras – Dania Prince|
|Miss Close-up Smile||Brazil – Priscila Poleselo Zandoná|
|Best Hair||Vietnam – Nguyễn Ngân Hà|
|Best in National Costume||Panama – Jessica Doralis Segui †|
|Best in Long Gown||Brazil – Priscila Poleselo Zandoná|
|Best in Swimsuit||France – Jennifer Pichard|
Order of announcementsEdit
Final Question in Miss Earth 2003: "At the end of each rainbow, so the saying goes, is a pot of gold. As a woman of the earth, instead of a pot of gold, what else would you rather find at the end of the rainbow?"
Winning Answer of Miss Earth 2003: "Honestly, there are things that are much more important than gold. For me personally, the most important is the sentiments of the people. To give love and smile to a human being, to be able to give them a hand when needed, to give help to someone who needs your presence, and also God is always with us which is very important. The first thing I think when I open my eyes is heaven. When we have Him in our hearts and mind, everything is better. And I can see people how they really are inside, not if they have gold or not. For me the rainbow means life, God and happiness." - Dania Prince, represented Honduras.
The following is the list of the nine-member board of judges of Miss Earth 2003:
|1||Jose Cayetano da Silva||Ambassador of Portugal to the Philippines|
|2||Evangeline Pascual||Miss World Philippines 1973|
|3||Inno Sotto||Premier Fashion Designer|
|4||Chito Macapagal||General Manager of Unilever Philippines|
|5||Patricia Tancheong||Senior Vice President of Air Philippines|
|6||Chin Chin Gutierrez||TIME Magazine 2003 Asian hero|
|7||Stefan Voogel||General Manager of Hotel Intercontinental Manila|
|8||Paul Lancos||Beauty Expert, Vice President of Avon|
|9||Elisea Gozun||Secretary of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources|
List of countries and delegates that participated in Miss Earth 2003:
- Afghanistan - Vida Samadzai
- Antigua and Barbuda - Juany Gomez
- Argentina - Marisol Pipastrelli
- Australia - Shivaune Christina Field
- Belgium - Sofie Ydens
- Bolivia - Claudia Cecilia Azaeda Melgar
- Bosnia and Herzegovina - Mirela Bulbulija
- Brazil - Priscila Poleselo Zandoná
- Canada - Brooke Elizabeth Johnston
- Chile - Carolina Salazar
- China - Dong Meixi
- Colombia - Emily de Castro Giacometto
- Costa Rica - Marianela Zeledón Bolaños
- Cyprus - Krystiana Aristotelou
- Denmark - Marie Petersen
- Dominican Republic - Suanny Frontaán
- Ecuador - Isabel Cristina Ontaneda Pinto
- Estonia - Kadi Tombak
- Ethiopia - Yodit Getahun
- Finland - Jenni Suominen
- France - Jennifer Pichard
- Germany - Jolena Kwasow
- Ghana - Ama Amissah Quartey
- Gibraltar - Justine Olivero
- Guatemala - Marie Claire Palacios Boeufgras
- Honduras - Dania Prince
- Hungary - Aniko Szucs
- India - Shwetha Vijay Nair
- Israel - Moran Glistron
- Japan - Asami Saito
- Kenya - Hazel Nzioki
- Korea - Yoo-mi Oh
- Kosovo - Teuta Hoxha
- Lebanon - Mary Georges Hanna
- Malaysia - Ying Ying Lee
- Mexico - Lorena Irene Velarde Briceño
- New Zealand - Katey Ellen Price
- Nicaragua - Marynés Argüello César
- Nigeria - Eva Ogberor
- Norway - Fay Larsen
- Panama - Jessica Doralis Segui Barrios †
- Peru - Danitza Autero Stanic
- Philippines - Laura Marie Dunlap
- Poland - Marta Matyjasik
- Puerto Rico - Norelis Ortiz Acosta
- Serbia and Montenegro - Katarina Vucetic
- Singapore - Adele Koh
- Slovenia - Sabina Begovic
- South Africa - Catherine Constantinides
- Sweden - Caroline Sonath
- Switzerland - Catherine Waldenmeyer
- Tahiti - Vairupe Pater Huioutu
- Thailand - Anongnat Sutthanuch
- Ukraine - Diana Starkova
- USA - Jessica Schilling †
- Venezuela - Driva Ysabella Cedeño Salazar
- Vietnam - Nguyễn Ngân Hà
- Serbia & Montenegro is technically new, as it was designated in the previous years as "Yugoslavia".
Last competed in 2001:
- Newsweek: Kuntzman, Gersh.American Beat: Beauty is a Beast. Published on November 3, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Associated Press. Miss Afghanistan wins award at Miss Earth contest. Published on November 10, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- Los Angeles Times: Main News. Justice Official Criticizes Beauty Contestant. Published on November 9, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- Sky News United Kingdom: Bikini Beauty Queen Faces Backlash. Published on November 10, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- Rediff India: Agencies. Miss Afghanistan is 'beauty for a cause' Published on November 10, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- Deseret News: The Salt Lake City, UT First Afghan in three decades to take part in a beauty pageant. Published on November 9, 2003. November 9, 2003 Retrieved December 27, 2009
- The Tribune- Pittsburg: The Associated Press. Beauty's bikini agitates Afghan prosecutors[permanent dead link]. Published on November 9, 2003. November 9, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- Philadelphia Daily News: Online News. Uh oh! Miss Afghanistan broke the law?. Published on November 9, 2003. November 10, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- The Sunday Register Guard: Eugene, Oregon. Red bikini catches Afghans' attention. Published on November 9, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- Bangor Daily News- Washington. Associated Press. Miss Afghanistan wins beauty contest award. Published on November 9, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- New Straits Times: Associated Press. Miss Afghanistan Wins Special Award In Miss Earth Pageant. Published on November 11, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- The Spokesman-Review: Fowler, Jonathan. Miss Afghanistan faces charges if she returns. Published on November 10, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- Xinhua News Agency: chinaview.cn: Miss Afghanistan stirs criticism from home country. Published on October 207, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- The Indian Express: Constable, Pamela .Barely bearable. Published on November 2, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- The Toronto Star: De Castro, Erik/Reuters. Afghanistan Top court censures expatriate beauty pageant. Published on November 2, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- The Washington Post/Island Packet: Woman's Appearance In Pageant Sparks Debate. Published on October 31, 2003. Retrieved December 27, 2009
- BBC News, Online (2003-10-23). "Afghan beauty queen makes history". BBC World News. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Taranto, James (2003-10-24). "The Wall Street Journal: Good News Watch". The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- New York Times, Online News (2003-10-30). "Anti-Pageant Judges". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- West, Donald (2007-12-18). "Miss Earth History". Pageantopolis. Archived from the original on 2007-12-16. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Constable, Pamela (2003-10-30). "Pageant Flap Bares Depth Of Tradition For Afghans; Rights Advocates Fear Conservative Backlash". The Washington Post - Washington, D.C. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Palmero, Paul (2005-06-18). "Pageant History". Pageant Almanac. Archived from the original on 2008-12-12. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Winters, Rebecca (2003-11-10). "Bod For A Burqa?". TIME Magazine. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Armitage, Lynn (2003-10-23). "Miss Afghanistan 2003". Afghanland News. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Michigan Daily News, Associated Press (2003-11-10). "Lauded at pageant, woman condemned by Afghan officials". The Michigan Daily. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Fox World News, The Associated Press (2003-11-10). "Miss Afghanistan Takes Prize at Miss Earth Contest". FOX News Network, LLC. Archived from the original on 2010-09-16. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Manongdo, Jenny (23 October 2003). "60 int'l beauties competing for Miss Earth title". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 8 April 2012.
- "Beauty prize for Miss Afghanistan". CNN World News. Agence France Presse (AFP). 2003-11-10. Archived from the original on 2003-11-19. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- The Associated Press, Agencies (2003-10-23). "Miss Afghanistan wins award at Miss Earth". Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Manongdo, Jenny F. (2003-11-11). "Honduras beauty wins Miss Earth pageant title". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on 2012-04-21. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- Taken from Water
- Soul, John (2003-11-09). "Miss Earth 2003". Woman of the Earth News. Archived from the original on 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2009-12-27.