This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Star World (formerly Star Plus) is an English language entertainment television channel originally launched in 1991 by Star TV in Hong Kong as Star Plus. In 1996, the channel rebranded Star World in East and Southeast Asia, when the Indian feed was converted into a Hindi entertainment channel and retained the Star Plus name, Star World was introduced in the region as an English entertainment replacement.
Star World logo used in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Middle East, North Africa and Southeast Asia
|Launched||15 December 1991|
|Closed||1 October 2017 (Southeast Asia and Hong Kong)|
|Owned by||Fox Networks Group|
(Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer and International)
|Picture format||576i (16:9/4:3) (SDTV)|
|Broadcast area||Hong Kong (channel based in Asia Pacific, available in China, India, Macau, Nepal, Pakistan, Middle East, Vietnam, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Kazakhstan)|
|Formerly called||Star Plus|
(15 December 1991 – 31 March 1996)
|Replaced by||Fox Life (Hong Kong and Southeast Asia)|
|Dish TV |
|Channel 457 (SD) |
Channel 39 (HD)
|Tata Sky |
|Channel 201 (HD) |
Channel 202 (SD)
|Reliance Digital TV |
|Sun Direct |
|Channel 931 (HD) |
Channel 454 (SD)
|Airtel digital TV |
|Channel 148 (SD) |
Channel 149 (HD)
|Videocon d2h |
|Channel 179 (SD) |
Channel 180 (HD)
|OSN (Middle East|
& North Africa)
|Channel 210 (HD)|
|beIN (MENA)||Channel 163 (HD)|
|Channel 50 (SD)|
Channel 377 (HD)
|Taiwan CATV |
|WorldCall Cable TV |
|Southern Networks |
(Pakistan & Kazakhstan)
|PTCL Smart TV |
|Peo TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel no 77|
The channel's programming line-up mostly consists of entertainment television programmes from the United States, the United Kingdom and sometimes Australia to appeal to English-speaking locals as well as the expatriate population of South Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Southeast Asia.
Star Plus was first launched on 15 December 1991, showcasing international content from the United States, United Kingdom and Australia.
On 31 March 1996, Star TV split Star Plus' beam into two, in effect, providing two separate services for different regional audiences within Star TV's footprint. This enabled the channel to provide appropriate programming and viewing time for viewers from different regions in Asia. Star Plus would serve viewers in India and the Middle East from then on, while the new Star World channel welcomed those in East and Southeast Asia
Later, Star TV converted Star Plus into Hindi entertainment channel, and introduced Star World as English entertainment replacement in India and the Middle East. Earlier, Star TV had a joint venture with Zee Telefilms which uplinked Hindi channel Zee TV from Hong Kong. But that partnership was ended.
On 1 October 2017, Hong Kong and Southeast Asian version of Star World was rebranded to Fox Life. The Good Fight was the last program to air before re-brand (Bolt of Talent in Philippine feed). Star World brand remains in versions broadcast to the Middle East, Taiwan, India and South Asia.
Although the channel shows the same programming, they mostly differ when it comes to showtimes.
- Star World Asia - broadcast times HKT/SIN and WIB/BKK; simulcast with the Middle East feed at 24:00 to 06:00 (HK/SIN)
- Star World India - broadcast times IND; this has different content from the other feeds; this is the only feed managed by Star India (not by Fox Networks Group)
- Star World HD Middle East & North Africa - broadcast times KSA, UAE; including Channel [V] programs
- Star World Philippines - broadcast times PH; selected programs are not the same as Asia feed including local commercials and few of the local programs; a subsidiary of Fox Networks Group Philippines
- Star World Taiwan - broadcast times NST; selected programs are not same as the Asia feed, including local commercials
- Star World Vietnam - broadcast times VN; selected programs are not same as the Asia feed, including local commercials
- Star World HD Asia - same as the Asia feed except for the logo and commercial feed; available in selected territories only
- Star World HD India - same as the India feed except for the logo and commercial feed; launched on 15 April 2011; only available in India and Nepal
- Star World HD Philippines - same as the Philippines feed except for the logo and commercial feed; launched on 1 March 2012; a subsidiary of Fox Networks Group Philippines
- Star World HD Vietnam - same as the Vietnam feed except for the logo and commercial feed
- Star World Premiere HD - a premium channel launched on 26 September 2013 in India offering the latest seasons of the biggest shows in American television
- "STAR World: Feature Channel". Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- "Turn on as Star World rebrands to FOX life - InqPOP!". InqPOP!. 2 October 2017.