Michael Dougherty (born October 28, 1974) is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter. He is best known for his work with Dan Harris on the scripts for Bryan Singer's films X2 (2003) and Superman Returns (2006), as well as writing and directing the cult horror film Trick 'r Treat (2007). He also directed, co-wrote, and produced the Christmas horror-comedy Krampus (2015), and co-wrote and directed Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019).
Dougherty at SDCC 2015
|Born||October 28, 1974|
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Dougherty was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. He attended the Tisch School of Arts at New York University in the Maurice Kanbar Institute of Film and Television, which is where he produced Season's Greetings (1996). His mother is Vietnamese.
His directorial debut, Trick 'r Treat, is based on his own script, and was produced by Bryan Singer. It played at several film festivals, before being released on DVD on October 6, 2009 in the US and Canada. In December 2014, he began work on his horror film Krampus, which was released in December 2015, and co-wrote the script for X-Men: Apocalypse (2016), with Singer, Dan Harris and Simon Kinberg, with Singer once again as director.
Dougherty directed the science fiction sequel Godzilla: King of the Monsters, for which he wrote the script with Zach Shields, from a story by himself, Shields, and Max Borenstein. The film was released in 2019, to mixed reviews.
Dougherty is an artist and some of his artwork is displayed on his official website.
|1996||Season's Greetings||Yes||Yes||No||Short film|
|2003||X2||No||Yes||No||Nominated- Saturn Award for Best Writing|
|2005||Urban Legends: Bloody Mary||No||Yes||No|
|2006||Superman Returns||No||Yes||No||Saturn Award for Best Writing|
|2007||Trick 'r Treat||Yes||Yes||Executive||Toronto After Dark Silver Audience Award|
Screamfest Audience Choice Award
|2010||Trick 'r Treat: Making Friends||Yes||Yes||Executive||Short film|
|2019||Godzilla: King of the Monsters||Yes||Yes||No|
Bryan Singer, Dougherty and Dan Harris provided the plots to four comic book prequels to Superman Returns. The four forty-page comic book prequels were published by DC Comics throughout the month of June 2006 and bridged the gap between the second Superman film and Superman Returns.
- Superman Returns: Krypton to Earth - Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris
- Summary: In the first of the four prequels, fans will revisit the Man of Steel’s origins and witness how the world has been transformed in Superman’s absence.
- Superman Returns: Ma Kent - Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris
- Summary: The second special conceived by Bryan Singer and illustrated by Karl Kerschl spotlights the life of the woman who raised the Man of Tomorrow—and explores how she survived a world without Superman.
- Superman Returns: Lex Luthor - Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris
- Summary: Lex Luthor always dreamed of a world without a Superman. How will Superman’s arch-nemesis react when he finally gets what he’s wanted for so many years?
- Superman Returns: Lois Lane - Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris
- Summary: Lois Lane has loved... and lost... the Man of Steel. How will this intrepid reporter rebound from Superman’s absence?
In 2015, with Todd Casey, Zach Shields and Marc Andeyko, Michael Dougherty co wrote and created a comic book tie in to Trick 'r Treat, titled 'Trick 'r Treat: Days of the Dead'. It features four new short stories, spanning centuries, depicting a variety of characters and cultures, going back to the holiday's roots in ancient Ireland.
Later that year, with Casey, Zach and Laura Shields, Dougherty also published a tie-in to Krampus titled Krampus: Shadows of Saint Nicholas. It features three stories which expand the mythology of the Krampus.
- "The New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- TRICK 'R TREATing with Michael Dougherty Archived October 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Michael Dougherty talks ''Trick 'r Treat'' at FEARnet". Fearnet.com. January 5, 2015. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Stax (April 16, 2003). "''10 Questions: Mike Dougherty & Dan Harris''". Movies.ign.com. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Barton, Steve (December 19, 2014). "Mike Dougherty and Legendary Spread Some Christmas Fear". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Lesnick, Silas (September 22, 2014). "Bryan Singer Confirmed to Direct X-Men: Apocalypse". Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (October 20, 2016). "Michael Dougherty and Zach Shields to Write 'Godzilla 2' for Legendary (Exclusive)". Variety. Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- Hayes, Britt (October 21, 2016). "Exclusive: 'Godzilla 2' May Be Helmed by 'Krampus' Director Michael Dougherty". Screen Crush. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (January 23, 2017). "'Godzilla 2' Finds Director in Michael Dougherty". Variety. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Mike Dougherty Confirms the Title is Godzilla: King of "THE" Monsters". Scified. January 29, 2017. Retrieved January 31, 2017.