Nicole Perlman (born December 10, 1981) is an American screenwriter, best known for co-writing the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), and the story for Marvel's Captain Marvel (2019), and for Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019).
|Born||December 10, 1981|
Boulder, Colorado, U.S.
|Alma mater||New York University|
Perlman was born in Boulder, Colorado, the daughter of Penny and Michael Perlman, a physician. She was raised Jewish. She grew up in Boulder, where she attended Boulder High School. She studied film and dramatic writing at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, where she graduated with a BFA in 2003. She won the Tribeca Film Festival's Sloan Grant for Science in Film for her screenplay Challenger.
She was enrolled in Marvel's screenwriting program in 2009, during which time she was offered several of their lesser-known properties on which to base a screenplay. Out of those, Perlman chose Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy, due to her interest in space and science fiction. "I can’t tell you what the other titles were that [Marvel] were offering up on the table, but I can tell you that one of them was a little bit more appropriate for me, just based on gender," she says. "I think they were a little taken aback when I chose Guardians, because there were ones that would make a lot more sense if you were a romantic-comedy writer or something like that." Perlman spent two years writing a draft, immersing herself in the Guardians universe. In late 2011, Perlman was asked to create another draft, and in early 2012, American writer and director James Gunn was brought in to contribute to the script, and direct the film.
Perlman made her directorial debut in 2018 with The Slows, a short film which made its world premiere at Fantastic Fest and played at the New York Film Festival. It is adapted from a short story by Gail Hareven first published in The New Yorker. The film stars Annet Mahendru and Breeda Wool.
She co-wrote an early script for the film Pokémon Detective Pikachu, with Gravity Falls creator Alex Hirsch. Eventually, she received a "story by" credit with Benji Samit and Dan Hernandez, while Hirsch was not credited.
In January 2016, Perlman announced that she is writing a sequel to Labyrinth alongside Fede Alvarez and Jay Basu. By October 2016, Warner Bros., Village Roadshow and Team Downey had put together a writers' room for the third of the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes films, with Perlman, Justin Malen, Gary Whitta, Geneva Robertson-Dworet, and Kieran Fitzgerald included.
|2014||Guardians of the Galaxy||Yes||No||Co-writer with James Gunn|
|2017||Raising a Rukus||Yes||Executive||Short film|
|2018||The Slows||Yes||No||Short film; also director|
|2019||Captain Marvel||Story||No||Story co-written with Meg LeFauve, Geneva Robertson-Dworet, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck|
|Pokémon Detective Pikachu||Story||No||Story co-written with Benji Samit and Dan Hernandez|
Films attached to with no release dateEdit
- Nicole Perlman at IMDb
- "Boulder Jewish Family Service Presents Reel Hope Boulder with Screenwriter Nicole Perlman". Jewish Family Service of Colorado. August 10, 2016. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- David Fellows (November 6, 2016). "Reel Hope Boulder a Galactic Success For Boulder JFS". Boulder Jewish News. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- "Meet The Woman Who Made History With Marvel's "Guardians Of The Galaxy"". BuzzFeed. July 30, 2014. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "Nicole Perlman". Variety. June 22, 2006. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "SDCC '14: Nicole Perlman Talks Guardians of the Galaxy". BeaconReader.com. Archived from the original on January 29, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- Shetty, Sharan (August 4, 2014). "Who Deserves Credit for Guardians of the Galaxy's Great Script?". Slate. Archived from the original on August 5, 2014. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Strom, Mark (August 19, 2014). "Nicole Perlman Writes the Galaxy". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on August 22, 2014. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Rothman, Lily (July 25, 2014). "How Nicole Perlman Became the First Woman to Write a Marvel Movie". Time. Archived from the original on July 26, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- Graser, Marc (June 28, 2012). "Marvel planning 'Guardians of the Galaxy' pic". Variety. Archived from the original on August 5, 2012. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- Epstein, Sonia (23 October 2018). "Guardian's of the Galaxy's Nicole Perlman's Directorial Debut". Sloan Science & Film. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- Borys Kit (April 13, 2015). "'Captain Marvel' Movie Targets 'Inside Out' and 'Guardians' Writers". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Chitwood, Adam (August 16, 2016). "'Pokemon' Movie Lands Marvel Vet Nicole Perlman, Alex Hirsch as Writers". Collider. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- Pedersen, Erik (December 14, 2016). "Legendary Taps Herbert W. Gains As EVP Physical Production, Hires Two SVPs". Deadline. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- Erao, Matthew (January 24, 2018). "Detective Pikachu Live-Action Movie Officially Begins Filming". Screen Rant.
- Handler, Rachel (January 23, 2016). "David Bowie's Labyrinth Is Getting A Sequel". Vanity Fair. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (October 27, 2016). "Warner Bros. and Team Downey Set Writers' Room for 'Sherlock Holmes 3' (Exclusive)". Variety.