Matt Flanagan (American football)
Matt Flanagan (born March 26, 1995) is an American football tight end for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Pittsburgh, and was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Redskins in 2018.
|No. 88 – Washington Redskins|
|Born:||March 26, 1995|
Chester, New Jersey
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||260 lb (118 kg)|
|High school:||West Morris Mendham|
(Mendham Borough, NJ)
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Early life and high schoolEdit
Flanagan spent the first four years of his collegiate career playing for the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, redshirting his freshman season. He began as a walk-on but eventually earned a scholarship. Over three seasons, Flanagan appeared in 33 games (17 starts) and had 18 total receptions for the Scarlet Knights.
After his redshirt junior season, Flanagan transferred to the University of Pittsburgh for his final season of eligibility as a graduate transfer. He started nine games for the Panthers before a season-ending injury, catching 17 passes for 160 yards.
Flanagan signed with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent on April 29, 2018. He was cut at the end of training camp and subsequently re-signed to the team's practice squad on September 2, 2018. Flanagan was promoted to the Redskins' active roster on December 15, 2018. He made his NFL debut on December 16, 2018, in a 16–13 win against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Made his first career catch, a 14-yard reception, in the Redskins' final game of the season against the Philadelphia Eagles. He appeared in three games as a rookie, playing primarily as a blocking tight end.
- Dunleavy, Ryan (April 11, 2016). "Flanagan back at Rutgers practice after gruesome injury". Asbury Park Press. USA Today. Retrieved December 25, 2018.
- Batko, Brian (March 27, 2017). "Pitt football lands Matt Flanagan, graduate-transfer tight end from Rutgers". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- Batko, Brian (August 20, 2017). "Pitt tight ends Chris Clark, Matt Flanagan might bring best of both worlds". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- Wilson, Aaron (April 12, 2018). "Pitt TE Matt Flanagan visits Texans". Chron.com. Houston Chronicle. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- Whaley, Anson (April 29, 2018). "Pitt tight end Matt Flanagan signs with Washington Redskins as Undrafted Free Agent". CardiacHill.com. SB Nation. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Cummings, Ian (September 4, 2018). "Redskins sign eight players to practice squad, including RB Kapri Bibbs". RiggosRag.com. FanSided. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- Horton, Bill (December 15, 2018). "Redskins shuffle the roster ahead of Sunday's game [UPDATED]". HogsHaven.com. SB Nation. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- Svrluga, Barry (December 17, 2018). "Neither good nor bad, Redskins once again are emphatically indifferent". The Washington Post.
- "Redskins' Matt Flanagan: Catches on at end of season". CBSSports.com. RotoWire. January 1, 2018.