|Archbishop Coadjutor of RijekaApostolic Administrator of Dubrovnik|
|Appointed||4 November 2020|
|Ordination||27 June 1993|
|Consecration||19 March 2011|
by Marin Barišić
|Birth name||Mate Uzinić|
|Born||17 September 1967|
Dubrava, SR Croatia, SFR Yugoslavia (now Croatia)
|Motto||Od ljudi za ljude|
From the people, for the people
|Coat of arms|
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Early life and educationEdit
Mate Uzinić was born on September 17, 1967 in Dubrava near Omiš where he attended elementary school, after which he moved to Split in order to attend high school in the Split Archdiocesan Seminary. After finishing high school in 1988, Uzinić enrolled in Faculty of Catholic Theology from which he graduated in 1993.
From 2000 to 2002 he served as judicial vicar and judge in a First instance ecclesiastical court in Split. In 2000 he became an associate in the pastoral care service of the Strožanac parish, and in 2001 rector of the Central Seminary in Split. Since 2002, Uzinić is a member of the Presbyterian Council of Archdiocese of Split-Makarska, and since 2004 a member of the Council of the Croatian Bishops' Conference for the promotion of vocations and seminaries.
On 24 January 2011, Uzinić was appointed Bishop of Dubrovnik by Pope Benedict XVI. He received his episcopal consecration from Marin Barišić, with Josip Bozanić and Želimir Puljić serving as co-consecrators on 19 March 2011.
Bishop Uzinić is considered to be theologically moderate.
He is the only Croatian bishop that uses Facebook regularly.
On April 26, 2012, Uzinić held a speech on Symposium of priests of the Diocese of Šibenik in which he talked about child abuse scandals, and had stated among other that "Church must put victim on the first place, and not the abuser or the Church as an institution, as it has been done in the past. If we do that, all victims of sexual abuse would not look at Church as enemy, but as helper and friend. That day has not yet arrived, and that means that we are not yet fully Church that we are called to be."
Commenting on 2012 Split pride, Uzinić wrote a post on Facebook in which he made it clear that he didn't support Pride but in the same time urged citizens of Split "not to get provoked and do something that true Christians would not do", referring to the 2011 Pride when hundreds of people threw stones on the Pride participants. Uzinić added that Christians have the "right and duty" to disagree with Split Pride, but has urged people to rather avoid area where Pride was being held and spend time in prayer or walk in nature. He cited Romans 12:17-18; "Repay no one evil for evil. Respect what is honorable in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as it is up to you, be at peace with all men."
In May 2015, Uzinić has set a precedent in the Catholic Church in Croatia by publishing the financial report of his diocese, thus becoming the first Croatian bishop who has done so.
In August 2015, while referring to the European migrant crisis, Uzinić stated that "we must not look at people through prejudice, we need to meet them and meet with them. Refusing to help refugees is like a war crime."
- "Bishop Mate Uzinić". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "Životopis dubrovačkog biskupa mons. Mate Uzinića". Diocese of Dubrovnik. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- Piše: F.M. srijeda, 26.1.2011. 10:20 (2011-01-26). "Novi dubrovački biskup shvatio da je Facebook dobar - Vijesti". Index.hr. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Piše: I.Ć. četvrtak, 26.4.2012. 15:09 (2012-04-26). "Biskup Uzinić: Na prvom mjestu mora nam biti žrtva seksualnog zlostavljanja, a ne Crkva kao do sada! - Vijesti". Index.hr. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Piše: P.V. petak, 1.6.2012. 16:35 (2012-01-06). "Dubrovački biskup o Split Prideu: Kao kršćani se ne moramo slagati, ali moramo uvažavati drugačije - Vijesti". Index.hr. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Piše: R.I.C. četvrtak, 14.5.2015. 14:30 (2015-05-14). "Objavljeno prvo crkveno financijsko izvješće, evo koliko zarađuju biskupijska poduzeća - Vijesti". Index.hr. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Piše: R.I.C. četvrtak, 27.8.2015. 11:55 (2015-08-27). "Dubrovački biskup Uzinić: Papa je rekao svoje - odbijanje izbjeglica je poput ratnog zločina - Vijesti". Index.hr. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Bishop of Dubrovnik