Catholic-Hierarchy.org is an online database of bishops and dioceses of the Roman Catholic Church and Eastern Catholic Churches. The website is not officially sanctioned by the Church. It is run as a private project by David M. Cheney in Kansas City.
Type of site
|Created by||David M. Cheney|
|Alexa rank||188,514 (February 2018[update])|
Origin and contentsEdit
In the 1990s, the David M. Cheney created a simple internet website that documented the Roman Catholic bishops in his home state of Texas - many of whom did not have webpages. In 2002, after moving to the Midwest, he officially created the present website catholic-hierarchy.org and expanded to cover the United States and eventually the world. The database contains geographical, organizational and address information on each Catholic diocese in the world, including Eastern Catholic Churches in full communion with the Holy See, such as the Maronite Catholic Church and the Syro-Malabar Church.
It also gives biographical information on current and previous bishops of each diocese, such as dates of birth, ordinations and (when applicable) death.
The website is cited as a reference by Vatican Radio as well as by numerous Catholic dioceses around the world, academic institutions, libraries, newspapers (both mainstream and Catholic), and in published works. Vaticanologist Sandro Magister lists it as a recommended site on Catholicism. It is also used as a reference by other church writers including John L. Allen, Jr., canon lawyer Edward N. Peters, and Rocco Palmo. The Zenit News Agency states that the webpage provides a "silent, unique service to the Church".
Among the printed sources used are the Holy See publications: Annuario Pontificio, Acta Apostolicae Sedis and Acta Sanctae Sedis. Historical studies by authors whose surnames range from Andrade to Zúñíga are also utilized.
The Vatican Information Service provides news about changes affecting dioceses and bishops.
- "catholic-hierarchy.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- La Croix: "David Cheney, l'homme qui recense les évêques" Nicolas SENÈZE le 24/11/2008
- Katholisch Deutsch: "Sie sammeln das Wissen der Weltkirche" Von Felix Neumann 08.08.2017
- Vatican Radio: "Chad: A “frontier Church" at the Synod in Rome" "Statistics vary but according to 'catholic-hierarchy.org..."
- Archdiocese of Bangkok retrieved October 20, 2016
- Diocese of Galle recommended websites retrieved October 20, 2016
- Catholic Diocese of Jammu and Srinigar recommended websites retrieved October 20, 2016
- The Catholic Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania - resources retrieved October 20, 2016
- Catholic Trust for England and Wales retrieved October 20, 2016 | "To see the structure of the Catholic Church’s Hierarchy go to www.catholic-hierarchy.org."
- The Free Online Site of Washington History: "Bishop Augustin Blanchet dedicates Washington's original St. James Cathedral at Fort Vancouver on January 23, 1851" retrieved October 20, 2016
- Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana Unidad Azcapotzalco México Estampas del catolicismo en México by Rodolfo Soriano Núñez retrieved October 20, 2016
- Stanford University Libraries: Cardinal Francis Arinze retrieved October 20, 2016
- Byzantine Catholic Seminary Library - list of Byzantine Catholic Websites retrieved October 20, 2016
- John Paul the Great Catholic University website retrieved October 20, 2016
- Washington Post: "Pope Benedict XVI's path to the papacy" February 11, 2013 | Sources: News services, Vatican, www.catholic-hierarchy.org
- Boston Globe retrieved October 20, 2016 | SOURCES: AmericanCatholic.org; Archdiocese of Boston; Catholic Encyclopedia; Catholic-hierarchy.org; "Dictionary of the Liturgy;" Father Jason A. Gray of the Peoria Archdiocese; United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Michigan Live: "Aging priesthood part of the Catholic struggle" April 25, 2009
- El Observador: "¿Qué implica ser parte del Colegio Cardenalicio?" Enero 4, 2015
- BN DeStem: "Bisschop Ernst (98): 'In mijn tijd als bisschop was islam de afdeling buitenland'" 04 december 2015
- Society of St Pius the X: "Worldwide 187 dioceses without a bishop" July 15, 2013
- Catholic Universe: "The Catholic press in the UK" 4th December 2009
- Adoremus Bulletin retrieved October 20, 2016 | Another useful website is http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org.
- The Tablet: "Obituaries" May 17, 2012
- Katholiek Nieuws Blad: "Twee Nederlanders in top tien oudste nog levende bisschoppen" 05 november 2015
- National Catholic Register: "Concerns Rising Over Slow Appointments of Bishops" by Edward Pentin 07/13/2013 "According to figures on Catholic-Hierarchy.org, eight U.S. dioceses are without a bishop, plus two U.S. eparchies (dioceses of Eastern rite churches)."
- La Croix: "Des cardinaux de plus en plus nombreux et de plus en plus âgés" by Nicolas Senèze 20/04/2012
- Catholic News Perspectives: "Wind set to rustle among Philadelphia Catholics" 23 July 2011
-  Zenit News Agency "ZENIT’s own editorial director, Jesús Colina, has this to say about it: “My staff and I consult catholic-hierarchy.org dozens of times a day. Behind basically every reference we make to any member of the Church hierarchy — and we make thousands — there’s a quick look at this site.”
- Population Reference Bureau: "The Changing Demographics of Roman Catholics" by Rogelio Saenz August 2005
-  The Next Pope By Anura Guruge
-  The Virgin Mary and Catholic Identities in Chinese History By Jeremy Clarke
-  Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices : Six Volumes by J. Gordon Melton and Martin Baumann
-  Two Texts By Edward Everett Hale by Edward Everett Hale, Hsuan L. Hsu, Susan Kalter
-  Uncertain Honor: Modern Motherhood in an African Crisis By Jennifer Johnson-Hanks
-  Religion and Post-Conflict Statebuilding: Roman Catholic and Sunni Islamic Perspectives (Palgrave Studies in Compromise) Mar 4, 2015 by Denis Dragovi
-  Imagining the Creole City : The Rise of Literary Culture in Nineteenth-Century New Orleans by Rien Fertel
-  Church Confronts Modernity: Catholicism since 1950 in the United States, Ireland, and Quebec / Edition 1 - by Leslie Woodcock Tentler
-  The Encyclopedia of Caribbean Religions: Volume 1: A-L; Volume 2: M-Z by Patrick Taylor
-  Charity and the Great Hunger in Ireland: The Kindness of Strangers by Christine Kinealy
-  Democracy, Culture, Catholicism: Voices from Four Continents edited by Michael Schuck, John Crowley-Buck
-  Mission, Communion and Relationship: A Roman Catholic Response to the Crisis of Male Youths in Africa Mission, Communion and Relationship: A Roman Catholic Response to the Crisis of Male Youths in Africa by Peter Addai-Mensah
-  Diplomatic Missions of the Holy See in Hungary and East-Central Europe after theSecond World War by Margit BALOGH
-  University of Southern California: "WHY IS THE NUMBER OF CATHOLIC PRIESTS DIMINISHING IN PORTUGAL? ANALYSIS OF THE PERIOD 1960-2002 MOURAO, Paulo R.
-  Light a Candle. Encounters and Friendship with China. Festschrift in Honour of Angelo S. Lazzarotto P.I.M.E. Edited by Roman MALEK and Gianni CRIVELLER. (Collectanea Serica). Sankt Augustin, Institut Monumenta Serica; Nettetal, Steyler Verlag, 2010. viii+564 pp.
-  To Whom Does Christianity Belong?: Critical Issues in World Christianity By Dyron B. Daughrity
-  The Changing World Religion Map: Sacred Places, Identities, Practices and Politics Feb 3, 2015 by Stanley D. Brunn
-  Eine Marienerscheinung in Zeiten der Diktatur: der Konflikt um Peñablanca By Oliver Grasmück
- Sede Vacante Diocesan Administration By Nord Aaron Paul "A privately operated website, catholic.hierarchy.org, proved to have abundant and accurate data and was extremely helpful in finding and confirming the information in other sources"
- L'espresso - Chi siamo: "Elenco di siti di Chiese e religioni" retrieved November 14, 2015
- National Catholic Reporter: "Religious-order bishops are a long but contested tradition" by John L. Allen, Jr. February 17, 2009 | "Based on lists provided by the Catholic Hierarchy Web site (www.catholic-hierarchy.org)"
- Roman Catholic Arch / Bishops of the USA retrieved October 20, 2016
- Whispers in the Loggia: "The Pauline Ordination Conspiracy?" March 7, 2007
- "Hobby Turned Service to the Church - Interview With Web Master of Catholic-hierarchy.org" By Kathleen Naab Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine. March 29, 2011
- David M. Cheney (2013-05-24). "sources". Catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 2014-06-18.