Marriage Story (2019 film)
Marriage Story is a 2019 comedy-drama film written and directed by Noah Baumbach. It stars Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Laura Dern, Alan Alda, Ray Liotta, and follows a married couple going through a coast-to-coast divorce.
|Directed by||Noah Baumbach|
|Written by||Noah Baumbach|
|Music by||Randy Newman|
|Edited by||Jennifer Lame|
The project was announced in November 2017, with the cast joining that month. Filming took place in Los Angeles and New York City between January and April of the following year. It had its world premiere at Venice Film Festival on August 29, 2019, and is scheduled to receive a limited theatrical release on November 6, 2019, followed by digital streaming on December 6, 2019, by Netflix. The film has received universal acclaim from critics.
A stage director and an actress struggle through a grueling, coast-to-coast divorce that pushes them to their personal and creative extremes.
- Scarlett Johansson as Nicole
- Adam Driver as Charlie
- Laura Dern as Nora Fanshaw
- Alan Alda as Bert Spitz
- Ray Liotta as Jay
- Azhy Robertson as Henry
- Merritt Wever as Cassie
- Mark O'Brien as Carter
- Matthew Shear as Terry
- Brooke Bloom as Mary Ann
- Kyle Bornheimer as Ted
- Mickey Sumner as Beth
- Julie Hagerty as Sandra
- Wallace Shawn
- Martha Kelly
- Amir Talai as Amir
In November 2017, it was announced Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern, Merritt Wever and Azhy Robertson had joined the cast of the film, with Noah Baumbach directing from a screenplay he wrote. David Heyman produced the film under his Heyday Films banner, and Netflix agreed to produce and distribute the film. In March 2018, Kyle Bornheimer joined the cast of the film. In June 2018, it was announced Ray Liotta had been cast in the film.
Speaking of writing the film following his divorce to actress Jennifer Jason Leigh, Baumbach said:
"I have a real connection to the material ... [but] I was also at a time in my life where many of my friends were getting divorced. I saw it as an opportunity to do something more expansive, so I did a lot of research. I interviewed a lot of my friends, and friends of friends, and then also lawyers, judges, mediators."
Marriage Story had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on August 29, 2019. It also screened at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 8, 2019, where it was first runner-up for the People's Choice Award. It will also act as the Centerpiece selection at the New York Film Festival on October 4, 2019, and the BFI London Film Festival on October 6, 2019. It is scheduled to be released in a limited release on November 6, 2019, before digital streaming on December 6, 2019.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 100% based on 66 reviews, with an average rating of 9.21/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "Observing a splintering union with compassion and expansive grace, the powerfully acted Marriage Story ranks among writer-director Noah Baumbach's best works." Metacritic assigned the film a weighted average score of 95 out of 100, based on 19 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
Variety's Owen Gleiberman wrote: "At once funny, scalding, and stirring, built around two bravura performances of incredible sharpness and humanity, it's the work of a major film artist, one who shows that he can capture life in all its emotional detail and complexity — and, in the process, make a piercing statement about how our society now works." Alonso Duralde of TheWrap praised the performances and script, saying "One wonders if Baumbach left references to Kramer vs. Kramer or Two for the Road on the cutting-room floor, but either way, Marriage Story is a film that deserves to be mentioned in their company. It's devastating, essential, and destined to be remembered long after this awards cycle ends."
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Toronto International Film Festival||September 15, 2019||Grolsch People's Choice Award||Marriage Story||Runner-up|||
- "Randy Newman Scoring Noah Baumbach's Next Feature | Film Music Reporter". Film Music Reporter. July 17, 2019. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "Marriage Story". Toronto International Film Festival. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Film and Television Tax Credit Program Program 2.0 (PDF) (Report). California Film Commission. July 29, 2019. p. 4. Retrieved August 14, 2019.
- Kroll, Justin (November 17, 2017). "Noah Baumbach Casts Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern in Next Film". Variety. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern to star in Noah Baumbach's Next Movie". Tracking-Board.com. November 17, 2018. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "Untitled Noah Baumbach Project". Backstage.com. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 12, 2018). "'Steps': Kyle Bornheimer To Star In ABC Comedy Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Guerrasio, Jason (June 12, 2018). "Ray Liotta on working with Jennifer Lopez, why he's only been in one Scorsese movie, and not believing the Woody Allen sexual misconduct allegations". Business Insider. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Welch, Rebecca (January 10, 2018). "Laura Dern + More Join Secret Netflix Project". Backstage.com. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- ‘Marriage Story’ Was Personal For Noah Baumbach & Tells A More “Expansive” Tale Of The Pain Of Divorce — Venice
- Anderson, Ariston (July 25, 2019). "Venice Film Festival Unveils Lineup (Updating Live)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 25, 2019.
- Lang, Brent (July 23, 2019). "Toronto Film Festival: 'Joker,' 'Ford v Ferrari,' 'Hustlers' Among Big Premieres". Variety. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- "’Jojo Rabbit’ Wins Toronto’s Grolsch People’s Choice Award; Best Picture Oscar Predictor?". Deadline Hollywood, September 16, 2019.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (July 30, 2019). "Noah Baumbach-Directed 'Marriage Story' Set As New York Film Festival Centerpiece". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- "Marriage Story". BFI London Film Festival. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Mitchell, Robert (August 29, 2019). "'Jojo Rabbit,' 'The Aeronauts,' Netflix Titles Feature in London Film Festival Lineup". Variety. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- McClintock, Pamela (August 27, 2019). "Netflix Dates 'Marriage Story,' 'Laundromat' and Other Fall Award Films". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 27, 2019.
- "Marriage Story (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved September 20, 2019.
- "Marriage Story (2019)". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 20, 2019.
- Gleiberman, Owen (August 29, 2019). "Venice Film Review: 'Marriage Story'". Variety (magazine). Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Durande, Alonso (August 29, 2019). "'Marriage Story' Film Review: Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver Break Apart in Noah Baumbach's Devastating Drama". TheWrap. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Etan Vlessing, "Toronto: Taika Waititi's 'Jojo Rabbit' Wins Audience Award". The Hollywood Reporter, September 15, 2019.