Luminița Anghel (Romanian pronunciation: [lumiˈnit͡sa ˈaŋɡel]; born 7 October 1968) is a Romanian singer, TV personality and politician. She is internationally known for representing Romania at the Eurovision Song Contest 2005 along with percussion band Sistem. Their song, "Let Me Try", reached the third place in the final after placing first in the semi-finals; their appearance marks the country's best result in the contest along with 2010's "Playing with Fire" performed by Paula Seling and Ovi.
|Birth name||Luminița Anghel|
|Born||7 October 1968|
Anghel particularly experienced success in her native country with follow-up recordings, resulting her receiving an offer from Walt Disney Pictures to provide vocals for Tangled's Mother Gothel in 2010. The singer won numerous awards, including distinctions from Bulgaria and Malta.
Early life and early careerEdit
Luminița Anghel was born on 7 October 1968 in Bucharest, Romania. She is a graduate of the Popular Art School, where she attended the vocal-light music section and the Faculty of Sociology and Psychology within the university Spiru Haret. She loved performing during childhood, having performed from the age of 8. Since then, her artistic career has gone from strength to strength. These days, Anghel is a very popular and appreciated artist, and has been awarded with numerous prizes, both in domestic and international song contests. As a teenager, she began working with Ensemble "Doina". Along with this assembly she had a series of tournaments in her native country and abroad.
Anghel became known in Romania in 1993, when she won the first prize and the trophy at the Mamaia Music Festival, and 1995 she won the third prize at the same contest. Also in 1995, she starred in the film Captain Conan, directed by Bertrard Tavernier. In 2001, she won the first prize for the best performance, and the popularity-price at the International Festival The Golden Stag in Romania. One year later she came first at the Maltese Festival Song For Europe. Anghel was there awarded with the first prize and the trophy for the best international voice. Another trophies came for her few months later at the International festival Discovery, in Bulgaria, and the Universetalent. In 2003, she won the first prize for the best international performance at the International Festival Voice of Asia, the second prize at the International Creation Festival in Cairo 2003, with her own and first song I Ask You Why. Luminița is also a well-known and appreciated TV host for different programmes (mostly) on public television. She was a host at the channels TVR1, TVR2, TVRi and Antena 1.
From 2002 to 2009, she was a private party planner for events on ENTERTAINMENT INTL S.R.L. In 2008, she was chosen to be the image of Garnier in Romania for skin care. The claim was later forbidden by the Romanian CNA. Politicians, who candidate for something, cannot appear on the television.
Her single "Love Will Come" peaked at number 5 in Romania.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|1993||Mamaia Music Festival||Best Performer||Luminița Anghel||1st place|
|1994||Selecția Națională||Final||Nu e prea târziu||Qualified|
|1995||Mamaia Music Festival||Best Performer||Luminița Anghel||3rd Place|
|1996||Selecția Națională||Final||Încotro soartă||6th place|
|2000||M-ai înșelat||6th place|
|2001||Golden Stag Festival||Best Interpret||Luminița Anghel||1st place|
|Fan's special prize||Won|
|2002||The Best Voice in the Universtalent Festival||Jury's special prize||Won|
|Best Performer||3rd Place|
|Descovery||Best International Voice||1st place|
|Song For Europe||1st place|
|2003||Creation Festival||Best International Interpret||2nd place|
|Voice of Asia||1st place|
|2005||Selecția Națională||Final||Let Me Try||1st place|
|Eurovision Song Contest 2005||Semi-Final||1st Place|
|2010||Selecția Națională||Final||Save Their Lives||2nd place|
|2015||A Million Stars||2nd place|
|1998||Music Charts||VJ||Prima TV|
|1999–present||Care pe Care||TV host||TVR 1|
|2002||Pretul succesului (The price of success)||TV moderator||TVR 2|
|Ofertă specială (Special offer)||TV host||TVRi|
|2003–present||Start în viață (Start in life)|
|2005–present||Ești femeia perfecta? (Are you the perfect woman)|
|2005||Secretul Mariei (Maria's secret)||Eli||10 episodes|
|Piata Divertis (The Divertis-market)||Herself||TVRi||sung Let Me Try, 1 episode|
|Trasniti in NATO (Crazy people in NATO)||1 episode|
|2006||Da-i papucii (Leave him)||TV host||Antena 1|
|2014||X Factor||Herself||duet with Mădălina Lefter|
|1996||Capitanul Conan (Captain Conan)||cameo||TVR|
|2010||Tangled||Mama Gothel (voice)||Disney Channel|
- A Poem is... - Narrator - The Mother Song (Romanian version) from Disney Junior block program 
Luminița Anghel married her partner, Silviu Dumitriade, in a private civil ceremony, in the Mangalia beach, in Romania, in October 2011. The couple remarried each other, this time in a Christian Orthodox religious ceremony in Spain at 20 March 2012.
Eurovision Song ContestEdit
Luminița Anghel, along with Tony Tomas and Adrian Piper participated in Selecția Națională 2010 on 6 March 2010. They presented their song "Save Their Lives" in a bid to represent Romania at the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest. In 2013, Anghel attempted to represent Romania, entering Selecția Națională with the song "Unique." Her song placed third overall.
At the 2008 Romanian legislative election, she was a Social Democratic candidate for a Bucharest seat in the Chamber of Deputies; she lost to Elena Udrea.
"I realize that the life of a politician is not as simple as it looks on TV and in the press. Many scurry need information, heated discussions, sleepless nights, meetings with people, to always be attentive to what is happening around you. I want to be seen as a human, and not as an artist or politician. I don't entered politics to become a star. I am one. I also don't entered politics because I want more money. I already have enough to live a decent life together with my family. I even don't entered politics to ensure "a warm place". I don't chose randomly PSD. I want to get involved. I chose PSD, because that's a big and strong party, which is based on principles of equality and social justice, fighting for a system of social protection, and because I hope to keep a promise, to support me in my projects. Elena Udrea is not my rival. I have my own campaign. When the contracandidat is stronger, you harder wanna win."
|Title||Albums details||Release date|
|Șansa e de partea mea||
||March 3, 2001|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Let Me Try"
|"Love Will Come"||5|
|"I Ask You Why"||2010||—|
|"Save Their Lives"||—|
|"You Took My Soul"||—|
|"A Million Stars"||2015||—|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart, or was not released in that territory.|
- ^ Luminița Anghel dublează "O poveste încâlcită" (in Romanian)
- ^ Ce studii au vedetele noastre? (in Romanian)
- ^ Luminița Anghel at the Internet Movie Database
- ^ "Luminiţa Anghel, în cel mai nou spot semnat Publicis > Stiri > IAA Romania". Archived from the original on 2015-04-18. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
- ^ "Romanian Top 100". www.rt100.ro. Archived from the original on 2 July 2006. Retrieved 12 January 2022.
- ^ Luminița Anghel în distribuția "Secretul Mariei", "Piața Divertis" și "Trăsniți în NATO" (in Romanian)
- ^ J'taime (featuring Luminița Anghel) on youtube.com
- ^ Luminița Anghel biography on cinemagia.ro
- ^ Dublaj "Tangled" in Română (in Romanian)
- ^ "Luminiţa Anghel recită poezii la Disney Junior". 25 May 2011.
- ^ Luminita Anghel s-a casatorit religios, intr-o zi de luni, in Spania (in Romanian) Archived 2012-10-28 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ "Cezar takes it home for Romania | News | Eurovision Song Contest - Copenhagen 2014". Eurovision.tv. 2013-03-09. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- ^ "Luminita Anghel - "Let me try"... to be a politician | Eurovision Song Contest 2013 in Malmö". EuroVisionary. 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- ^ "Luminita Anghel, candidat PSD de Bucuresti" (in Romanian) Archived 2008-12-01 at the Wayback Machine, România Liberă, September 26, 2008
- ^ (in Romanian) Election results Archived 2018-10-16 at the Wayback Machine, alegeri.tv
- ^ Șansa e de partea mea (on abcmuzical.ro) Archived 2015-03-13 at archive.today
- ^ "Artisti - Luminita Anghel". Archived from the original on 2015-03-13. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- ^ https://itunes.apple.com/de/album/promisiuni-feat.-luminita/id586928619?l=en[bare URL]
- ^ For peak positions in Romania
- For "Let Me Try": "Ediția 34, săptămâna 29.08 – 04.09, 2005" (in Romanian). Romanian Top 100. Archived from the original on 2005-09-01. Retrieved 11 July 2017.
- For "Love Will Come": "Romanian Top 100" (in Romanian). Romanian Top 100. Archived from the original on 2 July 2006. Retrieved 3 February 2018.