Luke Aikins (born November 21, 1973) is an American professional skydiver, BASE jumper, pilot, and aerial photographer. He is the first person to intentionally dive from mid-tropospheric altitude and land safely without a parachute or a wingsuit and the second skydiver to intentionally and safely land without using a parachute.[nb 1]
|Occupation||Skydiver, pilot, stuntman, photographer|
|Known for||First person to intentionally skydive without a parachute or a wingsuit and survive|
|Spouse(s)||Monica Lee Aikins|
Aikins has coached United States Navy SEALs and NASCAR's Brian Vickers, and has advised the military on skydiving techniques. He is also a safety and training advisor for the United States Parachute Association. He is also an aerial photographer and his photos have been published in major magazines and newspapers. He has completed more than 18,000 jumps since he started skydiving at age 12.
July 2016 jumpEdit
|Heaven Sent Stride Gum Presents Heaven Sent: A Mad Intense Jump|
|Local news interview Luke Aikins 25,000-Foot Freefall|
On July 30, 2016, Aikins jumped from an aircraft without any parachute or wingsuit at an altitude of 25,000 feet (7,620 m) above Simi Valley, California, watched by a live audience. After about two minutes of free fall he successfully landed in a 100-by-100-foot (30 by 30 m) net just outside of Simi Valley, California. Aikins reached a terminal velocity of 120 miles per hour (193 km/h) during the fall. The net was made from Spectra, a high-density polyethylene cord. It had four compressed air cylinders designed to gently slow him down after impact.
Although several news articles headlines describe Aikins achievement by focusing on the fact that he jumped and went to freefall without parachute, many others have jumped from aircraft without having a parachute when they departed the plane - they were either handed a parachute by a fellow jumper while in freefall or maneuvered to a container carrying a parachute, with first successes dating back to 1965. Others have jumped out of an aircraft and returned to the same or another aircraft without making use of parachute.
- "Luke Aikins". Red Bull. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Dunlap, Tiare (July 26, 2016). "Meet the Husband and Father Who's Skydiving from 25,000 Feet Without a Parachute". People. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Skydiver Luke Aikins makes parachute-free jump". CBS News.
- Campbell, Ricky (July 30, 2016). "'Heaven Sent' Luke Aikins: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.com. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Rogers, John (July 31, 2016). "Skydiver becomes first person to jump and land without chute, a net was used,". The Washington Post. Associated Press. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Skydiver to jump from plane without a parachute on live TV". The Guardian. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Skydiver becomes first person to jump and land without chute". Herald & Review. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Cooper, Charlie (May 23, 2012). "Gary Connery lands safely after 2,400 ft helicopter jump without parachute". The Independent. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Contracting Profile: Para Tactics LLC Shelton WA". govtribe.com. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Skydiver becomes first person to jump and land without a parachute". Mashable. Associated Press. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Staff. "Profile – Luke Aikins | D-21189". parachutistonline.com. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Astor, Maggie (July 30, 2016). "Skydiver Survives Jump From 25,000 Feet, and Without a Parachute". The New York Times. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Luke Aikins". Red Bull Stratos. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Levine, Aaron (July 18, 2016). "Graham's Luke Aikins prepares for 25,000-foot jump without a parachute". KCPQ. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "World first: Skydiver plummets 25,000 feet -- with no parachute". CNN. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Daredevil survives 25,000-foot jump without chute over Simi Valley | Video". Ventura County Star. Associated Press. July 30, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- "Skydiver Luke Aikins Lands History-Making Jump From 25,000 Feet – With No Parachute or Wing Suit – For "Stride Gum Presents Heaven Sent"" (Press release). Mondelez International. July 31, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2016 – via PR Newswire.
- "This Man Jumped Out of a Plane With No Parachute". National Geographic. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Jumping without a parachute". The Washington Post. August 23, 2013. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "Plane to Plane Exchange". Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "Wingsuit History". Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "Skydiver makes history by jumping 25,000 feet into a net without a parachute". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Luke Aikins skydives into net without parachute in record stunt". Fox Sports.
| Highest jump without a parachute (7.620 km)
July 30, 2016 – present