Louis I, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Louis I of Zweibrücken (German: Pfalzgraf Ludwig I. von Pfalz-Zweibrücken "der Schwarze"; 1424 – 19 July 1489) was Count Palatine and Duke of Zweibrücken and of Veldenz from 1444 until his death in 1489.
|Louis I of Zweibrücken|
|Died||19 July 1489 (aged 64–65)|
|Noble family||House of Wittelsbach|
|Spouse(s)||Johanna of Croÿ|
|Father||Stefan, Count Palatine of Simmern-Zweibrücken|
|Mother||Anna of Veldenz|
He was the younger son of Stefan, Count Palatine of Simmern-Zweibrücken and his wife Anna, heiress of the County of Veldenz, whom he had wed in 1409. Although Anne died in 1439, her widower did not obtain Veldenz from her family until 1444. In that year, Stefan decided how his territories would be divided upon his death, allocating Simmern to his elder son, Frederick and Zweibrucken to his younger son Louis, combining with it Veldenz and most of the County of Sponheim.
Family and childrenEdit
- Margarete (1456–1527), married in 1470 to Count Philip of Nassau-Idstein.
- Kaspar (1458–1527).
- Johanna (1459–1520), a nun at Marienberg near Boppard
- Anna (1461–1520), a nun at Marienberg near Boppard.
- Alexander (1462–1514).
- David (1463–1478).
- Albrecht (1464–1513), a canon in Strassburg and Köln.
- Katharina (1465–1542), Abbess of St.Agnes, Trier.
- Philipp (1467–1489), a canon in Strassburg.
- Johann (1468–1513), a canon in Strassburg and Köln.
- Elisabeth (1469–1500), married in 1492 to Count John Louis of Nassau-Saarbrücken.
- Samson (1474–1480)
|Ancestors of Louis I, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken|
Louis I, Count Palatine of ZweibrückenBorn: 1424 Died: 19 July 1489
| Count palatine of Zweibrücken
Kaspar and Alexander
| Count of Veldenz|
- Michel Huberty, Alain Giraud and F. & B. Magdelaine, L'Allemagne Dynastique, volume 4 (1985)pages 33-40.