List of Wigan Athletic F.C. records and statistics
Wigan Athletic Football Club is a professional football team based in Wigan, Greater Manchester. The club was formed in 1932, and joined the Football League in 1978. Wigan Athletic currently compete in the second tier of English football, the Football League Championship. In 2014/2015 Wigan was relegated to the football's third tier League one.
- First competitive match: Wigan Athletic 0–2 Port Vale Reserves, Cheshire League, 27 August 1932.
- First FA Cup match: Wigan Athletic 1–1 Great Harwood, preliminary round, 16 September 1933.
- First Northern Premier League match: Scarborough 0–2 Wigan Athletic, 10 August 1968.
- First Football League match: Hereford United 0–0 Wigan Athletic, 19 August 1978.
- Record win: 14 - 0 against Chorley (pre-season friendly) 1 August 2017
- Record Football League win: 7–0 v Oxford United, League One, 23 December 2017.
- Record Football League defeat: 1–9 v Tottenham Hotspur, Premier League, 2009.
- Youngest player ever : Jensen Weir, aged 15 years, on 7 November 2017.
- Oldest player ever: Dave Beasant, 43 years, 235 days, v Doncaster Rovers, 12 November 2002.
- Most League appearances: Kevin Langley, 317, 1981–1986 & 1990–1994.
- Most consecutive League appearances: Jimmy Bullard, 123, January 2003 to December 2005.
- Most goals in the League: 70, Andy Liddell, 1998–2004.
- Most League goals scored in a season: 31, Graeme Jones, 1996–97.
- Most goals in the Premiership: 24, Hugo Rodallega, 2009-2012.
- Most goals at the DW Stadium: 41, Nathan Ellington, 2002-2005.
- Highest transfer fee paid: Charles N'Zogbia, £7 million,[A] February 2009.
- Highest transfer fee received: Antonio Valencia, £15 million, June 2009.
Progressive record fees paidEdit
|January 1982||Eamonn O'Keefe||Everton||£65,000|
|July 1995||Chris Lightfoot||Chester City||£87,500|
|November 1995||Kevin Sharp||Leeds United||£100,000|
|July 1996||Graeme Jones||Doncaster Rovers||£150,000|
|April 1997||Roy Carroll||Hull City||£350,000|
|October 1998||Simon Haworth||Coventry City||£600,000|
|March 2001||Lee McCulloch||Motherwell||£700,000|
|September 2001||Tony Dinning||Wolverhampton Wanderers||£750,000|
|March 2002||Nathan Ellington||Bristol Rovers||£1,200,000|
|January 2004||Jason Roberts||West Bromwich Albion||£2,000,000|
|August 2005||Henri Camara||Wolverhampton Wanderers||£3,000,000|
|July 2006||Emile Heskey||Birmingham City||£5,500,000|
|January 2009||Charles N'Zogbia||Newcastle United||£7,000,000|
Progressive record fees receivedEdit
|February 1980||Joe Hinnigan||Sunderland||£130,000|
|February 1986||Warren Aspinall||Everton||£150,000|
|August 1991||Peter Atherton||Coventry City||£329,000|
|July 2001||Roy Carroll||Manchester United||£2,500,000|
|August 2005||Nathan Ellington||West Bromwich Albion||£3,000,000|
|August 2006||Pascal Chimbonda||Tottenham Hotspur||£4,500,000|
|August 2007||Leighton Baines||Everton||£6,000,000|
|January 2009||Wilson Palacios||Tottenham Hotspur||£12,000,000|
|June 2009||Antonio Valencia||Manchester United||£16,000,000|
- A. ^ Wigan paid Newcastle United £6 million for N'Zogbia, with Ryan Taylor (valued at £1 million) transferring to Newcastle in a part-exchange deal.
- Hayes, Dean (1996). The Latics: The Official History of Wigan Athletic F.C. Harefield: Yore Publications. ISBN 1-874427-91-7.
- Hayes. The Latics: The official history of Wigan Athletic F.C. p. 48.
- Hayes. The Latics: The official history of Wigan Athletic F.C. p. 63.
- "Records & Honours". Wigan Athletic F.C. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Latics A-Z : Alan Mahon to Steve Nugent". Ye Olde Tree and Crown. Retrieved 24 January 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Jewell: 'Beasant Will Start'". Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Springfield Spark". 22 July 2009. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2011.