Line 2 (Naples)
|Transit type||rapid transit|
|Number of lines||1|
|Number of stations||12|
|Number of vehicles||ALe 724|
Jazz (ETR 425)
|System length||18.9 km|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in)|
Line 2 operates on the urban railway, which crosses the city of Naples from west to east. All regional trains, differently from metropolitan trains, are received by Campi Flegrei station in different platforms.
Line 2 also has some minor regional extensions. These are the Naples-Caserta and Naples-Salerno (all these services use the Passante rapid transit railway, of which the latter two start from Campi Flegrei station).
The construction of the line, part of the ″direttissima″ Rome–Naples, was begun in 1911 and after a suspension during World War I, it was completed in 1925 between Pozzuoli and Piazza Garibaldi, electrified with third rail. Two years later the ″direttissima″ was completed, and the electrical rail service was extended towards Villa Literno and San Giovanni-Barra.
In 1997, the line was numbered as Line 2, while the other Naples Metro line became Line 1. The two lines were connected with a pedestrian tunnel between Museo and Cavour in 2002 and in Garibaldi station in 2012
In 2001, operation of the line was taken over by Metronapoli SpA, a newly established joint stock company in which Trenitalia held a 38% stake. However, in November 2005, operation of line 2 was transferred back to Trenitalia, and that company sold its Metronapoli shares to the municipal government.
Since 2009, the line is crossed only by metropolitan trains.
|Napoli Campi Flegrei||1925||Cumana railway, Metro Line 6|
|Napoli Piazza Leopardi||1927|
|Napoli Mergellina||1925||Metro Line 6|
|Napoli Piazza Amedeo||1925||Chiaia Funicular|
|Napoli Montesanto||1925||Circumflegrea railway, Cumana railway, Montesanto funicular|
|Napoli Piazza Cavour||1925||Metro Line 1|
|Napoli Piazza Garibaldi||1925||Central railway station, Circumvesuviana (Line 3, Line 4), Metro Line 1|
|Napoli San Giovanni-Barra||2014|
- Metropolitana di Napoli L2
- Giovanni Cornolò: Automotrici elettriche dalle origini al 1983. Duegi Editrice, 2011, p. 28.
- Giovanni Cornolò: Automotrici elettriche dalle origini al 1983. Duegi Editrice, 2011, p. 30.
- Webb, Mary (ed.) (2009). Jane's Urban Transport Systems 2009-2010, pp. 192–193. Coulsdon, Surrey (UK): Jane's Information Group. ISBN 978-0-7106-2903-6.
- Trenitalia official timetable, 2013.
- Giovanni Cornolò: Automotrici elettriche dalle origini al 1983. Duegi Editrice, 2011, p. 50.
- Giovanni Cornolò: Automotrici elettriche dalle origini al 1983. Duegi Editrice, 2011, p. 63.
- Giovanni Cornolò: Automotrici elettriche dalle origini al 1983. Duegi Editrice, 2011, p. 275–276.
- Ordine di Servizio FS n. 101, 1927
Media related to Line 2 (Naples metro) at Wikimedia Commons