Janes Information Services
Jane's Information Group, now styled Janes, is a global open-source intelligence company specialising in military, national security, aerospace and transport topics, whose name derives from British author Fred T. Jane.
|Parent company||Montagu Private Equity|
|Founder||Fred T. Jane|
|Country of origin||England|
|Headquarters location||Coulsdon, Surrey|
|Publication types||Databases, information, books, periodicals|
|Nonfiction topics||Military, Defence, National Security, Aerospace, Transportation, Open-source intelligence|
Jane's Information Group was founded in 1898 by Fred T. Jane, who had begun sketching ships as an enthusiast naval artist while living in Portsmouth. This gradually developed into an encyclopedic knowledge, culminating in the publishing of All the World's Fighting Ships (1898). The company then gradually branched out into other areas of military expertise. The books and trade magazines published by the company are often considered the de facto public source of information on warfare and transportation systems.
Based in Greater London for most of its existence, the group was owned by the Thomson Corporation, The Woodbridge Company,[when?] then IHS Markit, before being acquired by Montagu Private Equity in 2019.
The company name is officially Jane's Information Group, and it is as of 2021[update] located in Coulsdon, Surrey. The company continues to provide open-source intelligence in the defence, security, aerospace and transport sectors.
Of their publications, books (published annually) include Jane's All the World's Aircraft, Jane's Fighting Ships, Jane's Military Communications, Jane's World Air Forces, Jane's World Navies, and Jane's World Railways. Periodicals include Jane's Airport Review (discontinued), Jane's Defence Weekly, Jane's Intelligence Review, Jane's International Defence Review, Jane's Navy International, and Jane's Police Review (discontinued). Jane's All the World's Aircraft and Fighting Ships are included in the 2019 edition of the AP stylebook as references for proper notation of aircraft and military ship names.
- Brooks, Richard (1997). Fred T Jane: An Eccentric Visionary. Coulsdon, Surrey, England: Jane's Information Group. ISBN 0710617518.
- Press release (12 June 2007). "IHS Acquires Jane's Information Group –Move Creates Global Powerhouse for Aerospace, Defense and Security Insight and Analysis", IHS.com. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- "Montagu picks up Jane's from IHS Markit". PitchBook. 25 September 2019. Retrieved 9 April 2021.
- "Jane's Information Group [Library catalogue name authority]", Trove, retrieved 9 April 2021
- Library of Congress. "Search Authorities". Library of Congress Authorities.
- "Jane's Information Group Limited". The Construction Index. 9 April 2021. Retrieved 9 April 2021.
- "What we do". Janes.com. 3 April 2020. Retrieved 9 April 2021.
- Jane's yearbooks, 1990–91 & 2000–01 issues
- IHS Web site
- The Associated Press Stylebook 2019 and briefing on media law. Froke, Paula,, Bratton, Anna Jo,, Garcia, Oskar,, McMillan, Jeff,, Minthorn, David,, Schwartz, Jerry (54th ed.). New York. ISBN 978-0-917360-68-8. OCLC 1110729843.CS1 maint: others (link)