Library Genesis or LibGen is a search engine for articles and books on various topics, which allows free access to content that is otherwise paywalled or not digitized elsewhere. Among others, it carries PDFs of content from Elsevier's ScienceDirect web-portal.
|Available in||English, Russian|
In 2015, the website became involved in a legal case when Elsevier accused it of providing pirate access to articles and books. LibGen is reported to be registered in both Russia and Amsterdam, making it unclear which legislation applies, and whether defendants will show up in a United States court hearing. LibGen is blocked by a number of ISPs in the United Kingdom, but such DNS-based blocks are claimed to do little to deter access. In late October 2015, the District Court for the Southern District of New York ordered LibGen to shut down and to suspend use of the domain name (libgen.org), but the site is accessible through alternate domains.
- On the LibGen homepage hover over topics. (http://libgen.io/#)
- Cabanac, Guillaume (April 2015). "Bibliogifts in LibGen? A study of a text-sharing platform driven by biblioleaks and crowdsourcing" (PDF). Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 67 (4): 874–884. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.698.4283. doi:10.1002/asi.23445. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Glance, David. "Elsevier acts against research article pirate sites and claims irreparable harm". Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- Mance, Henry; Correspondent, Media (2015-05-26). "Publishers win landmark case against ebook pirates". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- "UK ISPs must block ebook pirate sites (Wired UK)". Wired UK. 2015-05-27. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Court Orders Shutdown of Libgen, Bookfi and Sci-Hub - TorrentFreak". TorrentFreak. 2 November 2015. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Schiermeier, Quirin (2015). "Pirate research-paper sites play hide-and-seek with publishers". Nature. doi:10.1038/nature.2015.18876. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- "Sci-hub, bookfi and libgen resurface after being shut down". TorrentFreak. 21 November 2015. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "LibGen.pw Home Page". LibGen.pw. Library Genesis. Archived from the original on 5 June 2018. Retrieved 4 June 2018.