This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Leonid Ivanovich Popov
Leonid Popov and Valery Ryumin in USSR postage stamp, 1981
|Nationality||Soviet / Ukrainian|
|Awards||Hero of the Soviet Union (2)|
|Rank||Major General, Soviet Air Force|
Time in space
|200d 14h 45m|
|Selection||Air Force Group 5|
|Missions||Soyuz 35/Soyuz 37, Soyuz 40, Soyuz T-7/Soyuz T-5|
Popov was born in Oleksandriia, Kirovohrad Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. He was selected as a cosmonaut on April 27, 1970, and flew as Commander on Soyuz 35, Soyuz 40 and Soyuz T-7, logging 200 days, 14 hours, and 45 minutes in space before his retirement on June 13, 1987. Popov is married with two children.
He was awarded:
- Twice Hero of the Soviet Union;
- Three Orders of Lenin;
- Medal "For Merit in Space Exploration" (Russian Federation);
- Pilot-Cosmonaut of the USSR;
- Honoured Master of Sport.
- Hero of the Socialist Republic of Romania;
- Hero of the Republic of Cuba
- Hero of Socialist Labour (Vietnam);
- Order of Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam) .