|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Gérard Perrodin|
|6.84 km2 (2.64 sq mi)|
|• Density||190/km2 (480/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||366–653 m (1,201–2,142 ft) |
(avg. 608 m or 1,995 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Originally, it was a market village in a rural area known for viticulture and other agricultural crops. As in areas of Italy, the ancient village developed around a fortress chateau built on a hilltop for defensive purposes. Dwellings of commoners were built outside the walls of the chateau. The village has a central square with a fountain and a market cross. Agricultural fields extend away from the limits of the village, so the people lived near each other in the village and would travel outside to the fields and vineyards to work.
In popular cultureEdit
- The activities of the World War II resistance in Le Crest were the subject of the third series of the 1989 television drama Wish Me Luck.
- Samuel Gance's historical novel, Anton ou la trajectoire d'un père (2013), recounts the adventurous life of Father Anton Docher after he emigrated to the United States. Much of it is set in the village. It describes the life of the wine growers of the 19th century.
- Anton Docher, was born in Le Crest. He later became a Catholic missionary who traveled to America and defended the New Mexico natives.
- Jim Rotondi, American jazz trumpeter and flugelhornist lives in Le Crest. One of his compositions entitled "Le Crest" is dedicated to the village on his album "Dark Blue" (2016).
- Aurélien Rougerie, rugby team player, capitain of ASM et French champion in 2010 and 2017 lived in Le Crest.
- "Décret 2014-210 du 21 février 2014 portant délimitation des cantons dans le département du Puy-de-Dôme" [2014-210 decree delimiting cantons of Puy-de-Dôme department]. Légifrance (in French). 21 February 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020. Retrieved 7 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2018". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 28 December 2020.
- Samuel Gance. Anton ou la trajectoire d'un père. L'Harmattan, 2013, p.1-52 et p.101-110.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Le Crest.|