LayaBox ( Souyou Network Technology Beijing Co., Ltd.), also named Laya, is a freeware framework which include cross-platform game engine targeting apps and HTML5 web browsers, as well as online publishing and digital distribution services. First announced on the Global Mobile Game Confederation in March 2015, it offers a list of rich Internet application lightweight and stable, suitable for developers and publishers.
|Original author(s)||Xie ChengHong(CEO)|
|Developer(s)||Souyou Network Technology Beijing Co., Ltd.|
|Initial release||May 20, 2015:.|
|Available in||English, Chinese|
Founded in 2014 by Xie ChengHong, LayaBox was at the start mainly focused on high-performance transcompiling flash game coded in ActionScript 3.0 to HTML5/WebGL. It has since been extended to offer more tools and features for the developers with full support for commercialization.
During the International Game Developers Conference held in November 2015, Xie ChengHong announced a new 3D engine is currently being developed. 30 June 2016, LayaAir 1.0 is published on official website, with 3D and VR support features.
Name and mascotEdit
The name "Layabox" was inspired from Laya village, nestled at the foot of the Himalaya. Logo's company, a shape of front primate face, referred to Yeti, which is a famous story in the region. Also lot of monasteries may contain a sacred box which remain inside some body part of this legendary creature like scalp or fur.
Technology and featuresEdit
LayaFlash is source-to-source compiler that runs as a back end to the LLVM compiler, making it the most suitable for ActionScript 3.0 programmers to release on HTML5 platform. It is also fully compatible with Flash IDE such as FlashBuilder, FDT, FlashDevelop  or LayaAir IDE.
- UI library primitives with the most common GUI elements in game scene. (both Canvas and WebGL mode support)
- 2D skeletal animation by interpolation with timeline, GPU skinning for 3D.
- 2D/3D particle system.
- VR view mode.
- Audio libraries and sound controller. ( wrap OpenAL for mobile and HTML5 Audio for web browser)
- Composite, blend and basic filters operation Canvas/sprite.
- Various Event-driven programming with event Bubbling and Capturing.
- Compatibility with some additional frameworks: Starling, MornUI
Written in C and C++, LayaPlayer (codenamed Conch) is a runtime accelerator for Android and iOS to execute HTML5 games with low memory footprint, low CPU consumption, logic render with dual core running, GPU acceleration, video memory intelligent management and extremely optimized rendering flow with high FPS result. Supports Canvas, WebGL and DOM-type engine. HTML5 web-based applications, released with LayaPlayer, run on mobile at near-native speeds.
It is possible to call native library function from HTML5 code.
Related to publication services, LayaPublish helps channels mainstream companies to acquire internet traffic. Available as RIA form, it gives also an opportunity for developers to spread their game visibility in wide portal
LayaStore is an embedded program which can run directly into native applications, it gives access to a full list of HTML5 APP games from LayaBox store. Introduced as a lightweight (20 Kb) add-on component to head into a monetization for developers. They can generate revenue on either a microtransaction or numbers of mobile installation basis service.
LayaOpen is a platform exchange offers revenue management and leaderboard statistics activities for developers and channels distributors. Both can get product information and feedback on User data , Social sharing / analytics and monthly active users
Developers Account lets users connect all of their game product across all distribution channels platform. Mobile marketing technology is the main target audiences.
Games using the Laya solutionsEdit
Awards and recognitionEdit
This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "Layabox—Flash最新日志". LayaBox release history (in Chinese).
- "LayaAir Release History". LayaAir Release History (in Chinese).
- LayaBox official website
- "Layabox联合GMGC共同揭幕HTML5行业首部白皮书" (in Chinese). Sina Games. 2015-04-24.
- "Layabox—Flash拥抱H5". pcgames (in Chinese). March 2015.
- "Layabox引擎用HTML5还原3D端游". china.com (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 2016-01-07.
- "E3 exhibitor" (PDF).
- "Layabox引擎用HTML5还原3D端游". 18Touch. 2015-11-22.
- "LayaAir1.0：不仅仅是H5，更是一场游戏变革". sootoo. 2016-06-30.
- Xu Lin (2016-07-07). "Layabox unveils new game engine". China Daily.
- "LayaBox旗下重磅产品Laya.Flash今开放". Sina Games (in Chinese). May 2015.
- "LayaBox产品Laya.Flash今日开放". QQGames (in Chinese). May 2015.
- "TFC采访LayaBox谢成鸿". QQGames (in Chinese). September 2015.
- "直接用Flash AS3语言开发HTML5的引擎". CSDN blog (in Chinese). January 2016.
- "Html5 development with LayaFlash and Flash develop". 9miao (in Chinese). June 2015.
- "LayaAir引擎入门教程：一篇学会用TypeScript语言开发HTML5". zhihu (in Chinese). May 2016.
- "HTML5行业首款3D游戏及VR DEMO曝出". Lupa World (in Chinese).
- "LayaBox content tutorial". layabox official dev center (in Chinese).
- XiaoWei (2016-07-01). "2015年HTML5游戏完整产业链报告" (in Chinese). China Daily.
- SyKong (2015-07-13). "HTML5台风来袭" (in Chinese). Sohu.
- "Interview with Xie ChengHong, Layabox CEO" (in Chinese). Phoenix Game凤凰游戏. 2015-10-26.
- Showcase, Games
- "Layabox本月将上线四款大型HTML5游戏". h5god.com (in Chinese). 2015-12-24.
- ‹See Tfd›(in Chinese)Layabox独代《天天猎人》《三国志乱挂》 Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine, Hagoot Games
- "2015年HTML5游戏面临的机遇和挑战". QQGames (in Chinese). 2015-12-07.
- 2015年度最佳引擎奖. LayaBox News (in Chinese). 2016-01-07.
- "Layabox荣膺"2015年度最佳引擎奖"". 91手游网 (in Chinese). 2016-01-08.
- Official website
- Github LayaAir Wiki guide
- ‹See Tfd›(in Chinese) LayaAir samples and source code
- ‹See Tfd›(in Chinese) Layabox Baidu Baike Page
- ‹See Tfd›(in Chinese) TFC2015 - LayaPlayer HTML5 benchmark release run 3 times faster than Unity
- ‹See Tfd›(in Chinese) LayaFlash installation tutorial with FlashDevelop
- ‹See Tfd›(in Chinese) LayaWorld book overview used for TFC秋季特刊
- ‹See Tfd›(in Chinese) Laya devCenter guide