Lady and the Tramp (2019 film)
Lady and the Tramp is an upcoming American romance film directed by Charlie Bean from a screenplay by Andrew Bujalski and Kari Granlund. The film is a live-action adaptation of Walt Disney’s 1955 animated film of the same name, which was based on the Cosmopolitan magazine story of Happy Dan, The Cynical Dog by Ward Greene. It is set to be released exclusively on November 12, 2019 on Disney+, making it the first remake to not receive a theatrical release.
|Lady and the Tramp|
Official release poster
|Directed by||Charlie Bean|
|Produced by||Brigham Taylor|
|Screenplay by||Andrew Bujalski|
|Music by||Joseph Trapanese|
The film stars Tessa Thompson and Justin Theroux as the voices of the titular characters with Kiersey Clemons, Thomas Mann, Yvette Nicole Brown, Ken Jeong, and F. Murray Abraham in live-action roles. Sam Elliott, Ashley Jensen, and Janelle Monáe also feature in the voice cast. The film will be dedicated to Chris Reccardi, a storyboard artist who died on May 2, 2019 of a heart attack.
Lady and the Tramp is set to tell the story of "an upper-middle-class American cocker spaniel named Lady (voiced by Tessa Thompson) who meets a streetsmart, downtown stray Schnauzer called the Tramp (voiced by Justin Theroux), and the two embark on many romantic adventures including that iconic spaghetti smooch scene."
- Kiersey Clemons as Darling Dear
- Thomas Mann as Jim Dear
- Yvette Nicole Brown as Aunt Sarah, the aunt of Jim
- Adrian Martinez as Elliot, a dog-catcher
- Arturo Castro as Marco
- Ken Jeong
- F. Murray Abraham
- Tessa Thompson as Lady, an American Cocker Spaniel
- Justin Theroux as Tramp, a Schnauzer-mutt
- Sam Elliott as Trusty, a Bloodhound
- Ashley Jensen as Jock, a Scottish Terrier
- Janelle Monáe as Peg, a Pekingese
- Benedict Wong as Bull, a Bulldog
New versions of the Siamese Cats are also set to appear in the film, though the characters won't be depicted as Chinese due to their perceived racial stereotyping.
On February 8, 2018, it was announced that Walt Disney Pictures was developing a live-action adaptation of the 1955 animated film Lady and the Tramp. The film was expected to premiere on the then-unnamed upcoming streaming service that was set to launch in the fall of 2019. On March 19, 2018, it was announced that film was set to be directed by Charlie Bean from a screenplay by Andrew Bujalski with Brigham Taylor serving as a producer.
In July 2018, it was announced that Ashley Jensen, Justin Theroux, and Sam Elliott had been cast in the voice roles of Jackie, Tramp, and Trusty, respectively. Additionally, it was reported that Kiersey Clemons was in talks for the live-action role of Darling, Lady's human owner. In August 2018, it was reported that Tessa Thompson and Benedict Wong had been cast in the voice roles of Lady and Bull, respectively, and that Thomas Mann had been cast in the live-action role of Jim Dear. In September 2018, it was announced that Yvette Nicole Brown and Adrian Martinez had been cast in the live-action roles of Aunt Sarah and the dog-catcher Elliot, respectively. In October 2018, it was announced Arturo Castro had been cast in the live-action role of Marco and that Janelle Monáe had been cast in the voice role of Peg.
The production utilized real dogs to portray the film's titular characters with a dog named Rose portraying Lady in the film. About three months prior to the start of filming, the animals started their training for the film. Tramp is physically portrayed by Monte, a rescue dog, while Jackie was renamed Jock shortly before filming began.
Voice work for the film was scheduled to begin in July 2018 with principal photography of the film's live-action externally filmed portions were expected to last from September 10, 2018 to November 7, 2018 in Savannah, Georgia. Locations were set to include Johnson Square and Wright Square. Filming on an indoor soundstage took place through December 2018.
The film will feature a new version of "The Siamese Cat Song", performed by Janelle Monáe. The song will be re-written by Nate "Rocket" Wonder, Roman GianArthur, and Monáe due to both its modern-day perceived racist connotations and to fit the characters' depictions in the film. Monáe will also perform two new songs for the film. On August 23, 2019, Joseph Trapanese was revealed to be composing the film's score.
- "Joseph Trapanese Scoring Disney+'s 'Lady and the Tramp'". Film Music Reporter. August 23, 2019. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ Production Designer Confirmed To Work On Disney’s Live-Action ‘The Sword In The Stone’ Movie
- "Lady and the Tramp - Official Trailer - Disney+ - Streaming November 12". YouTube. August 23, 2019.
- Wiseman, Andreas (July 25, 2018). "Disney's 'Lady And The Tramp' Reboot Sets First Cast With 'Extras' & 'Sherlock Gnomes' Actress Ashley Jensen". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- Donnelly, Matt; Willman, Chris (May 6, 2019). "'Lady and the Tramp' Will Reinvent Problematic Siamese Cat Song, Feature New Music From Janelle Monae (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 6, 2019.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 8, 2018). "Disney Unveils Inaugural Streaming Service Launch Slate To Town; No R-Rated Fare". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (March 19, 2018). "Charlie Bean To Helm Disney's Live-Action 'Lady And The Tramp' Adaptation". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- Couch, Aaron (July 26, 2018). "Justin Theroux to Voice Star in Disney's 'Lady and the Tramp' Remake". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Sam Elliott Joins Disney's LADY AND THE TRAMP Remake | That Hashtag Show". That Hashtag Show. July 30, 2018. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (July 31, 2018). "Kiersey Clemons in Talks to Join Disney's Live-Action 'Lady and the Tramp' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Sneider, Jeff (August 14, 2018). "Exclusive: Tessa Thompson to Star in 'Lady and the Tramp' for Disney's Streaming Service". Collider. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (August 17, 2018). "Thomas Mann Joins Disney's Live-Action 'Lady and the Tramp' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (September 4, 2018). "Yvette Nicole Brown Joins Live-Action 'Lady and the Tramp'". Variety. Retrieved September 4, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 21, 2018). "Adrian Martinez Joins Disney's 'Lady and the Tramp'; 'Mulan' Adds Chen Tang". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 21, 2018.
- Galuppo, Mia (October 4, 2018). "Arturo Castro Joins Disney's 'Lady and the Tramp' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (October 5, 2018). "Janelle Monae Joins Disney's 'Lady And The Tramp' Reboot With Tessa Thompson, Justin Theroux". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Chitwood, Adam (December 17, 2018). "Exclusive: Disney's Live-Action 'Lady and the Tramp' Will Use Real Dogs". Collider. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Bender, Kelli (August 8, 2019). "First Look: See the Canine Cast Starring in the Live-Action Lady and the Tramp Remake". People.
- Shaw-Williams, Hannah (June 30, 2018). "Disney Looking to Cast People of Color in Lady and the Tramp Remake". Screen Rant. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Steves, Ashley (July 31, 2018). "Now Casting: Disney Feature 'Lady in the Tramp' Is Filling Background Roles + 3 More Gigs". Backstage. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "Filming of Disney's live-action 'Lady and the Tramp' remake to impact downtown Savannah traffic". Savannah Morning News. August 2, 2018. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Gazaway, Wright (August 2, 2018). "Disney producers present film plan to City of Savannah". WTOC-TV. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Anna Tingley (2019-08-23). "Disney Debuts 'Lady and the Tramp' Trailer – Variety". Variety.com. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (April 11, 2019). "Disney Film Production Chief Sean Bailey On Streaming Service's Live-Action Slate; 'Lady And The Tramp' Available At Launch". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 11, 2019.