Transportes Aereos del Mercosur S.A, d/b/a LATAM Airlines Paraguay (formerly known as TAM Paraguay and previously Líneas Aéreas Paraguayas) is the flag carrier and the national airline of Paraguay with its headquarters in Asunción, Paraguay. Its flights operate from Silvio Pettirossi International Airport in Asunción. Its parent company is LATAM Airlines Group.
|Founded||November 17, 1962 (as LAP) |
September 1, 1996 (as TAM Mercosur)
May 5, 2016 (as LATAM Paraguay)
|Hubs||Silvio Pettirossi International Airport|
|Frequent-flyer program||LATAM Pass|
|Alliance||Star Alliance (2010-2014; affiliate)|
|Parent company||LATAM Airlines Group (94.98%)|
|Key people||Enrique Alcaide (CEO)|
The airline was established on November 17, 1962 and started operations in 1963 as Líneas Aéreas Paraguayas. The airline then operated for a brief period between 1995 and 1996 as a subsidiary of the Ecuadorian airline SAETA under the name LAPSA Air Paraguay.
On September 1, 1996, Paraguayan airline Aerolíneas Paraguayas (a subsidiary of TAM Linhas Aéreas) purchased 80% of the majority shares of the airline, which by then both airlines were merged under the name TAM – Transportes Aéreos del Mercosur. It was then sold to TAM Linhas Aéreas later that year on October 6, which used two Fokker 100 jets to cover regional destinations.
In 2008, following a branding strategy, the name TAM Mercosur was dropped and the airline adopted a corporate identity identical to its Brazilian owner. However, its corporate structure remained the same. The airline was rebranded as LATAM Paraguay following the merger and creation of the LATAM Airlines Group and the subsequent rebranding of its member airlines. Today LATAM owns 94.98% and the Paraguayan Government 5.02% of the shares.
LATAM Paraguay operates flights using aircraft of its sister companies LATAM Brazil, LATAM Chile and LATAM Peru.
In October 2019, the fleet of LATAM Paraguay consisted of the following aircraft:
|Airbus A320-200||5||12||144||156||Operated by LATAM Brasil|
The airline previously operated the following aircraft (including LAP):
- "Directory: World airlines." Flight International. 30 March – 5 April 2004. 79. "Oliva 761 casi Ayolas / Meal. Lopez esq. Mayor Infante Rivarola, Asuncion, Paraguay"
- "TAM Linhas Aéreas Consolidates Fleet and Initiates New Air Network." Reuters. Monday 26 May 2008. Retrieved on 2 February 2009.
- "LATAM Paraguay Increases Its Route Offering to Chile and Brazil – AirlineGeeks.com".
- "Latam Airlines". Latam. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- "Paraguay: LATAM anuncia vuelos a Bolivia en code-share con Paranair". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 30 June 2022. Retrieved 20 August 2022.
- "Despegó el primer vuelo de Latam Paraguay operado por Paranair: ¡a Brasilia!". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 6 December 2019. Retrieved 20 August 2022.
- "Latam Airlines cancela ruta Asunción-Brasilia". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 24 June 2020. Retrieved 20 August 2022.
- "Latam Airlines retoma hoy sus vuelos regulares a Paraguay". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 2 November 2020. Retrieved 20 August 2022.
- "Latam Airlines se despidió hoy de Ciudad del Este". Aeronauticapy (in Spanish). 28 September 2019. Retrieved 20 August 2022.
- "LATAM Airlines Paraguay Fleet Details and History". Planespotters.net. Retrieved 30 September 2022.
- "LAP fleet". aerobernie.bplaced.net. Retrieved 20 February 2021.