Knowsley North and Sefton East (UK Parliament constituency)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Knowsley North and Sefton East|
|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Knowsley North and Sefton East in Merseyside for the 2005 general election
Location of Merseyside within England
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Knowsley, Sefton Central|
|Created from||Knowsley North, Crosby|
Knowsley North and Sefton East was a county constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
A primarily working-class industrial region, the seat was traditionally one of the strongest Labour-held seats in the country. The original Knowsley North constituency gained several wards from Crosby as a result of boundary changes in 1995. The constituency was represented throughout its existence by George Howarth (Labour), who had held the previous Knowsley North constituency from 1986.
The Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley wards of Cantril Farm, Cherryfield, Kirkby Central, Knowsley Park, Northwood, Park, Tower Hill, and Whitefield, and the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton wards of Molyneux, Park, and Sudell.
It was bordered in the south by Knowsley South; in the west by Crosby; in the north by West Lancashire; in the southwest by Liverpool Walton, Liverpool West Derby, and Bootle and in the east by St Helens North and St Helens South.
Following decisions by the Boundary Commission for England, Knowsley North and Sefton East was abolished for the 2010 general election. This seat formed a small part of a new Knowsley seat, with the Crosby, Maghull and Formby elements moving into a new Sefton Central constituency.
Members of ParliamentEdit
|2010||constituency abolished: see Knowsley & Sefton Central|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Liberal Democrats||David Bamber||5,499||11.1||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||Chris Jones||857||1.7||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Liberal Democrats||Richard Roberts||5,173||13.8||+2.7|
|Socialist Labour||Ronald Waugh||574||1.5||−0.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Flo Clucas||7,192||19.4||+5.6|
|Socialist Labour||Stephen Whatham||464||1.3||−0.2|
Notes and referencesEdit
- "'Knowsley North and Sefton East', May 1997 -". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 1 June 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "K" (part 2)
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.