Kingston Hospital is an acute hospital in Kingston upon Thames. It is managed by the Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. It has an Accident & Emergency Unit, a popular midwife-led Maternity unit, and an STD clinic known as the Wolverton Centre.
|Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Kingston upon Thames, London, England|
|Care system||NHS England|
|Hospital type||District General|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The hospital has its origins in a workhouse infirmary built in 1843. A larger infirmary was built to the southwest of the workhouse in 1868 and a nurses' home was built to the north of the workhouse in 1897. The infirmary was separated from the workhouse and was renamed the Kingston Infirmary in 1902. It became the Kingston and District Hospital in 1920 and a larger nurses' home was opened by the Duchess of York in 1928. The hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948 and began to redevelop the site the following year.
A new out-patients department was opened by Princess Alexandra in 1963, a new medical centre was opened by Enoch Powell, Minister of Health in 1962 and Kenley Ward was opened by Professor Sir Max Rosenheim, President of the Royal College of Physicians, in 1969. The Esher Wing opened in 1976, the Bernard Meade Wing was opened by Princess Alexandra in 1992 and the Rowan Bentall Wing was opened, also by Princess Alexandra, in 1994.
In June 2008, the Trust opened the Sir William Rous Unit, for those with cancer or concerned they might have cancer. The unit is run in partnership between, Kingston Hospital, the Royal Marsden Hospital and Macmillan Cancer Support so as to provide care for patients with cancer.
- "Kingson Hospital". Lost Hospitals of London. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Kingston hospital PFI development reaches Financial Close". John Laing. 5 June 2004. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Massive PFI Kingston Hospital scheme may complicate any plans to axe A+E and maternity". Surrey Comet. 4 March 2010. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Sir William Rous Cancer unit celebrates fifth anniversary at Kingston Hospital". Your Local Guardian. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "One Healthcare wins PPU contract from BMI". Health Investor. 26 January 2018. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Find us". Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 28 May 2018.