Kevin Christopher Newsom (born September 22, 1972) is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Kevin C. Newsom
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit|
|Assumed office |
August 2, 2017
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Joel Fredrick Dubina|
|Solicitor General of Alabama|
December 2003 – June 2007
|Attorney General||William H. Pryor Jr.|
|Preceded by||Nathan A. Forrester|
|Succeeded by||Corey L. Maze|
Kevin Christopher Newsom
September 22, 1972
Birmingham, Alabama, U.S.
Deborah E. Wilgus (m. 1994)
|Education||Samford University (BA)|
Harvard Law School (JD)
Kevin Newsom was born in Birmingham, Alabama, to Susan and Michael Alan Newsom, an attorney. Newsom attended Homewood High School in Birmingham. In 1994, Newsom received a Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, from Samford University, graduating first in his class. In 1997, he graduated from Harvard Law School with a Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, where he was Articles Editor of the Harvard Law Review.
After graduation, Newsom served as a law clerk to Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He then clerked for Justice David Souter of the United States Supreme Court from 1998 to 1999.
Following his clerkships, he worked for Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C. In December 2003, he was appointed the State of Alabama's second Solicitor General, replacing Nathan A. Forrester, and served for three and a half years under state Attorney General Bill Pryor and then Troy King. Afterwards, Newsom was a partner at Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP in Birmingham, where his practice focused on appellate litigation.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
On May 8, 2017, President Donald Trump nominated Newsom to a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit vacated by Judge Joel F. Dubina who took senior status on October 24, 2013, and who has since retired. A hearing on his nomination before the Senate Judiciary Committee took place on June 14, 2017. His nomination was reported out of committee by a vote of 18–2 on July 13. On July 31, cloture was invoked on his nomination by a vote of 68–26, and his nomination was confirmed by a vote of 66–31 on August 1, 2017. He received his judicial commission on August 2, 2017.
- "AFJ Nominee Report: Kevin Newsom" (PDF). Alliance for Justice. Retrieved December 2, 2017.
- "Engagements: Wilgus-Newsom". Orlando Sentinel. May 5, 1994. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "Kevin C. Newsom". Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- Peppers, Todd C. (2006). Courtiers of the Marble Palace. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press. p. 231. ISBN 0804753822.
- Lat, David. "Articles on Kevin Newsom". Above the Law. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- Gibeut, John (August 11, 2006). "It's All in the Execution". American Bar Association Journal. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- Mahoney, Ryan (February 8, 2004). "Ex-state solicitor general joins Bradley Arant staff". Birmingham Business Journal. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- Page, Peter (August 18, 2008). "State solicitor general appointments open doors for appellate practitioners" (PDF). National Law Journal. Retrieved October 19, 2017. Posted at Bradley Arant LLP website.
- "U.S. Supreme Court oral arguments of Kevin Newsom". Oyez.com. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "Board of Overseers Members". Samford University. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "Kevin C. Newsom". Federalist Society. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "Membership roster". American Law Institute. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- Adler, Jonathan H. (May 7, 2017). "Here come Trump's judges: President to put forward more strong judicial nominees". Washington Post. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "Presidential Nomination 372, 115th United States Congress". United States Congress. May 8, 2017. Retrieved June 30, 2018.
- "Congressional Record". www.congress.gov.
- "Nine Nominations Sent to the Senate Today". The White House. May 8, 2017.
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for June 14, 2017
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – July 13, 2017 Senate Judiciary Committee
- U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 115th Congress – 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 180, United States Senate, July 31, 2017
- U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 115th Congress – 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 182, United States Senate, August 1, 2017
- Kevin Newsom at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Biography at Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Kevin Newsom at Ballotpedia
- Appearances at the U.S. Supreme Court from the Oyez Project
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees for the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Contributor profile from the Federalist Society
Nathan A. Forrester
| Solicitor General of Alabama
Corey L. Maze
Joel Fredrick Dubina
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit