Kevin Maguire (journalist)
Kevin John Maguire (born 20 September 1960 in South Shields, Tyne and Wear) is a British political journalist and is currently associate editor at the Daily Mirror newspaper. Earlier in his career Maguire was chief reporter for The Guardian.
Kevin John Maguire
20 September 1960
|Residence||South West London, England|
|Alma mater||University of York, Cardiff University|
|Occupation||Associate editor, journalist|
Early life and educationEdit
Maguire was brought up in South Shields as one of six children. His father was a miner at Westoe Colliery, and mother was a cleaner and factory worker. Kevin Maguire passed his eleven plus, and attended South Shields Grammar-Technical School for Boys from 1972 to 1974. Maguire studied politics at the University of York and took a journalism postgraduate diploma at Cardiff University.
He worked with the Western Morning News (1984–1987), New Civil Engineer (1987), the Daily Telegraph (1990–1994), the Daily Mirror (1994–1999), and The Guardian (1999–2005). During his time at The Guardian he coined the term "awkward squad" in an article in 2001 to describe the new generation of left-wing trade union leaders who had emerged at the start of the 21st century in opposition to the policies implemented by New Labour after they entered government.
In April 2009 Maguire became drawn into the Damian McBride affair, when it was reported he had attended a meeting with McBride and Ray Collins to discuss the Labour Party's online political attack strategy.
From mid-2011, he co-hosted a Sunday morning politics show with the Daily Mail's Andrew Pierce on talk radio station LBC 97.3 having previously been a regular stand-in presenter of other shows for the station. He gave up the show in March 2012 in order to concentrate on his job at the Daily Mirror.
Maguire is married to the journalist and novelist Emma Burstall; they live in south west London and have two sons and one daughter. He supports the football club, Sunderland A.F.C.. On 4 July 2018 He was awarded the Honorary degree of Doctor of Arts from the University of Sunderland.
- The Media 100 2007 - 96. Kevin Maguire The Guardian, 9 July 2007
- "Class of 2018: Journalist Kevin makes a splash..." University of Sunderland. 4 July 2018. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "South Shields Grammar Technical School for Boys". www.boyshighschool.co.uk.
- Maguire, Kevin (11 September 2001). "Return of the awkward squad". theguardian.com. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- Murray, Andrew (2003). A New Labour Nightmare: The Return of the Awkward Squad. London: Verso Books. p. 133. ISBN 9781859845523. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- Labour's chief 'met e-mail pair' BBC News, 19 April 2009
- The Week's Guests BBC Press Office
- TV Review: Natural Born Sellers, STV - The British Transport Films, BBC4 The Scotsman, 24 October 2008
- "Kevin Maguire is a regular cover presenter on LBC 97.3". London: LBC 97.3. 1 May 2010. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- "Loved final @Lbc973 show with Andrew Pierce..." London: Twitter. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- Maguire, Kevin (4 May 2017). "Bigotry must be tiring so Prince Philip will be knackered after a lifetime of snooty prejudice and racist insults". Mirror. Retrieved 26 January 2019.