Kent County, Ontario
Location of Kent County in Ontario
|Dissolved||1998 - merged to form Chatham-Kent|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
The county was created in 1792 and named by John Graves Simcoe in honour of the English County. The county is in an alluvial plain between Lake St. Clair, and Lake Erie, watered by two navigable streams, the Thames River and the Sydenham River.
On January 1, 1998, the county, its townships, towns, and Chatham were amalgamated into the single-tier city of Chatham-Kent.
Area: 83,964 acres (340 km2) Surveyed in 1794. Community centres: City of Chatham, Wallaceburg
Area: 68,617 acres (278 km2). Dover Township was named after Dover, England. It was surveyed in 1794 and incorporated in 1850. Within the boundaries of Dover along the Chenail Ecarté of the river St. Clair is the site of Lord Selkirk's Baldoon Settlement, established in 1803. Community centres: Mitchell's Bay, Grande Pointe, Dover Centre and Pain Court
Area: 88,349 acres (358 km2). Surveyed in 1794 and named from the English port at the mouth of the Thames. A resident of Harwich, Valintine Zimmer, co-founded with friends of the same nationality the German Concession of Harwich. Community centres: Blenheim, Erieau, Erie Beach, Shrewsbury
Area: 27,154 acres (110 km2). Separated from Orford in 1821 to provide a special organizational district, "the zone", for the Indians of the Moravian Mission on the Thames. Community centres: Bothwell
Municipalities (as of 1997)Edit
- Town of Chatham: County Seat, largest population centre in the county.
- Town of Blenheim: Incorporated in 1885.
- Town of Bothwell: Incorporated in 1867.
- Town of Dresden: Incorporated in 1882.
- Town of Ridgetown: Incorporated in 1875.
- Town of Tilbury: Incorporated as Village of Tilbury Centre in 1887 and Town of Tilbury in 1910.
- Town of Wallaceburg: Incorporated as a village in 1875 and a town in 1896.
- Village of Erie Beach
- Village of Erieau
- Village of Highgate
- Village of Thamesville
- Village of Wheatley
- Township of Camden
- Township of Chatham
- Township of Dover
- Township of Harwich
- Township of Howard
- Township of Orford
- Township of Raleigh
- Township of Romney
- Township of Tilbury East
- Township of Zone
- Watson, Henry (January 5, 1900), Schedule A, County of Kent Births, 1899, Division of Orford, Highgate, Ontario: Archives of Ontario, pp. 13–14
- "Popular Valley Figure: W. B. George Retiring From KAS Post". Ottawa Journal. Ottawa, Ontario. September 24, 1960. p. 7.