|Product type||Large kitchen appliances, barbecue grills, vacuum cleaners, small kitchen appliances, televisions|
|Country||Chicago, IL, United States|
As of 2017, Kenmore products are produced by manufacturers including Whirlpool, LG, Electrolux, Panasonic, Cleva North America, and Daewoo Electronics. Today, the majority of the brand's portfolio is sold at Sears, Kmart, and Amazon. In 2019, the brand's grills and vacuum cleaners were offered at Lowe's, The Home Depot and Target.
The brand first appeared on a four-drawer drop feed sewing machine sold from 1913 to 1919. The first Kenmore washing machine was introduced in 1927. The first Kenmore vacuum cleaners were introduced in 1932.
In 1976, Sears expanded the Kenmore name to its line of refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers, which were previously branded as Coldspot.
In April 2018, Sears CEO and major investor Edward Lampert, along with his hedge fund ESL, offered to buy the brand along with Sears Home Services in order to diversify Sears’ already-strained assets. The hope of spinning off a stable asset, according to Lampert, is to increase capital in Sears’ portfolio, which would filter down into the stores, thus providing much needed income for the Sears brand. Lampert revised his offer to buy Kenmore in August 2018 for $400 million and without Sears' Home Services division. On October 14, 2018, Sears' parent company Sears Holdings filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection leaving the future of the Kenmore brand undecided. Sears will continue to sell Kenmore products and honor warranties while it undergoes restructuring. With the demise of Sears Canada Kenmore products are no longer sold in Canada, but existing warranty for Whirlpool made Kenmore lines continued to be honored. A number[quantify] of Canadian parts suppliers[who?] continue[when?] to provide Kenmore parts previously sold by Sears Canada. Some Kenmore products are also being individually resold online in 2021.
Kenmore's upscale line of appliances is known as the Elite line. Kenmore also has a professional line of appliances called Kenmore Pro.
In October 2017, an announcement was made on the termination of the Sears-Whirlpool appliance relationship, which dates back to 1916. Sears will no longer sell Whirlpool and Whirlpool subsidiary-branded appliances, but Whirlpool will continue to supply the Kenmore appliances they make for Sears.
List of common manufacturersEdit
- "ESL Investments Completes Acquisition of Sears Holdings' Assets". AP NEWS. 2019-02-11. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- "KENMORE". The Home Depot. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- "What year did Sears start selling sewing machines?".
- "Kenmore: America's Favorite Home Appliance Brand". Sears Archives.com.
- "Sears takes its Kenmore brand out of the kitchen with new line of TVs". Digital Trends. 21 June 2016. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- "Sears is adding Alexa support to its Kenmore smart home appliances". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- "Kenmore appliances join 21st century, appear on Amazon". CNET. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Kapner, Suzanne; Stevens, Laura (2017-07-20). "Sears to Sell Kenmore Brand on Amazon". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Isidore, Chris. "Sears CEO offers to buy Kenmore brand". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2018-08-15.
- Thomas, Lauren (2018-08-17). "Shares of Sears fall to record low as CEO Lampert's hedge fund eyes Kenmore". CNBC. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- "Sears has declared bankruptcy—will it still honor my Kenmore warranty?".
- "Do you have a Kenmore appliance? – Whirlpool Corp | Canada".
- Szostech, Mike. "Best Canister Vacuum Canada". Canada Reviewed. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- Isidore, Chris. "Sears is breaking up with Whirlpool after a century". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2018-08-15.
- "The thrill is gone ... Sears-Whirlpool split after 100 years". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-08-15.
- "Consumers with Pet Allergy Have a New Option for Dander Control". Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Consumer Reports - Universal Search". www.consumerreports.org. Retrieved 2019-01-08.