Kangaroo Island Council
The Kangaroo Island Council is a local government area in South Australia that covers the entirety of Kangaroo Island, 13 km off the coast of the mainland. The council was formed in 1996 by the amalgamation of the District Council of Kingscote and the District Council of Dudley.
|Kangaroo Island Council|
Location of Kangaroo Island Council
|Population||4,702 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1.06861/km2 (2.7677/sq mi)|
|Area||4,400.1 km2 (1,698.9 sq mi)|
|Region||Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island|
|State electorate(s)||Mawson |
|Website||Kangaroo Island Council|
Mayor: Michael Pengilly CEO: Greg Georgopoulos
- Bob Teasdale
- Graham Walkom
- Ken Liu
- Peter Denholm
- Peter Tiggemann
- Rosalie Chirgwin
- Sam Mumford
- Shirley Pledge
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The district's economy is based around agriculture, with grazing, crops, viticulture and forestry prevalent. Fishing, and more recently, aquaculture has been established as an economic viability on the island. Tourism is also a contributor to the economy, with tourists coming to the island for its natural environment and history.
Localities within the jurisdiction of the Kangaroo Island Council are as follows: American Beach, American River, Antechamber Bay, Ballast Head, Baudin Beach, Bay of Shoals, Birchmore, Brown Beach, Brownlow KI, Cape Borda, Cassini, Cuttlefish Bay, Cygnet River, De Mole River, D'Estrees Bay, Dudley East, Dudley West, Duncan, Emu Bay, Flinders Chase, Gosse, Haines, Island Beach, Ironstone, Kangaroo Head, Karrata, Kingscote, Kohinoor, MacGillivray, Menzies, Middle River, Muston, Nepean Bay, Newland, North Cape, Parndana, Pelican Lagoon, Penneshaw, Porky Flat, Sapphiretown, Seal Bay, Seddon, Stokes Bay, Stun'Sail Boom, Vivonne Bay, Western River, Willoughby, Willson River, and Wisanger.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Kangaroo Island (DC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Elected Members". Kangaroo Island Council. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Mawson (Map). Electoral District Boundaries Commission. 2016. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Federal electoral division of Mayo, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Kangaroo Island Council. "About Council". Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- Council, Kangaroo Island (1 November 2019). "New CEO appointed for Kangaroo Island Council". Kangaroo Island Council. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- Council, Kangaroo Island (7 November 2019). "Elected Members". Kangaroo Island Council. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Search result for " Kangaroo Island (IS)" (Record no SA0033933) with the following layers selected – "Suburbs and Localities" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Archived from the original on 12 October 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2016.