Kalyaniyin Kanavan (transl. Kalyani's Husband) is a 1963 Indian Tamil-language film, directed and produced by S. M. Sriramulu Naidu. The film stars Sivaji Ganesan and B. Saroja Devi in lead roles, M. R. Radha as villain and T. R. Ramachandran took care of the comedy assisted by Radhika. The film had musical score by S. M. Subbaiah Naidu.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||S. M. Sriramulu Naidu|
|Produced by||S. M. Sriramulu Naidu|
|Screenplay by||S. M. Sriramulu Naidu|
B. Saroja Devi
|Music by||S. M. Subbaiah Naidu|
|Edited by||G. Veluswamy|
The heroine Kalyani (Saroja Devi) goes swimming with friends in a river when she is carried away by strong waves. As she struggles, a bold young man Kathiresan (Sivaji Ganesan) saves her — expectedly, the saving of the damsel in distress leads to both falling in love.
Kalyani's father (Ranga Rao) is impressed by the young man's bravery and wishes to get them married on an auspicious day. Two days before the wedding, the hero receives an anonymous letter inviting him to an abandoned bungalow in the back of beyond. He goes and, in the cover darkness, fights an anonymous foe. At the end of it, he finds at his feet a body with a knife sticking out of its back! He leaves the place hurriedly.
The next morning, the hero, much to the shock of one and all, screams at the bride saying she is not of good conduct and refuses to go ahead with the wedding rituals. Meanwhile, cops enter the scene, looking for the bridegroom and cleverly he escapes! With the marriage stopped in a dramatic fashion, problems arise in the unhappy father's family. How they are solved and the marriage is performed much to the joy of all forms the rest of the story.
- Sivaji Ganesan as Kathiresan
- B. Sarojadevi as Kalyani
- S. V. Ranga Rao as Viswanathan (Kalyani step Father)
- M. R. Radha as Rangasamy Pillai (Kalyani Real Father, Enemy role)
- T. R. Ramachandran as Sigamani (Enemy role)
- Kovai Pe. Aranganathan as Manimangalam Jameendar (Twisth Killing Death role)
- O. A. K. Thevar as Police Inspector
- A. Karunanidhi as Police constable
- S. Rama Rao as Ambi
- K. V. Srinivasan
- T. P. Muthulakshmi as Ramayee (Kalyani Home Sarvent)
- Sukumari as (Lord Ramar Dhrama Guest Role)
- Seethalakshmi as Kannamma
- Pushpamala as (Kalyani Friend)
- Shantha Devi
|1||"Enakku Vaikkum Maappillai"||P. Susheela||Kannadasan||04:06|
|2||"Kai Irukku Kaal Irukku"||T. M. Soundararajan||03:40|
|3||"Aasai Konda Manam"||P. Susheela||02:22|
|4||"Enathu Raja Sabaiyile"||T. M. Soundararajan, P. Susheela||03:14|
|5||"Kalyana Pudava Katti"||P. Susheela||03:35|
|6||"Naal Ondrum Pozhudhu"||P. Susheela||03:22|
|7||"Solli Theriyadhu"||A. L. Raghavan, Kausalya||03:12|
|8||"Unakka Theriyadhu"||T. M. Soundararajan, P. Susheela||03:22|
|9||"Ethaiyum Nandra Edaipodamal Ithuvum Vendumada"||T. M. Soundararajan||02:55|
Kalyaniyin Kanavan did not do well at the box office. The film ran for 10 weeks in most centres.
- "Kalyaniyin Kanavan". nadigarthilagam.com. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Kalyaniyin Kanavan". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Kalyaniyin Kanavan". gomolo.com. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Kalyaniyin Kanavan Songs". raaga.com. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- Guy, Randor (31 March 2012). "Kalyaniyin Kanavan 1963". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 27 September 2020.