KaiOS is a mobile operating system based on Linux, owned by KaiOS Technologies, a U.S-based company. It is forked from B2G (Boot to Gecko), an open source community-driven successor of Firefox OS which was discontinued by Mozilla in 2016.
|Developer||KaiOS Technologies Inc.|
|OS family||Firefox OS/Open Web (based on Linux kernel)|
|Marketing target||Mobile phones|
|Package manager||KaiOS Store|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||Graphical|
|License||Closed source, Linux kernel patches under GPLv2|
The primary features of KaiOS bring support for 4G LTE E, GPS and Wi-Fi with HTML5-based apps and longer battery life to non-touch devices with optimized user interface, less memory and energy consumption. It also features over-the-air updates. A dedicated app marketplace called KaiStore enables users to download applications. Some services are preloaded as HTML5 applications, including Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. The operating system is comparatively lightweight on hardware resource usage, and is able to run on devices with just 256 MB of memory.
The operating system first appeared in 2017 and is developed by KaiOS Technologies Inc., a San Diego, California-based company headed by CEO Sebastien Codeville with offices in other countries. In June 2018, Google invested US$22 million in the operating system. India-based telecom operator Reliance Jio also invested $7 million in cash to pick up a 16% take in the company.
In market share study results announced in May 2018, KaiOS beat Apple's iOS for second place in India , while Android dominates with 71%, albeit down by 9%. KaiOS growth is being largely attributed to popularity of the competitively-priced JioPhone.
In Q1 2018, 23 million KaiOS devices were shipped.
KaiOS devices are available on various markets globally.
- Burkina Faso
- Central African Republic
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Ivory Coast
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- United States
Devices that come with KaiOS include:
- Alcatel OneTouch Go Flip (known as Cingular Flip 2 on AT&T)
- Reliance Jio's JioPhone, JioPhone F30C, F101K, F10Q, F120B, F220B, F41T, F50Y, F61F, F81E, F90M, LF-2403N, JioPhone 2, F300B, F310B
- HMD Global's Nokia 8110 4G (runs Smart Feature OS, a KaiOS-based platform)
- Doro 7050/7060
- CAT B35
- Maxcom MK241, MK281
- WizPhone WP006. Launched on Indonesia in Partnership with Google and Alfamart 
- MTN 3G phone (MTN Smart S 3G) 
- Alcatel MyFlip (TracFone Wireless)
- Positivo P70S (Brazil)
- Multilaser ZAPP (Brazil)
With the release of the Nokia 8110 4G, an active community around both KaiOS and the phone arose and released the first version of a jailbreak. This gave users the ability to use old Firefox OS apps on the KaiOS devices, as well as flashing their devices with community created ROMs, such as GerdaOS.
As of February 2018, KaiOS Technologies has partnered with Airfind, Facebook, Google, Twitter, Bullitt, Doro, HMD Global, Micromax, NXP, Spreadtrum, Qualcomm, Jio, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Orange S.A.
- "Can I access the source code? : KaiOS". Support.kaiostech.com.
- "KaiOS Technologies". Linkedin.com.
- "KaiOS FAQ". Kaiostech.com.
- "JioPhone Operating System (Android or KaiOS or Firefox OS)". Jio4gmobile.in.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "KaiOS, a feature phone platform built on the ashes of Firefox OS, adds Facebook, Twitter and Google apps". Techcrunch.com.
- "KaiOS, Here's everything you should know about the operating system available in JioPhone — Mobile Studio". Mobilestudio.co.in. August 24, 2017.
- Barton, James. "KaiOS Emerging OS - Developing Telecoms". Developingtelecoms.com.
- "Reliance Jio LYF 4G VoLTE feature phone: To run KaiOS, will have an app store too". Indianexpress.com. 20 July 2017.
- "All you need to know about KaiOS that runs on Jio feature phone". Blogpoke.com.
- "KaiOS is on 30 million phones and now has Google apps, Facebook, Twitter". Mobilityarena.com. 27 February 2018.
- [dead link]
- "What is KaiOS ?". Primea2z.blogspot.com. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Google invests $22 million in the OS powering Nokia feature phones". Theverge.com.
- Parikh, Prasham (2019-04-24). "KaiOS and Jio are ready to serve 4G goodness to the unserved". EOTO Tech. Retrieved 2019-05-01.
- "KaiOS is doing well in India, but it's pulling some big numbers in US too". www.androidauthority.com. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- "JioPhone's KaiOS surpasses iOS to become India's second most popular mobile operating system". Bgr.in. 7 May 2018. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "The second-largest mobile OS in India rhymes with iOS, but isn't iOS - Android Authority". www.androidauthority.com. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- "Alcatel GO FLIP™". alcatelonetouch.ca. June 16, 2017.
- "The Cingular Flip 2 is AT&T's newest clamshell phone". phonearena.com.
- "Reliance Jio LYF 4G VoLTE feature phone: To run KaiOS, will have an app store too". indianexpress.com. July 20, 2017.
- "[Exclusive] Reliance Jio and Lyf's 4G VoLTE Feature Phone". techpp.com. July 13, 2017.
- "Jio Phone Booking - Pre Book Jio Mobile Online for 500 Only - Jio". jio.com.
- "JioPhone 2 at Rs 2,999: Whatsapp, Youtube, Facebook, all on new feature phone". The Economic Times. 6 July 2018.
- "The Return of The Nokia 8110 - 'the Banana Phone' - KaiOS". kaiostech.com. 7 June 2018.
- "The Nokia 8110 is back". mybroadband.co.za.
- "Doro's 7050 Is the Next Great Simple Phone". uk.pcmag.com. 26 February 2018.
- "CAT B35 rugged feature phone launched with KaiOS, Google apps and 4G - Gizmochina". Gizmochina. 2018-09-22. Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- "Maxcom at MWCA 2018". 2018-09-25.
- "Google WizPhone WP006 is a JioPhone competitor, but its launched in Indonesia". 2018-12-07.
- "MTN launches R300 smartphone with WhatsApp". mybroadband.co.za. 2019-03-07. Retrieved 2019-03-07.
- "MWC 2018: Kai Announces Partnerships with Mobile Industry Giants - KaiOS". Kaiostech.com. 26 February 2018.
- "KaiOS 2.5 will run on feature phones with Qualcomm, Spreadtrum chipsets with just 256MB RAM". Fonearena.com.