Kabasalan, Zamboanga Sibugay
Kabasalan, officially the Municipality of Kabasalan, is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Zamboanga Sibugay, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 44,336 people.
|Municipality of Kabasalan|
Kabasalan Science and Technology High School, during the Buwan ng Wika celebration in 2011
Agri-Aqua Basin of Zambaoanga Sibugay
Map of Zamboanga Sibugay with Kabasalan highlighted
|Region||Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX)|
|Barangays||29 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Matilda Gantalao|
|• Vice Mayor||Luvly Grace D. Cainglet|
|• Congressman||Dulce Ann K. Hofer|
|• Electorate||32,888 voters (2019)|
|• Total||289.2 km2 (111.7 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)62|
|Climate type||tropical climate|
|Income class||2nd municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||142,016,889.09 (2016)|
|Native languages||Cebuano, Chavacano, Subanen, Tagalog|
Kabasalan is politically subdivided into 29 barangays.
- Bolo Battalion
- Calubihan (F.L.Pena)
- Concepcion (Balungis)
- Little Baguio
- Riverside (Salipyasin)
- Santa Cruz
- Timuay Danda (Mangahas)
The first inhabitants of the place are of Subanen origin. Kabasalan comes from the word basal, meaning to play the agung, a musical instrument which is a favorite pastime of the Subanon. It was during the old times that the whole peninsula was resonating with the sound of that instrument. Every Subanen family owns a set of the instrument.
Kabasalan was greatly affected by Typhoon Tembin (2017) which most of the municipality where flooded. School were destroyed due to strong winds
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Kabasalan and its neighboring towns is being served by Flash-FM 91.3 MHz and Countryside Cable Television, Inc.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Zamboanga Sibugay". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region IX (Zamboanga Peninsula)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region IX (Zamboanga Peninsula)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region IX (Zamboanga Peninsula)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Zamboanga Sibugay". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.