Justin Gabriel Hurwitz (born January 22, 1985) is an American film composer and a television writer. He is best known for his longtime collaboration with director Damien Chazelle, scoring each of his films: Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench (2009), Whiplash (2014), La La Land (2016), and First Man (2018).
Hurwitz in 2016
Justin Gabriel Hurwitz
January 22, 1985
|Education||Nicolet High School|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
For La La Land, he won two Academy Awards: Best Original Score and Best Original Song (for "City of Stars") as well as the Golden Globe Awards for Best Original Score and Best Original Song (for "City of Stars"), and the BAFTA Award for Best Film Music. For First Man, he won the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score.
Hurwitz was born in California, the son of Gail (née Halabe), a professional ballet dancer turned registered nurse, and Ken Hurwitz, a writer. He is of Jewish descent (from Russia, Poland, Damascus in Syria, and Beirut in Lebanon). His family moved to Wisconsin in 1998 where he attended Nicolet High School.
Hurwitz attended Harvard University, where he was roommates with director Damien Chazelle. They collaborated on a student film that would become Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench, which was released in 2009. While in school, Hurwitz was a member of the Harvard Lampoon and was an original member of the indie-pop band Chester French with Chazelle.
After college, Hurwitz and Chazelle moved to Los Angeles where Hurwitz wrote comedy for the sitcom The League and one episode of The Simpsons. Thanks to the success of Guy and Madeline, they were able to obtain financing for their next collaboration, the 2014 film Whiplash – with Hurwitz scoring the film and Chazelle writing and directing. Hurwitz also scored Chazelle's 2016 film La La Land, for which Chazelle won the Oscar for Best Director and Hurwitz won two Oscars for Best Original Score and Best Original Song.
|2009||Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench||Composer|
|2016||La La Land||Composer|
|2011||The Simpsons||Writer||Episode: "The Falcon and the D'ohman"|
|2011||The League||Writer||7 episodes|
|2017-2020||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Writer/Producer||11 episodes|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "California Birth Index, 1905-1995 (Database online)". Ancestry.com. State of California Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics. 2005. Retrieved 2 Aug 2017.
- Bloom, Nate (February 13, 2017). "The tribe goes to the Oscars". JWeekly.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 10, 2016). "How 'La La Land' Director Damien Chazelle, His Team & Lionsgate Faced the Music & Resurrected the Original Hollywood Musical". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- "'Moonlight' Named Best Picture by L.A. Film Critics". Yahoo!. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Orr, Christopher (December 9, 2016). "The Novelty and Nostalgia of 'La La Land'". The Atlantic. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Bryan Abrams (September 23, 2014). "Whiplash Composer Justin Hurwitz Settles the Score". wheretowatch.com.
- "Justin Hurwitz wins best original score in a motion picture at Golden Globes". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Bloom, Nate (February 13, 2017). "The tribe goes to the Oscars". J. The Jewish News of Northern California. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- Bloom, Nate (February 27, 2017). "News go to the Oscars; Justin Hurwitz's proud Marin mom; etc". J. The Jewish News of Northern California.
Both my children are very proud of their Middle Eastern heritage and culture
- Levy, Piet (February 17, 2017). "Oscar-nominated 'La La Land' composer Justin Hurwitz got his start in Milwaukee". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- Bloom, Nate (February 23, 2017). "The tribe goes to the Oscars, 2017". Jewish Standard. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Times of Israel: "La La Land: Who knew it was so Jewish" by Francine Wolfsiz February 27, 2017
- Jerusalem Post: "HOW DID JEWISH TALENT FARE AT THE GOLDEN GLOBES?" January 9, 2017
- Jewish Telegraph Agency: "Oscars 2017: 7 unexpected Jewish facts" By Gabe Friedman February 23, 2017
- Connecticut Jewish Ledger: "La La Land's Jewish composer nominated for Oscar" January 25th, 2017
- Chris Foran (January 9, 2017). "Nicolet's Justin Hurwitz wins 2 Golden Globes". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- TMJ4 News: "Nicolet HS graduate Justin Hurwitz wins 2 Golden Globes for 'La La Land'" by Brandon Rook January 9, 2017
- Phares, Heather. "Chester French - Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-07-15.