Just Like You (Louis Tomlinson song)
"Just Like You" is a song recorded by English singer and songwriter Louis Tomlinson, announced on 11 October and released at midnight local time on 12 October 2017. It is the first promotional single from Tomlinson. The song was also written by Tomlinson, Thomas and Burns.
|"Just Like You"|
|Promotional single by Louis Tomlinson|
|Released||12 October 2017|
In an interview with Zane Lowe on Beats 1 Radio, Tomlinson called the song "very" autobiographical. “The fans have seen so much and got to know us so well, but I’ve never really had a chance to be as honest like that with music. So that was really refreshing. It was just important for me to write a song that could humanize me as much as possible, and that the fans could really feel like I'm just like them – honest and vulnerable and real.”
A lyric video for the song was released on 17 October 2017, featuring images of Tomlinson interspersed with lyrics as well as newspaper articles relating to politics, mental health, feminism, diversity, LGBTQ+ rights, the Black Lives Matter movement, and the Me Too movement, as well as public figures such as Colin Kaepernick, Malala Yousafzai, and George Michael. Reviewer Saskia Postema of Huffington Post called the video an "unprecedented, though not entirely unsurprising look into Tomlinson's dedication to social justice issues," and went on to say it "push[es] the understanding of the song beyond it being a mere reflection of Tomlinson's personal hardship, and create[s] a connection to general issues of adversity in society instead. By doing so, it seems that the core concept of the tune should be understood as something that not only affects Louis himself, but all of us: The universality of struggle for equal opportunities in life, and the need to be recognized as human beings of equal value."
Rolling Stone's Jon Blistein described the song as "humble", further stating "[Just Like You] has a snappy beat with synths that swell to a wobbling instrumental hook. The production complements Tomlinson's polished vocals and lyrics about how he grapples with everyday highs and lows.”
|Hungary (Single Top 40)||17|
|New Zealand Heatseekers (RMNZ)||9|
|Philippines (Philippine Hot 100)||64|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||74|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||99|
- "Just Like You – Single by Louis Tomlinson on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- Louis Tomlinson [@Louis_Tomlinson] (11 October 2017). "My next single will be a bit later this year but I wanted to share this with you now. This is for you lot ! #JustLikeYou" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Beats 1 (2017-10-11), Louis Tomlinson and Zane Lowe on "Just Like You" [Excerpt], retrieved 2018-11-20
- LouisTomlinsonVEVO (2017-10-17), Louis Tomlinson - Just Like You (Lyric Video), retrieved 2018-11-20
- Postema, Saskia (2017-10-17). "Louis Tomlinson's Just Like You Lyric Video Shows Universality of Struggle". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Blistein, Jon (2017-10-12). "Hear Louis Tomlinson's Humble New Song 'Just Like You'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "ARIA Chart Watch #443". auspOp. 21 October 2017. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "Lescharts.com – Louis Tomlinson – Just Like You" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "NZ Heatseekers Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. 23 October 2017. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "BillboardPH Hot 100". Billboard Philippines. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Louis Tomlinson – Just Like You" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved 25 November 2017.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- on YouTube