Jon Watts (born June 28, 1981) is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter. He is most well known for directing and co-writing the Marvel Cinematic Universe superhero film Spider-Man: Homecoming and its upcoming sequel Spider-Man: Far From Home. He also directed and co-wrote the horror film Clown, and the thriller film Cop Car. In television, Watts directed numerous episodes of the parody news series Onion News Network.
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, film producer|
Before directing movies, Watts directed commercials for production company Park Pictures.
He is married to former talent agent and producer Dianne McGunigle.
Watts' film career started with the short Clay Pride: Being Clay in America. A claymation film, it is a satire of films about gay issues, with the main character, Steve Thompson, coming out as "clay". Over the next decade, Watts would continue to work in short films, as well as directing several music videos for various artists, including Fatboy Slim, Death Cab for Cutie, and TV on the Radio.
Watts' feature directorial debut was the 2014 horror film, Clown. Watts and his friends had made a fake trailer for a film about a father turning into a killer clown after trying on an old costume he finds in his basement. After uploading the trailer to Youtube, Watts was approached by Eli Roth with an offer to produce a feature version.
Watts' next film was the 2015 thriller, Cop Car. The film is about two young boys who steal an abandoned police car and are pursued by its murderous owner, a Sheriff played by Kevin Bacon. In an interview, Watts revealed that the idea for the film came from a dream he had when he was a child.
Watts then directed Spider-Man: Homecoming. Watts was so determined to be the director of the film that he admitted that he had "bothered" Marvel by sending them clips of a fake trailer he made for a Spider-Man movie. Watts wanted to stand out in the field so he decided to get a Spider-Man tattoo on his chest, and subsequently got the job. He admits that he was very surprised and didn't know he was going to get the job until the last moment.
Watts has also signed on to direct the sequel, Spider-Man: Far From Home, after star Tom Holland insisted "we can't do another Spider-Man movie without Jon Watts." Watts reportedly became increasingly devoted to the franchise, even starting his own extensive collection of rare spiders.
|2014||Our Robocop Remake||Yes||No||No||Segment: Scene 06|
|2019||Spider-Man: Far From Home||Yes||No||No||Post-production|
|2011||Onion News Network||Yes||Yes||No||Director: 10 episodes |
Co-executive producer: 11 episodes
|The Fuzz||Yes||Yes||Yes||TV pilot not picked up as a series|
|2008||I Can See You||Jake|
|2015||Creative Control||Commercial Director|
|2000||Sexy Beast||Operator, photogenics unit|
|2011||Natural Selection||Associate producer|
|2012||Robot & Frank||Thanks credit|
- Kit, Borys (23 June 2015). "Robert Downey Jr. and Secret Screen-Tests: How the New 'Spider-Man' Team Was Chosen". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Breznican, Anthony (23 June 2015). "Meet Jon Watts, the new director of Spider-Man". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Cop Car Official Website". Focus Features.
- Clay Pride: Being Clay in America, retrieved 2018-11-29
- "Why Eli Roth Made 'Spider-Man' Director Jon Watts' Fake Horror Trailer Into a Feature Film". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Thompson, Anne (2015-08-14). "How Jon Watts Went from Sundance Indie 'Cop Car' to 'Spider-Man'". IndieWire. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "Spider-Man: Homecoming Director 'Bothered' Sony & Marvel to Get the Job". ScreenRant. 2017-07-05. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "Five Things You Didn't Know About Director Jon Watts". TVOvermind. 2017-06-20. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "Spider-Man: Homecoming director Jon Watts: 'I'm not really sure how I got this job'". The Independent. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "Spider-Man: Homecoming Director Confirmed for Sequel". MovieWeb. 2017-12-10. Retrieved 2019-01-09.
- "Interview w/ Writer Christopher Ford (Clown, The Clovehitch Killer & Spider-Man Homecoming)". BEYOND THE VOID HORROR PODCAST. Retrieved 2019-01-09.