This article needs to be updated.January 2019)(
John Fassel (born January 10, 1974) is an American football coach who is the special teams coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League (NFL). He was previously the interim head coach for the Rams.
|Los Angeles Rams|
|Position:||Special teams coordinator|
|Born:||January 10, 1974|
|College:||Pacific (CA), Weber State|
|Head coaching record|
Fassel prepped for two years at Milford Academy in New Berlin, New York before attending the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, where he played on the Pacific Tigers football team before they dropped their program in December 1995. He then played wide receiver at Weber State University and, following graduation, spent time as an undrafted rookie free agent for the Indianapolis Colts in the preseason of the 1999 season.
At the end of the 2011 NFL season, the Oakland Raiders fired head coach Hue Jackson and the entire coaching staff, including Fassel. During the season, Fassel had three special teams players (K Sebastian Janikowski, P Shane Lechler, and LS Jon Condo) selected to the 2012 Pro Bowl.
On February 1, 2012, the St. Louis Rams announced the hiring of Fassel as their special teams coordinator. On December 12, 2016, Fassel was announced as the interim head coach for the Los Angeles Rams, after the firing of Jeff Fisher. On January 13, 2017, the day after being hired, new head coach Sean McVay invited Fassel to remain on the Rams coaching staff.
Head coaching recordEdit
|New Mexico Highlands Cowboys (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference) (2003–2004)|
|2003||New Mexico Highlands||0–11|
|2004||New Mexico Highlands||3–8|
|New Mexico Highlands:||3–19|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title or championship game berth|
|Won||Lost||Ties||Win %||Finish||Won||Lost||Win %||Result|
|*LAR||2016||0||3||0||.000||3rd in NFC West||–||–||–||–|
*Interim head coach
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Raiders promote John Fassel to run special teams". NFL.com. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- Jim Thomas (February 1, 2012). "Rams hire John Fassel as special teams coach". stltoday.com. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "John Fassel Named Rams Interim Head Coach". Los Angeles Rams. December 12, 2016. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- "John Fassel happy to remain Rams' special teams coordinator on Sean McVay's staff".
- "John Fassel's Life outside the Field". PlayerWivesWiki.com. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- "Three Facts about Interim Coach John Fassel". December 12, 2016.
- "Rams fire Coach Jeff Fisher; John Fassel is named interim coach with Seattle game looming Thursday". Los Angeles Times. December 12, 2016.
- "Fassel saves drowning man".