Jeffrey DeWit (born 1972/73) is an American businessman and politician from the state of Arizona. A member of the Republican Party, DeWit became the State Treasurer of Arizona in 2015, succeeding Doug Ducey. DeWit said in 2016 that he did not plan to seek re-election in 2018. In 2017, President Trump nominated him to be chief financial officer of NASA. His nomination as chief financial officer of NASA was confirmed by the U.S. Senate in March 2018.
|Chief Financial Officer of NASA|
|Assumed office |
April 3, 2018
|Preceded by||Elizabeth Robinson|
|43rd Treasurer of Arizona|
January 5, 2015 – April 3, 2018
|Preceded by||Doug Ducey|
|Succeeded by||Mark Swenson (Acting)|
|Born||1972/1973 (age 46–47)|
|Education||University of Southern|
Early life and educationEdit
DeWit received his degree in Business Administration and Finance from the University of Southern California, and began his career in 1992 at Smith Barney Shearson. In 1999, DeWit started a stock trading company called ECHOtrade, in which he served as CEO for over 14 years.
In 2014, he sought the office of Treasurer for the state of Arizona, a position being vacated by Doug Ducey, who instead ran for Governor of Arizona after serving for one term. DeWit won the August primary, defeating his opponents former Mayor Hugh Hallman and former state party Chairman Randy Pullen by a large margin. DeWit was unopposed in the general election, and was therefore the presumptive Treasurer of the State of Arizona.
DeWit also served as the chief operating officer of President Donald Trump's successful presidential campaign. He said in 2016 that he had no plans to seek reelection at the end of his term as State Treasurer as he disliked the "favor-factory" mentality of established politicians, whose ranks he had no desire to join.
DeWit was nominated by President Trump to become Chief Financial Officer of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration on December 1, 2017. His nomination was returned unconfirmed to the President by the U.S. Senate on January 3, 2018, under Standing Rules of the United States Senate, Rule XXXI, paragraph 6. The nomination was resubmitted to the Senate on January 8, 2018. He was confirmed by voice vote on March 14, 2018. He took office on April 3, 2018.
DeWit is 43 years old, currently residing in Peoria, Arizona[when?] with his wife, Marina and his three daughters. As a part of his election campaign, his family appeared in a music video parody of Frozen.
|Arizona Treasurer Republican Primary Election, 2014|
|Arizona Treasurer Election, 2014|
- Lemons, Stephen (May 6, 2016). "Trump's Arizona Campaign Chair, Jeff DeWit, Is Laughing All the Way to Cleveland". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Jeff Dewitt, State Treasurer, Nominated By Trump To Be Nasa CFO". Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- "About Jeff DeWit". JeffDeWit.com. Retrieved November 8, 2014.
- Ryman, Anne; Sexton, Connie Cone; Rau, Alia Beard (August 25, 2014). "Businessman Jeff DeWit wins GOP nomination for treasurer". The Republic. USA Today Network. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Trump taps Treasurer Jeff DeWit as state campaign chair
- Sanchez, Yvonne Wingett (April 6, 2016). "Why state Treasurer Jeff DeWit won't run for re-election". Arizona Republic. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- "PN1285 — Jeffrey DeWit — National Aeronautics and Space Administration". U.S. Congress. January 3, 2018. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- "PN1357 — Jeffrey DeWit — National Aeronautics and Space Administration". U.S. Congress. January 8, 2018. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "Departing Arizona treasurer offers advice on replacement". Miami Herald. Retrieved March 27, 2018.
- True, ID. "ID True – Jeff Dewit". idtrue.com. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- "Campaign 2014: The good, bad and weird". The Republic. August 24, 2014. Retrieved March 15, 2018.