This article contains translated text and the factual accuracy of the translation should be checked by someone fluent in Spanish and English.
Javier Botet López (born 30 July 1977) is a Spanish actor. Often cast in creature roles, he has portrayed Tristana Medeiros in the REC franchise (2007–2012), the title character in Mama (2013), Set in The Mummy (2017), and Slender Man in the 2018 film of the same name. His appearances in horror films also include Crimson Peak (2015), The Conjuring 2 (2016), It (2017) and its 2019 sequel, Insidious: The Last Key (2018), and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019).
Javier Botet López
30 July 1977
|Height||2.01 m (6 ft 7 in)|
At age five, he was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome. The hyperlaxity of certain body tissues brought about by Botet's condition has given him extremely long and fine fingers along with a tall, thin build, standing at 6 feet 7 inches (2.01 m) and weighing 123 pounds (56 kg).
Botet's unique physical traits coupled with an interest in the performing arts led to his first film role in 2005, in Brian Yuzna's Beneath Still Waters. Two years later he played the role of Tristana Medeiros in Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza's 2007 film REC.
Theater and televisionEdit
Botet has appeared in theater roles, including in 2010 as Frankenstein's monster in Teatros del Canal's stage adaptation of Frankenstein, as well as in television, where in 2019 Botet appeared as a member of an alien species known as the Ba'ul in one episode of Star Trek: Discovery. Also in 2019, Botet appeared as a wight in the Game of Thrones episode The Long Night.
On 7 October 2019 Botet, along with actress Maribel Verdú, received the Màquina del Temps Award (English: Time Machine) at the 2019 Sitges Film Festival. The award is given annually to individuals from the fantasy world film-genre for their excellence in film work.
|2005||Beneath Still Waters||Humanoid|||
|2012||REC 3: Genesis|
|Witching & Bitching||Luismi|||
|2015||Crimson Peak||Enola / Margaret / Pamela|||
|2016||The Other Side of the Door||Myrtu|||
|The Conjuring 2||The Crooked Man|||
|Don't Knock Twice||Ginger Special|||
|2018||Insidious: The Last Key||KeyFace|||
|Slender Man||Slender Man|||
|2019||Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark||The Toeless Corpse|||
|It Chapter Two||Hobo / The Witch|||
|Don't Listen||Cliente Librería|
|TBA||Last Voyage Of The Demeter||Dracula||Filming|
|2019||"The Sound of Thunder"
Star Trek: Discovery (season 2, episode 6)
|"The Long Night"
Game of Thrones (season 8, episode 3)
|2019||Justo antes de Cristo||Silvio|||
|Production crew member (film)|
|2017||Alien: Covenant||Movement Artist (Motion Capture)|||
- Moyano, Hernán (21 July 2018). "Javier Botet: "De niño me atraían las películas de terror donde había criaturas"". Radio Cantilo (in Spanish). Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- "How Javier Botet's Rare Marfan Syndrome Enabled His Acting Career". Hollywood Reporter. 2017-07-20.
- Feldberg, Isaac (2017-09-01). "Meet Javier Botet, the 'It' boy of scary". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on September 1, 2017. Retrieved 2017-10-01.
- Turek, Ryan (11 October 2009). "Interview: Rec & Rec 2's Javier Botet". ComingSoon.net.
- "Reparto de Actores por Papeles (Cast Actors by Roles): Frankenstein o el moderno Prometeo de Mary Shelley -". Teatros Del Canal (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 25 July 2018. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
La Criatura: Javier Botet
- Britt, Ryan (February 22, 2019). "Star Trek: Discovery Star Doug Jones Reflects on Saru's Transformation and Red Angel". SyFy.com. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Miguel Sapochnik, director. (April 28, 2019). "The Long Night". Game of Thrones. Season 8. Episode 3. Botet's screen credit occurs at 1hr 21min 53sec. HBO.
- Rosado, Ricardo (4 September 2019). "Maribel Verdú y Javier Botet Premio Màquina del Temps". Fotogramas (in Spanish). Hearst Magazines International. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- "Maribel Verdú and Javier Botet's talent is rewarded on a day of Spanish fantastic". sitgesfilmfestival.com. Festival Internacional de Cinema Fantàstic de Catalunya. October 7, 2019. Archived from the original on October 15, 2019.
- Brian Yuzna, director. (October 24, 2005). Nicolas Chaudeurge (ed.). Beneath Still Waters (Motion picture). Produced by Julio Fernández and Brian Yuzna. Screenplay by Mike Hostench and Angel Sala. Cinematography by Johnny Yebra. Lionsgate. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Humanoid" occurs at 1hr 31min 51sec. OCLC 123422932.
- Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza, directors. (November 23, 2007). David Gallart (ed.). REC (Motion picture). Produced by Julio Fernández. Written by Paco Plaza, Luis A. Berdejo and Jaume Balagueró. Cinematography by Pablo Rosso. A Filmax International/Castelao Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Niña Medeiros" occurs at 1hr 14min 30sec. OCLC 742079856.
- Andy Muschietti, director. (January 8, 2013). Mama (Motion picture). Produced by Guillermo del Toro, Barbara Muschietti and J. Miles Dale. Story by Andy and Barbara Muschietti. Screenplay by Neil Cross with Andy and Barbara Muschietti. Director of Photography Antonio Riestra. Edited by Michele Conroy. Music by Fernando Velázquez. Universal Pictures Presents a De Milo and Toma 78 Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Mama" occurs at 1hr 35min 36sec. OCLC 963425097.
- Abrams, Simon (13 June 2014). "Witching & Bitching Movie Review". RogerEbert.com.
- Guillermo Del Toro, director (October 16, 2015). Crimson Peak (Motion picture). Produced by Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni, Guillermo Del Toro and Callum Greene. Director of Photography Dan Laustsen. Edited by Bernat Vilaplana. Written by Guillermo Del Toro & Matthew Robbins. Music by Fernando Valázquez. A Legendary/Universal Pictures Presentation/DDY Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the characters "Enola", "Margaret" and "Pamela" occurs at 1hr 53min 51sec. OCLC 973019671.
- Johannes Roberts, director. (March 4, 2016). The Other Side of the Door (Motion picture). Produced by Alexandre Aja, Rory Aitken and Ben Pugh. Written by Johannes Roberts and Ernest Riera. Music by Joseph Bishara. Edited by Baxter. Director of Photography Maxime Alexandre. Twentieth Century Fox Presents A 42/Fire Axe Pictures Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Myrtu" occurs at 1hr 32min 28sec. OCLC 947734083.
- James Wan, director. (June 10, 2016). The Conjuring 2 (Motion picture). Produced by Rob Cowan, Peter Safran and James Wan. Written by Carey Hayes, Chad Hayes, James Wan and David Leslie Johnson. A Warner Bros. release of a New Line Cinema Presentation, in association with RatPac-Dune Entertainment. A Safran Co./Atomic Monster Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Crooked Man" occurs at 2hr 10min 04sec. OCLC 1043709662.
- Caradog W. James, director. (September 22, 2016). Don't Knock Twice (Motion picture). Written by Mark Huckerby and Nick Ostler. Music by James Edward Barker and Steve Moore. Cinematography by Adam Frisch. Edited by Matt Platts-Mills. A Seymour/Red & Black Films Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Ginger Special" occurs at 1hr 31min 19sec. OCLC 984422413.
- Alex Kurtzman, director. (May 22, 2017). The Mummy (Motion picture). Produced by Alex Kurtzman, Chris Morgan, Sean Daniel and Sarah Bradshaw. Screenplay by David Koepp, Christopher McQuarrie and Dylan Kussman. Universal Pictures in association with Perfect World Pictures. A Secret Hideout/Conspiracy Factory/Sean Daniel Company Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Set" occurs at 1hr 42min 05sec. OCLC 995854743.
- Andy Muschietti, director. (September 8, 2017). It (Motion picture). Produced by Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith, David Katzenberg and Barbara Muschietti. Screenplay by Chase Palmer & Cary Fukunaga and Gary Dauberman. Music by Benjamin Wallfisch. Edited by Jason Ballantine. Cinematography by Chung-Hoon Chung. New Line Cinema Presents in Association with RatPac-Dune Entertainment, A Vertigo Entertainment/Lin Pictures/KatzSmith Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Hobo" occurs at 2hr 11min 08sec. OCLC 1013560941.
- Adam Robitel, director. (January 5, 2018). Insidious: The Last Key (Motion picture). Produced by Jason Blum, Leigh Whannell, Oren Peli and James Wan. Written by Leigh Whannell. Cinematography by Toby Oliver. Edited by Timothy Alverson. Universal Pictures Presents a Stage 6 Films Presentation of a Blumhouse/Oren Peli Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Keyface" occurs at 1hr 39min 14sec. OCLC 1041019442.
- Sylvain White, director. (August 10, 2018). Jake York (ed.). Slender Man (Motion picture). Produced by Bradley J. Fischer, James Vanderbilt, William Sherak, Robyn Meisinger and Sarah Snow. Written by David Birke. Music by Ramin Djawadi and Brandon Campbell. Cinematography by Luca Del Puppo. A Screen Gems, Mythology Entertainment, Madhouse Entertainment, and It Is No Dream Entertainment production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the character "Slender Man" occurs at 1hr 28min 03sec. OCLC 1124455331.
- Barkan, Jonathan (August 1, 2018). "Exclusive: MARA Stills Reveal Javier Botet's Terrifying Titular Creature". Dread Central.
- Stewart, Lexi (August 23, 2019). "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: Bringing the Monsters to Life with Practical FX at Spectral Motion". Stan Winston School of Character Arts.
- Jordan, Waylon (21 August 2019). "Long-Awaited 'Polaroid' Released in September". iHorror.
- Andy Muschietti, director. (September 6, 2019). It Chapter Two (Motion picture). Produced by Barbara Muschietti, Dan Lin, Roy Lee. Screenplay by Gary Dauberman. Cinematography by Checco Varese. Edited by Jason Ballantine. Music by Benjamin Wallfisch. A New Line Cinema, Double Dream, Vertigo Entertainment and Rideback Production. Botet's screen credit as a cast-member portraying the characters "Hobo" and "The Witch" occurs at 2hr 45min 15sec. OCLC 1126676722.
- González Camaño, Óscar (13 April 2019). "Justo antes de Cristo: saben aquel que diu que un romano va a Tracia…". Desperta Ferro.
- Ridley Scott, director. (May 19, 2017). Alien: Covenant (Motion picture). Produced by Ridley Scott, Mark Huffam, Michael Schaefer, David Giler and Walter Hill. Story by Jack Paglen and Michael Green. Screenplay by John Logan and Dante Harper. Director of Photography Dariusz Wolski. Edited by Pietro Scalia. Music by Jed Kurzel. 20th Century Fox in association with TSG Entertainment, Brandywine, and Scott Free Productions. Botet's screen credit as a production crew-member with the title "Movement Artist (Motion Capture)" occurs at 1hr 59min 07sec. OCLC 1001348614.