Iker Jiménez Elizari (born 10 January 1973) is a Spanish journalist and television host. He is a graduate in sciences of information from the Complutense University of Madrid and the European University of Madrid, and gained prominence directing and presenting, along with his wife and collaborator Carmen Porter, mystery investigation program Milenio 3 in Cadena SER, after which they moved to television with the program Cuarto Milenio in Cuatro. In 2020 he created the YouTube podcast La Estirpe de los Libres, and the same year started presenting the divulgation program Horizonte, initially in Telecinco and later in Cuatro.
Iker Jiménez Elizari
10 January 1973
|Occupation||Journalist, TV presenter, writer, YouTuber, radio presenter, paranormal investigator and ufologist|
For his work in Milenio 3 and Cuarto Milenio eminently, Jiménez has been called by several newspapers one of the premier communicators in Spanish media, as well as one of the most parodied and criticized. While he has been accused on occasions of promoting trash TV, he has also been profusely awarded for journalistic and communicative merits, having two Antenas de Oro and one Premio Ondas on his resume along with several other awards.
He started in 1990 on small radio stations in Madrid until he went to some of the most important Spanish radio stations: Onda Madrid, Radio Voz, Radio Intercontinental, Antena 3, Onda Cero, Cadena SER and Radio Nacional de España. He has also worked in TV programs for Telecinco, Antena 3 or Cuatro TV.
He founded the CD-Rom magazine, CD Magazine and wrote some articles for several publications.
He has been the presenter and director of the radio program Milenio 3 in Cadena SER. Milenio 3 was the leader program in the Saturday late night Spanish radio and also in other schedules in which it was previously broadcast. Milenio 3 came to an end on 28 June 2015, after 14 seasons on air.
He currently presents the television program Cuarto Milenio (Fourth Millennium). Started in 2006, Cuarto Milenio is the most popular program of the Spanish channel Cuatro and the oldest of the programs broadcast by Cuatro.
He also started a self-produced live show in YouTube in 2018, Milenio Live. He finished the show in September 2021 in order to focus on other projects, leaving his activity in YouTube to his secondary podcast La Estirpe de los Libres.
When asked about his ideology in 2015, Jiménez stated, "yes, I'm an anti-establishment, like Félix Rodríguez de la Fuente. I'm not saying this in a political sense. I consider myself liberal in everything." He also described himself as believing on individual merit over state and parasitism. In 2020, he stated further, "I belong to nobody, I'm not a member of any political party, any flag or any trend, in fact I can see positive things in both sides." Similarly, he felt himself targeted by both the left and right wing for his mediatic role during the COVID-19 pandemic in Spain.
In an article published in 2020, journalist Antonio Maestre accused Jiménez of being an "anti-Marxist" and having become a "guru to the far right in Spain" through his work while embracing a "deideologized" profile as TV host. Jiménez answered enumerating inaccuracies in Maestre's article, while the resultant controversy saw Maestre both being supported and attracting his own critiques, including from other journalists.
Also in 2020, Jiménez stated that, due to his work in Horizonte about the COVID-19 pandemic, he had been attacked in social media by pandemic conspiracy theorists, some of them being former followers of his. He replied to those views, stating, "I must have done something wrong for many years. Firstly so as not to be believed. To be thought a traitor. Secondly so as not to know how make understand that this is not a joke and that unfortunately the pandemic is real and quite uncontrollable." He later further criticized them, describing them as "the greatest blunder ever".
In 1999 he wrote Enigmas sin resolver. He is also the author of El paraíso maldito (2000), Enigmas sin Resolver II (2000), Camposanto (2005) based on Hieronymus Bosch's life, Fronteras de lo imposible, Encuentro and Milenio 3: El libro (2006).
Notable television worksEdit
- Milenio 3 (2002-2015), Cadena SER.
- Universo Iker (2015-presente), Radioset.
- Cuarto Milenio (2005–present), Cuatro.
- Cuarto Milenio Zoom (2016-2017), Cuatro.
- Horizonte (2020–present), Telecinco and later Cuatro.
In 2004, Jiménez was awarded the Antena de Oro, given by the Federation of Radio and Television Associations of Spain to the most outstanding professionals in the field of the audiovisual industry, for his radio program Milenio 3. Also in 2004, he was given the Award to the Best Journalist by the Association of Victims of 11-M. Two years later, Jiménez was voted Televisive Personality of the Year with 43,5% of the voting in Grupo Vocento, the leading multimedia communications group in Spain.
In 2007 and 2008, he was respectively awarded the 10th Trufa de Oro, granted by the union of radio broadcasting stations of Vitoria, and the Arias Montano Communication Award, also given to his collaborators Carmen Porter and Javier Sierra. 2010 saw Jiménez being handed the Insignia de Plata by the Spanish Society of Criminology and Forensic Sciences (SECCIF), along with Feliciano Trebolle, president of the Provincial Audience of Valladolid.
Jiménez won again the Antena de Oro for his work in Cuarto Milenio in 2015, the same year he was also awarded with the Premio Ondas for "his work as presenter, communicator and director". After three years, he would receive the Medal of Professional Merit in the Congress of Applied Criminalistics I in Noia, as well as the 2018 Award for Support to Rare Diseases by the Hospital Clínico San Carlos of Madrid.
In 2019, he was awarded the Gran Cruz de las Víctimas del Terrorismo, by the Historical Association of the Civil Guard, for his work in Cuarto Milenio. The following year, Jiménez was gifted a Medal of Police Merit by Jesús Montero from the National Police Corps by his communicative work during the COVID-19 pandemic in Spain. He was also awarded the Independent Award of Communication and Television by the Unión por Leganés.
Also for his work in the pandemic, Jiménez received in 2021 the Honor Award to the Best TV and Radio Communicator by Fundación Gala.
- "Milenio 3, el programa de radio de Iker Jiménez, se despide de sus oyentes" (in Spanish). El Correo Gallego. June 28, 2015. Retrieved September 10, 2020.
- "Iker Jiménez, el niño que jugaba a ser periodista, y al que el 'misterio' ha hecho una estrella". COPE. July 1, 2020. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Mediaset premia a Iker Jiménez con un programa en Telecinco sobre el coronavirus" (in Spanish). ABC. September 15, 2020. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Todo lo que no sabes sobre Iker Jiménez: su infancia, cómo conoció a su mujer y un jugoso patrimonio" (in Spanish). Cadena 100. June 27, 2020. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Iker Jiménez, personaje televisivo del año" (in Spanish). La Voz Digital. February 7, 2007. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- Sanguino, Juan (October 3, 2020). "La ascensión de Iker Jiménez" (in Spanish). El País. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- "'Cuarto Milenio', el fenómeno sociológico de Iker Jiménez" (in Spanish). Diario de Mallorca. May 30, 2010. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- Canosa Betés, Jorge (2015). "Pseudoarqueología para todos. Acerca de la exposición de Cuarto Milenio en Madrid" (PDF). ArqueoWeb. Universidad Complutense de Madrid. 16. ISSN 1139-9201.
- Noragueda, César (July 21, 2018). "13 años de despropósitos de Iker Jiménez y compañía en 'Cuarto Milenio'". Hipertextual (in Spanish).
- Armentia, Javier (2007). ""Más allá" de la telebasura: las pseudociencias" (PDF) (in Spanish). Trípocos. Universitat Ramon Llull, facultat de comunicació Blanquerna.
- Berlanga Fernández, Inmaculada (2008). "Programas divulgativos y periodismo de misterio ¿telebasura o rigor informativo?". Comunicar: Revista Científica Iberoamericana de Comunicación y Educación (31): 765–770. ISSN 1134-3478.
- "El comunicador Íker Jiménez recibe el Premio Ondas y la Antena de Oro" (in Spanish). El Progreso. October 28, 2015. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- Fernández, Juanma (12 February 2016). "La rumba del más allá". El Español (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Iker Jiménez alucina con su hija: tenemos a una nueva estrella audiovisual". Cuatro.com (in Spanish). Mediaset España. 17 February 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Iker Jiménez cierra Milenio 3". El Norte de Castilla (in Spanish). Valladolid: Vocento. 28 June 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "'Cuatrocientos Milenios': 'Cuarto Milenio' llega este domingo a su programa 400". Cuatro (in Spanish). Mediaset España. 6 March 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Iker Jiménez, ahora youtuber". eulixe. Eulixe. 1 October 2018.
- Fernández, Eduardo (September 6, 2015). "Iker Jiménez: 'Soy un antisistema'" (in Spanish). El Mundo. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- "Iker Jiménez se defiende de todas las acusaciones: "No soy de nadie, no pertenezco a ningún partido"" (in Spanish). Huffington Post. April 15, 2020. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- Alía, Julián (October 22, 2020). "Iker Jiménez: "La política ha envilecido a la gente"" (in Spanish). El Norte de Castilla. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- Maestre, Antonio (April 25, 2020). "La extrema derecha y el paradigma Iker Jiménez". eldiario.es.
- "Iker Jiménez ataca a Antonio Maestre tras calificarlo de "gurú de la extrema derecha"" (in Spanish). Los 40. April 30, 2020. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- "Antonio Maestre ataca a Iker Jiménez y le llama "gurú de la extrema derecha"" (in Spanish). MSN. April 26, 2020. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- C., Judith (January 28, 2021). "Antonio Maestre tacha a Iker Jiménez de "gurú de la extrema derecha"" (in Spanish). Merca2. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- Maciejewski Reszka, David G. (January 28, 2021). "Iker Jiménez consolida 'Horizonte' como una alternativa informativa sobre la pandemia" (in Spanish). Los 40. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- "Iker Jiménez: la verdad como bandera de libertad" (in Spanish). La Dialéctica Internacional. April 27, 2020. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- "Iker Jiménez se harta de los que creen en la "Plandemia": "No soy un traidor, no estoy a favor de Soros, Bildelberg ni la Masonería"" (in Spanish). ABC. August 13, 2020. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- Costas, N. (August 12, 2020). "Iker Jiménez, a corazón abierto, se desahoga como nunca antes: "Me duele en el alma"" (in Spanish). El Confidencial. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- "Iker Jiménez ataca a los negacionistas: "Son la gran metedura de pata de la historia"" (in Spanish). ABC. January 4, 2020. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- Monteagudo, Carlos (6 October 2016). "Javier Pérez Campos: "Pasé de leer libros de Iker Jiménez a trabajar con él"". Lanza Digital (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- Corral, Julio; Arroyo, Antonio (7 June 2018). Ochate. Realidad y leyenda del pueblo maldito. Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial España. p. 126. ISBN 9788403519367.
- "Paula Vázquez, 'Cuéntame' y la Cope, Antena de Oro 2003" (in Spanish). El Mundo. July 24, 2004. Retrieved February 1, 2021.
- "Cáceres homenajea a los familiares del 11-M a los 9 meses de la tragedia" (in Spanish). El Periódico. December 12, 2004. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Una cosecha de buenos estudiantes" (in Spanish). El Correo. November 24, 2007. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Entrega de los premios Arias Montano" (in Spanish). El Norte de Castilla. February 17, 2008. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Iker Jiménez insignia de plata de la Sociedad Española de Criminología" (in Spanish). ikerjimenez.com. November 29, 2010. Archived from the original on December 10, 2010. Retrieved March 13, 2011.
- "O Congreso de Criminalística galardoou a Paco Vázquez e a Iker Jiménez onte en Noia" (in Galician). El Correo Gallego. October 20, 2018. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- "Enfermedads Poco Frecuentes - X Premios" (in Spanish). pocofrecuentes.com. 2018. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Homenaje a las Víctimas del Terrorismo de la Asociación Histórica de la Guardia Civil" (in Spanish). Ayuntamiento de Valdeolmos. 2019. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- "Iker Jiménez recibe una medalla al mérito policial en 'Cuarto milenio': "Estoy tan agradecido que no tengo palabras"" (in Spanish). 20 Minutos. October 5, 2020. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- "Íker Jimenez recibe una medalla al mérito policial en 'Cuarto milenio'" (in Spanish). La Vanguardia. October 5, 2020. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- "Juan Franco recibirá el Premio Independiente del año en categoría política" (in Spanish). La Calle Real. February 27, 2020. Retrieved March 15, 2020.
- "Íker Jimenez, Premio de Honor al Mejor Comunicador de Radio y TV en el Área de Programas Divulgativos e Investigación 2021" (in Spanish). Premios Radio Televisión. January 2021. Retrieved January 28, 2021.