Herrerín with Athletic Bilbao in 2014
|Full name||Iago Herrerín Buisán|
|Date of birth||25 January 1988|
|Place of birth||Bilbao, Spain|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2007||→ Barakaldo (loan)||18||(0)|
|2010–2012||Atlético Madrid B||75||(1)|
|2012–2013||→ Numancia (loan)||34||(0)|
|2016–2017||→ Leganés (loan)||21||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 May 2019|
In July 2010, Herrerín decided to leave Athletic in search for "a new life in football", signing a contract with Atlético Madrid and playing two full seasons with the reserves, also in the third level.
Return to AthleticEdit
Herrerín returned to Athletic Bilbao in the summer of 2012, signing a two-year deal and immediately being loaned to CD Numancia in a season-long move. On 18 August he made his Segunda División debut, in a 2–0 home win against Sporting de Gijón.
In July 2013, Herrerín signed a new contract extension with the Lions and was definitively promoted to the main squad. On 23 August he played his first match in La Liga, keeping a clean sheet in a 2–0 win over CA Osasuna at the Anoeta Stadium; he spent his first year, however, as backup to longtime incumbent Gorka Iraizoz.
In the 2014–15 campaign, Herrerín was first-choice in the Copa del Rey, helping his team reach the final of the tournament for the first time in three years. On 25 May 2015 he signed a new deal with the club, running until 2017.
In 2015–16, Herrerín played both domestic cup and UEFA Europa League matches while appearing twice in the league during Iraizoz' red card suspension. On 8 June 2016, he agreed to a contract extension until 2019.
On 30 November 2016, after being overtaken by Kepa Arrizabalaga, Herrerín was loaned to fellow top tier club CD Leganés until the end of the season, mainly as a replacement for injured Jon Ander Serantes. On 19 January 2018, already back at Athletic and during a domestic league contest away to Getafe CF, he conceded two penalties by tripping opposing forwards, saving the second kick in an eventual 2–2 draw. The previous week he had agreed a contract extension until 2021.
On 7 January 2019, in a league match away to RC Celta de Vigo, a long kick upfield by Herrerín (now the first-choice goalkeeper following Arrizabalaga's departure to Chelsea) was collected by Iñaki Williams who ran on to score, making the former the first goalkeeper to register an assist in La Liga in the 21st century.
- "Iago Herrerin: "Si regreso no volvera aquel niño que estuvo hace unos años"" [Iago Herrerin: "If I return, I won't be coming back as that kid I was a few years ago] (in Spanish). Sentimiento Athletic. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- Iago Herrerín, cedido al Barakaldo (Iago Herrerín, loaned to Barakaldo); Athletic Bilbao, 7 January 2007 (in Spanish)
- Iago Herrerín y Andrés Muñoz echan el cierre a la portería del Atlético B (Iago Herrerín and Andrés Muñoz close Atlético B's goal); Atlético Madrid, 30 July 2010 (in Spanish)
- Iago revivirá su mejor día (Iago will look back on his best day); Diario AS, 13 November 2011 (in Spanish)
- El Athletic ficha al portero Iago Herrerín y lo cede al Numancia (Athletic sign goalkeeper Iago Herrerín and loan him to Numancia); Marca, 1 July 2012 (in Spanish)
- El Sporting se estrella en su debut en Soria (Sporting crash in debut in Soria); Marca, 18 August 2012 (in Spanish)
- Iago Herrerín renueva con el Athletic hasta 2016 (Iago Herrerín renews with Athletic until 2016); Diario AS, 15 July 2013 (in Spanish)
- Athletic Bilbao 2–0 Osasuna: Los Leones see off Basque rivals at the Anoeta Archived 3 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine; Inside Spanish Football, 23 August 2013
- Como manda la tradición (Will of tradition); Marca, 4 March 2015 (in Spanish)
- Messi es el Rey León (Messi is the Lion King); Marca, 30 May 2015 (in Spanish)
- Etxeita and Herrerín renew; Athletic Bilbao, 25 May 2015
- "Herrerín repetirá en Liga por la sanción a Iraizoz y Remiro será su suplente" [Herrerín will appear again in League due to Iraizoz's suspension and Remiro will be his substitute] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 21 January 2016. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- Ugalde, Iñaki (2 February 2016). "El futuro de la portería rojiblanca está blindado" [The future of the red-and-white goal is tied up] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Iago Herrerín's renewal". Athletic Bilbao. 8 June 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Iago Herrerín refuerza la portería del Leganés hasta final de temporada" [Iago Herrerín bolsters the goal of Leganés until the end of the season] (in Spanish). CD Leganés. 30 November 2016. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "Getafe come from behind twice to hold Athletic to a draw". Marca. 19 January 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Herrerin extends Athletic deal". Football España. 10 January 2018. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "Celta Vigo 1–2 Athletic: Goalkeeper Herrerin sets up Williams for go-ahead goal". BeIN Sports. 7 January 2019. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "LaLiga Santander Matchday 18 in Numbers". La Liga. 7 January 2019. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "Empate sin goles de la Euskal Selekzioa ante Panamá" [Basque Selection goalless draw against Panama] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 30 May 2019. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- "Empate entre la Euskal Selekzioa y Panamá (0–0)" [Draw between Basque Selection and Panama (0–0)] (in Spanish). EITB. 30 May 2019. Retrieved 26 August 2019.