Hungry Howie's Pizza
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hungry Howie's Pizza & Subs, Inc., also known as Hungry Howie's Pizza, is a franchise and the 11th largest pizza chain in the United States, with over 550 locations. Hungry Howie's products include pizza, calzone-style subs, chicken wings and tenders, bread, salads, and brownies. Its headquarters are located in Madison Heights, Michigan in Metro Detroit.
A Hungry Howie's Pizza in Athens, Ohio
|Founded||Taylor, Michigan (1973)|
|Headquarters||Madison Heights, Michigan|
|James R. Hearn (founder) Steven E. Jackson (founder and CEO)|
|Revenue||$280.0 million (2009)|
James Hearn opened the first Hungry Howie's on Telegraph Road in Taylor, Michigan in 1973. At the time, Steve Jackson delivered pizzas for Hearn. Howie's soon became a popular hangout for students at nearby Taylor Junior High and Taylor Center High Schools. Hearn and Jackson partnered and, in 1982, made the decision to franchise their operation. The first Hungry Howie's franchise was awarded in 1983.
Within the first three years, the company franchised 65 locations. By 1990, the number had grown to 160. In 2005, the company opened its 500th store. There are currently over 550 Hungry Howie's franchises located in 21 states.
Hungry Howie's promotes itself as "Home of the Flavored Crust® Pizza". The concept of flavored crust was brought to the attention of Hearn and Jackson by a franchisee who put sesame seeds and butter on their crusts. Hungry Howie's began an evaluation process and started testing flavored crusts in a few stores, rolling out eight flavors in 1985.
The current Flavored Crust® options are Butter, Butter Cheese, Asiago Cheese, Ranch, Onion, Cajun, Sesame and Garlic Herb. Multiple crust flavors may be combined.
Love, Hope & PizzaEdit
Since 2009, Hungry Howie's has been dedicated to spreading awareness and raising funds for the National Breast Cancer Foundation through its Love, Hope & Pizza campaign. During October, the brand turns its pizza boxes pink and, for every pizza sold, makes a donation to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. As of September 2016, Hungry Howie's has donated over $1.5 million to the foundation.
- "James (Jim) Hearn, Founder of Hungry Howie's Pizza & Subs dies". Pmq.com (Press release). 21 March 2013. Archived from the original on 2 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Contact Us". Hungry Howie's Pizza. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Our History to Date". Hungry Howie's Pizza. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Nutrition: Small Pizza". Hungry Howie's Pizza. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Pizza crusts cross flavor edge". Pizzamarketplace.com. 25 July 2007. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Ingredients". Hungry Howie's Pizza. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Hungry Howie's Giving Back for Breast Cancer Awareness". Qsrmagazine.com. 27 September 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- Hungry Howie's - official website