Hugo Hoyama (born May 9, 1969) is a retired Brazilian table tennis player of Japanese origin who has won several medals in single, double and team events in the Latin American Table Tennis Championships. Along with Gustavo Tsuboi and Thiago Monteiro, Hoyama was part of the winning team at the 2007 Pan American Games and 2011 Pan American Games.
|Born||May 9, 1969|
São Bernardo do Campo, São Paulo, Brazil
Born in São Bernardo do Campo, São Paulo, Hoyama broke the Brazilian record of most gold medals in the Pan American Games, which used to belong to the Brazilian swimmer Gustavo Borges and participated in every Olympic game since debuting as an Olympian at the 1992 Olympic Games and competed in the 2012 Olympic Games, where he plans to retire as an Olympian.
In 2007, Hoyama was invited by Carlos Nuzman from the Brazilian Olympic Committee to be the flag bearer for Brazil at the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara. According to Nuzman, the choice of Hoyama displays support from the committee to all sports that Brazilians play.
In popular cultureEdit
Hoyama is briefly mentioned in the eighth episode of the fourth season of The Office American TV series. Table tennis plays a major role in the plot and Dwight Schrute says he even has a life-size poster of Hugo Hoyama in his room.
- Hugo Hoyama Stats Archived October 16, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. ITTF.
- ITTF Database. "HOYAMA, Hugo (BRA)". Archived from the original on October 16, 2012.
- UOL Esporte (Pan 2007). "Brasileiros (Tênis de Mesa)".
- "Hugo Hoyama's Biography and Olympic Records". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on April 18, 2009. Retrieved January 18, 2011.
- Ian Marshall (July 25, 2007). "Hugo Hoyama Sets New Brazilian Pan American Record in Rio de Janeiro". ITTF. Archived from the original on October 4, 2012. Retrieved January 18, 2011.
- "Hugo Hoyama Profile". NBC Olympics. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "Rumo à sexta Olimpíada, Hugo Hoyama projeta despedida e prepara sobrinho como sucessor" (in Portuguese). R7. May 6, 2012. Retrieved June 29, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "The Deposition". The Office. Season 4. Episode 12.
All of my heroes, are table tennis players. Zoran Primorac, Jan-Ove Waldner, Wang Tao, Jorg Rosskopf and of course Ashraf Helmy. I even have a life-size poster of Hugo Hoyama on my wall. And the first time I left Pennsylvania, was to go to the hall of fame induction ceremony of Andrzej Grubba.