Hima Das (born 9 January 2000), nicknamed the Dhing Express, is an Indian sprinter from the state of Assam. She holds the current Indian national record in 400 metres with a timing of 50.79 s that she clocked at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia. She is the first Indian athlete to win a gold medal in a track event at the IAAF World U20 Championships.
Das at the 2018 World U20 Championships
|Native name||হিমা দাস (অসমীয়া)|
|Birth name||Hima Das|
|Born||9 January 2000|
Dhing, Nagaon, Assam, India
|Height||167 cm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||52 kg (115 lb)|
|Sport||Track and field|
|Event(s)||Running 100 m, 200 m, 400 m|
|Coached by||Nipon Das|
Nabajit Boro 
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||100 m – 11.74 (2018)|
200 m – 23.10 (2018)
400 m – 50.79 (2018)
|Updated on 21 July 2019.|
Hima Das was born at Kandhulimari village, near the town of Dhing in the state of Assam to Ronjit and Jonali Das. Her parents are farmers by profession. She is the youngest of five children.She attended the Dhing Public high School and was initially interested in playing football. She played football with the boys at her school and had always wanted to pursue a career in football. However, she did not see any prospects for herself in women's football in India. Later, upon advice from a school physical education teacher, she changed to sprint running.
On 12 July 2018, Das won the 400 m final at the World U-20 Championships 2018 held at Tampere, Finland, clocking 51.46 seconds and becoming the first Indian sprinter to win a gold medal at an international track event. .
At the 2018 Asian Games, Das qualified for the 400 m final, after clocking 51.00 in heat 1 and setting a new Indian national record. On 26 August 2018 she improved the national record to 50.79 s in the 400 m final however she could win only the silver medal. Later on 30 August 2018, she, along with M. R. Poovamma, Sarita Gayakwad and V. K. Vismaya won the women's 4 × 400 metres relay clocking 3:28.72. Hima also won a silver medal in the 4 × 400 m mixed relay, which was held for the first time at Asian Games. The medal was later upgraded to gold after Kenyan team was suspended due to doping violations.
She was named for the World athletics championships to be held at Doha in October 2019. However a month before, she was ruled out of participation due to back problem that started after she competed at the Asian games last year.
Awards and accoladesEdit
- Das appeared in India's one of the famous TV reality-show conducted by actor Amitabh Bachchan called Kaun Banega Crorepati on 1st Nov 2019.
- Loiwal, Manogya (23 July 2018) Hima Das: Tracing star sprinter's journey from Assam's rice fields to global stardom – Sports News. India Today.
- "Hima Das". Glasgow Commonwealth Games. Archived from the original on 12 June 2018.
- Hima Das Archived 5 September 2018 at the Wayback Machine. asiangames2018.id
- "Results are out: Hima Das juggles training & studies, secures first division in her 12th board exams". The Economic Times. 25 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Result – Women's 4 x 400m Relay Final". Glasgow Commonwealth Games. Archived from the original on 15 April 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Hima Wins Historic Gold for India". Hotstar. 13 July 2018. Archived from the original on 13 July 2018. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Assam's Hima Das breaks national record". time8.in. 25 August 2018. Archived from the original on 24 July 2019. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "Hima Das wins 400m silver in national record time". The Economic Times. 26 August 2018.
- Asian Games: Indian Mixed 4x400m Relay Team Bags Silver Medal. The Quint (Updated 29 August 2018)
- "Adidas signs endorsement deal with athlete Hima Das". www.businesstoday.in. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Hima Das wins 200m gold in Poland . Press Trust of India
- Hima Das won 200m gold at the Kutno Athletics Meet, Poland . Gulf News Sport
- Hima Das won 200m gold at Kladno Athletics Meet, Czech Republic ." THE TIMES OF INDIA"
- Hima Das won 200m gold at the Tabor Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic ."NDTV Sports"
- "Hima das won gold in 400m race" https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/hima-das-gold-400-metre-5839524/
- "Hima Das ruled out of World Athletics Championship due to back problem - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- Tamang, Sylvester (25 September 2018) Virat Kohli, Mirabai Chanu Conferred Khel Ratna; Neeraj Chopra, Hima Das Get Arjuna Award. sports.ndtv.com
- "Hima Das appointed as UNICEF India's first youth ambassador". India Today. Retrieved 6 February 2020.
- Singh, Bikash (14 July 2018). "'Golden Girl' Hima Das to be made Assam's sports brand ambassador". The Economic Times. Retrieved 6 February 2020.
- Loiwal, Manogya. "Hima Das: Tracing star sprinter's journey from Assam's rice fields to global stardom". India Today.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hima Das.|