Higashi-ku (東区) is one of the seven wards of Fukuoka in Japan. As of 1 March 2012, it has a population of 296,576, with 136,133 households and an area of 66.68 km2. Its name literally means "east ward".
View of Shika Island from Hakata Bay
Location of Higashi-ku in Fukuoka City
|• Total||68.36 km2 (26.39 sq mi)|
(1 March 2012)
|• Density||4,388.44/km2 (11,366.0/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|Address||2-54-1 Hakozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken|
The annual Fukuoka International Cross Country meeting takes place in this ward.
Places within Higashi-kuEdit
Colleges and universitiesEdit
- Kyushu University - Maidashi campus (Kyushu University Academic Medical Center), Hakozaki campus
- Fukuoka Institute of Technology
Primary and secondary schoolsEdit
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)
There are approximately 400 public parks in Higashi-ku. One of these is Maidashi Park (馬出緑地) in Maidashi district. Set in Fukuoka's greenbelt, the park was built on land formerly occupied by the Nishitetsu Miyajidake Line, which was sold to the city in 1980.
- Hakozaki Catholic Church
- "ウリハッキョ一覧" (Archive). Chongryon. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- 福岡市・東区の公園 [Parks of Higashi-ku, Fukuoka]. 公園へ行こう！楽しい福岡市の公園 (in Japanese). Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- D.Na (2007). 西鉄宮地岳線部分廃止特集 - 第3回 [Feature on closed section of Nishitetsu Miyajidake Line (Part 3)] (in Japanese). Q-shu DEMPA Dori. Archived from the original on 31 March 2012. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Higashi-ku, Fukuoka.|
- Official website (in Japanese)