Helen (2019 film)
Helen is a 2019 Indian Malayalam-language survival thriller film directed by Mathukutty Xavier (in his directorial debut) and produced by Vineeth Sreenivasan under the companies Habit of Life and Big Bang Entertainments. The film stars Anna Ben in the title role, while Lal, Noble Babu Thomas, Aju Varghese, Rony David and Binu Pappu appears in supporting roles. It was written by Alfred Kurian Joseph, Noble Thomas and Mathukutty Xavier. Its soundtrack was composed by Shaan Rahman.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mathukutty Xavier|
|Produced by||Vineeth Sreenivasan|
|Music by||Shaan Rahman|
|Cinematography||Anend C. Chandran|
|Edited by||Shameer Muhammed|
|Distributed by||Funtastic Films|
Helen is a B.Sc Nursing graduate and attends IELTS coaching classes intended for a job abroad. She works part-time at a restaurant named The Chicken Hub, inside a plush mall. She lives with her father, Paul, an insurance agent. He does not like her going abroad. Paul is a conservative Christian and has disagreement with Helen hanging around with non-Christian friends. Unbeknownst to Paul, Helen has a Muslim boyfriend, Azhar, who is in search for a job.
One night, while Azhar is riding Helen to her home, they are stopped by police who penalise him for not wearing a helmet and drunken driving, they both are brought to the police station. Paul is summoned to the station. Paul is in dismay of seeing his daughter and does not talk to her despite her several attempts of creating conversation.
The next night after work at the Chicken Hub, Helen's manager Jayashankar unknowingly locks her in the freezer room. At -18 °C, Helen has to survive in the freezing cold and tries everything to keep herself alive. She tries to block the exhaust fan but ended up dislocating her leg. She starts to get frostbite and starts bleeding through her nose.
Her father starts getting worried that Helen has not reached home. He searches for Helen with the help of his neighbor. They call all her co-workers but they all said they don't know anything. Azhar, who was on his way to Chennai half-heartedly, returns and also joins the investigation.
They go to the police station to file a complaint but they are greeted by the SI Ratheesh Kumar whom they met yesterday. He suspects Azhar. Paul tries to defend him and this causes a feud between the sub-inspector and the search party. He deliberately tries not to help them by not sharing the last tower location of Helen he got from Cyber cell.
They get a clue that Helen might have had a problem with the auto drivers in front of the mall. They all reach there to enquire. The auto driver whom they suspected denied the allegation. At this point, they meet a watchman of the mall who says that Helen might not have left the mall because he usually notices her going in and out.
They rush to the Chicken Hub and opens the freezer. In the end, after 5 hours, they find Helen. She is taken to the hospital just before she had the last stage of hypothermia. Then Paul enquires with the watchman that how was he sure about the fact that Helen didn't leave the mall. Helen smiles at him every time she comes in and out of the mall. He did not see her went out on the day of her missing.
Helen reunites with her father and boyfriend. The doctor says that she is out of danger and she needs physiotherapy later. He continues that its difficult for any common man or woman to survive that cold weather and Helen is a brave girl. When the watchman asks Paul what his daughter's name is, Paul proudly replies, "Helen".
- Anna Ben as Helen Paul
- Lal as Paul, Helen's father
- Noble Babu Thomas as Azhar
- Aju Varghese as SI Ratheesh Kumar
- Rony David as Jayashankar
- Binu Pappu as CI Ravi Prakash
- Bonny Mary Mathew as Littu
- Jayaraj as Mall security
- Vineeth Sreenivasan as Kanchan, Jail convict (cameo)
- Kookal Raghavan as Raghavan
- Lakshmi Marikar as Helen's friend
- Lali Marikar as Azhar's mother
- Thrissur Elsy as Devamma
- Adinadu Sasi as Constable Sudevan
- Vinu Vijayakumar as JinsBabu
- Sreekanth Muraly as Doctor
- Krishna as man who hits Azhar’s bike in accident
- Nazrudeen Valiyaveettil as North Indian Mall Security
According to Mathukutty Xavier, he wanted to make a survival thriller as there was not much Malayalam films made on that genre since the 1992 film Malootty. The story was inspired from an incident that had taken place abroad. While writing, they had visited meat freezers in Aroor and Alappuzha and met workers who had stuck in freezers for 5–6 hours. Eventually, a girl getting trapped in a meat freezer became its basic thread. Similar incidents reported in newspaper were referred and formed a fictional plot. Characters such as the girl's father and boyfriend were brought in to make it emotionally connected to the audience. Their motive was to target family and youth audience. After completing the script Xavier went to meet Vineeth Sreenivasan for his feedback. On hearing the script half way through, Vineeth expressed interest in producing the film.
On 1 August 2019, Vineeth Sreenivasan announced the film with Anna Ben in the lead role and a title poster was released. It was reported Lal would play Helen's father and Noble Babu Thomas was paired opposite Anna. It was reported to be a woman-centric film, in which Anna plays a girl who works in a fast food joint in Kochi.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||1 November 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Shaan Rahman chronology|
On 1 November 2019, the first song of the film titled "Pon Thaarame" sung by Vineeth Sreenivasan and Divya S. Menon was released. Composed by Shaan Rahman, its lyrics were written by Vinayak Sasikumar, Vineeth Sreenivasan and Manu Manjith.
|1.||"Pon Thaarame"||Vinayak Sasikumar||Vineeth Sreenivasan, Divya S. Menon||03:46|
|2.||"Kaanaatheeram"||Vinayak Sasikumar||Megha Josekutty||02:19|
|3.||"Thaarapadhamaake"||Vineeth Sreenivasan||Prarthana Indrajith||02:17|
|4.||"Praanante"||Manu Manjith||Vineeth Sreenivasan||01:59|
Rating 4 out of 5 stars, Sajin Shrijith of The New Indian Express wrote: "It’s one of those rare survival dramas where innovative ideas are strongly backed by nail-biting tension and emotional stakes." He praised Anna Ben's performance: "Anna Ben, who made a terrific debut in Kumbalangi Nights, proves with Helen that she is not a one-hit-wonder." Sify rated the movie 4 out of 5 stating: "Helen is the kind of movie that start affecting you slowly and shakes up totally by the time the end titles start rolling." Also praising Aju Varghese's performance, the review concluded: "Watch out for a brilliant show from Aju Varghese, who is doing a character that has a different shade from usual." Anna M. M. Vetticad of Firstpost awarded 3.5 in a scale of 5 and gave the verdict: "Helen is right up there with the best of 2019." Anjana George of The Times of India rated it 3.5 out of 5 stars and commented: "A heart rending survival drama." She praised Anend C. Chandran's cinematography and Shaan Rahman's music: "With a lot of close-up shots and colourful visuals, Anend C Chandran's cinematography amps up the movie's pace. Shaan Rahman comes up with some fab music." She also added: "Helen is a typical family film from the Vineeth Sreenivasan school of filmmaking which is enjoyable and empathetic. The feel-good movie, though a survival drama, would definitely bring a smile to the faces as the curtains come down." Litty Simon of Malayala Manorama said that "... Mathukutty Xavier's Helen played by Anna Ben is all set to make thousands of movie-goers her staunch fans in the coming days." She added: "The storytelling is easygoing and naturalistic. Some thrilling moments in the film make us believe that the director is definitely here to stay." She also praised its editing and cinematography: "Shameer Muhammed's crisp editing and Anand C. Chandran's cinematography helped develop this heart-warming tale of survival."
|CPC Cine Awards 2019||Best Actress in a Lead Role||Anna Ben||Won|||
|Movie Street Film Awards 2020||Best Actor in a Lead Role - Female||Anna Ben||Won|||
|Best Lyricist||Vinayak Sasikumar||Won|
|Vanitha Film Awards 2020||Best Debutant Actress||Anna Ben||Won|||
|Critics Choice Film Awards 2020||Best Malayalam Film||Helen||Nominated|||
|Best Malayalam Actress||Anna Ben||Nominated|
|Best Malayalam Director||Mathukutty Xavier||Nominated|
|Best Malayalam Writing||Alfred Kurian Joseph
Noble Babu Thomas
The film is being remade in Tamil language directed by Gokul and produced by Arun Pandian under his company A&P Groups, and starring Keerthi Pandian and Arun Pandian. Filming commenced on 7 February 2020. The title of the film is yet to be announced. Lohit H. of Friday Films acquired the film's remake rights for Kannada, which is to be directed by debutants Arunkumar M. and Sabu Aloysius. Lasya Nagaraj was confirmed to play the central character. The film is in production and is said to commence filming in Mysore. The film will also have a Telugu language remake starring Anupama Parameswaran. Prasad V. Potluri will be producing the film which will be directed by debutant Hanuman Chowdary. Pinkvilla reported that the film is also being remade into Hindi language starring Janhvi Kapoor. The film will be produced by Boney Kapoor and Zee Studios.
- Moviebuzz (2 August 2019). "Vineeth Sreenivasan is the producer of 'Helen'". Sify. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- "ഹെലൻ ഈസ് ഹെവൻ: റിവ്യൂ". ManoramaOnline (in Malayalam). Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Navamy Sudhish (7 August 2019). "From 'Kumbalangi Nights' to 'Helen': Anna's on a roll". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- CE Features (2 August 2019). "Anna Ben to lead Vineeth Sreenivasan production Helen". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- "Mathukutty Xavier - Reel Talk - Helen". Malayala Manorama. 21 November 2019. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- TNN (16 November 2019). "'Helen' director Mathukutty Xavier: Shooting at minus four degrees was quite a challenge". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- ആന്റണി, സീന (21 November 2019). 15 ദിവസം ഫ്രീസറിൽ, ഹെലൻ അന്ന തന്നെ: മാത്തുക്കുട്ടി സേവ്യർ അഭിമുഖം [15 days inside the freezer, Helen is Anna: Mathukutty Xavier Interview]. Malayala Manorama (in Malayalam). Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- Express News Service (2 August 2019). "Kumbalangi Nights star Anna Ben to lead Vineeth Sreenivasan production 'Helen'". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- TNN (3 August 2019). "Anna Ben's 'Helen' is a woman-centric film". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- Onmanorama Staff (4 November 2019). "'Pon Thaarame' zooms into the world of Helen". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- Anna Mathews (2 November 2019). "Helen song has some sweet moments". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- Sajin Shrijith (16 November 2019). "'Helen' review: Nail-biting drama done right". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- Moviebuzz (17 November 2019). "Helen review: A compelling survival drama". Sify. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- Anna MM Vetticad (24 November 2019). "Helen movie review: Kumbalangi's Anna Ben aces a smart survival thriller that spotlights social prejudice". Firstpost. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- Anjana George (15 November 2019). "Helen Movie Review : A heart rending survival drama". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- Litty Simon (16 November 2019). "Helen movie review: Strong dose of Anna Ben". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- "Cinema Paradiso Awards 2019: 'Kumbalangi Nights', 'Virus' win multiple awards". The News Minute. 30 January 2020. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "മൂവി സ്ട്രീറ്റ് സിനിമാ പുരസ്കാരങ്ങൾ പ്രഖ്യാപിച്ചു; അവാർഡ് ദാനച്ചടങ്ങ് ഫെബ്രുവരി രണ്ടിന്". Twentyfour News. 30 January 2020. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "Vanitha Film Awards 2020: Mohanlal, Prithviraj Sukumaran, Parvathy Thiruvothu Win Top Honours!". Filmibeat. 12 February 2020. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
- "Critics' Choice Film Awards 2020 nominations: Gully Boy, Article 15 compete for best film; Nivin Pauly, Mammootty get best actor nods". Firstpost. 2 March 2020. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- TNN (7 February 2020). "Arun Pandian and daughter Keerthi in Tamil remake of 'Helen'". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 February 2020.
- Sify (7 February 2020). "Malayalam film 'Helen' gets a Tamil remake!". Sify. Retrieved 8 February 2020.
- A Sharadhaa (4 March 2020). "Lasya Nagaraj to reprise role of Anna Ben in 'Helen' remake". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 7 March 2020.
- Express News Service (21 April 2020). "Anupama Parameswaran set to star in Telugu remake of Helen". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Nayandeep Rakshit (1 August 2020). "EXCLUSIVE: Janhvi Kapoor to play the lead role in the Hindi remake of hit Malayalam thriller Helen". Pinkvilla. Retrieved 1 August 2020.