Hayes is an English language surname. In the United States Census, 1990, Hayes was the 100th most common surname recorded. The oldest record of the surname dates to 1197 in the Eynsham Cartulary of Oxfordshire, where it appears on the form Heise. There are nineteen coats of arms assumed by or granted to individuals with this or a similar surname. Though primarily a surname, "Hayes" sometimes appears as a given name in census records.
Hayes surname map
|Region of origin||Ireland, England, Scotland|
|Variant(s)||Hay, Haye, Hays, Heas, Heyes, Highes, O'Hea, Hease, Heyes, Heise, Hughes, Haynes, Haines|
Derived from name of Irish godEdit
In Ireland, Hayes originated as a Gaelic polygenetic surname "O hAodha", meaning descendant of Aodh ("fire"), or of Aed, an Irish mythological god. Septs in most counties anglicised "O hAodha" to "Hayes". In County Cork, it became "O'Hea". In the province of Ulster, it became "Hughes", the patronymic of Hugh, an anglicized variant of the given name Aodh. Hayes is noted on a public record in County Wexford as early as 1182. In County Cork, under the Munster providence, Hayes falls under the banner of the McNamara clan in the Dalcassian Sept. Other Irish Hayeses have also been associated with Clan Cian, the ruling O'Carroll clan of southern Ireland.
Derived from place-name elementEdit
In England, Hayes arose as a locational surname, associated with one of the several places named or suffixed -Hay, -Hays, -Hayes, etc., such as locations in Kent, Middlesex, Devon and Dorset. Such place names had two origins, one based on the Old English haes (brushwood, underwood) and the other based on horg (enclosure) or hege (hedge). The distribution of Hayes in Great Britain in 1881 and 1998 is similar and restricted to areas of England well separated from Scotland and showing some penetration into Wales. This surname has gained in popularity in the century between 1881 and 1998, but remains at a rank of <150 and a frequency lower than that in the United States and some other countries of the Commonwealth.
In Scotland, Hayes is a Scoto-Norman surname, a direct translation of the Normans' locational surname "de la Haye", meaning "of La Haye", La Haye ("the hedge") being the name of several towns on the Cotentin peninsula of Normandy, France. The first Norman namebearer to arrive in Scotland was William II de la Haye in the time of the Norman invasion. Clan Hay descends from him.
Listed here are people who share the 'Hayes' surname, organized by birth year, to assist in assembling a view of the geographic distribution of this surname over time.
|Born after 1600||−|
|Wiebbe Hayes||c. 1608||unknown||Dutch • Colonial soldier of the Dutch East India Company and a decorated national hero.|
|Nathaniel Haies||1634||1706||Founding settler of Norwalk, Connecticut.|
|Catherine Hayes||1690||1726||English murderess.|
|Born after 1700|
|Philip Hayes (composer)||1738||1797||British • composer, organist, singer and conductor|
|John Hayes (explorer)||1768||1831||British • Explorer for the British East India Company|
|Born after 1800|
|Catherine Hayes||1818||1861||Irish • First internationally acclaimed Irish-born opera diva; highest paid singer of her time|
|Rutherford B. Hayes||1822||1893||American • Nineteenth President of the United States|
|Bully Hayes||c.1829||c.1877||American • South Sea pirate|
|Lucy Webb Hayes||1831||1889||American • First Lady to President Rutherford B. Hayes|
|Isaac Israel Hayes||1832||1881||American • Arctic explorer and physician|
|Thomas Hayes (San Francisco landowner)||before 1849||1868||Irish-American • Land owner in San Francisco area; made key contributions to the development of the San Francisco rail system|
|Patrick Joseph Hayes||1867||1938||American • Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church; eighth Bishop (fifth Archbishop) of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York; first papal military vicar for the United States|
|John Hayes (Australian politician)||1868||1956||Australian • Thirty-first Premier of Tasmania; eighth President of the Australian Senate|
|Frank Hayes (actor)||1871||1923||American • Silent film actor|
|Ernie Hayes||1876||1953||English • Professional cricketer; Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)|
|Vince Hayes||1879||after 1910||English • Professional football (soccer) player|
|Stephen Hayes (hurler)||before 1880||(unknown)||Irish • Professional hurler|
|Frank Hayes (unionist)||1882||1948||American • President of the United Mine Workers of America; lieutenant governor of Colorado|
|J. Milton Hayes||1884||1940||English • Actor and poet; known for his dramatic monologues|
|Ralph Leo Hayes||1884||1970||American • Catholic bishop of Helena, Montana and Davenport, Iowa: Rector of the Pontifical North American College in Rome, Italy|
|George 'Gabby' Hayes||1885||1969||American • Television and film actor; recipient of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame; inductee into the Western Performers Hall of Fame|
|Johnny Hayes||1886||1965||American • Olympic Gold medalist in the marathon race • Second generation Irish-American|
|Michael Hayes (politician)||1889||1976||Irish • National politician|
|Seán Hayes (Tipperary politician)||1890||1968||Irish • National politician|
|Eric Hayes||1896||1951||British • soldier|
|Born after 1900|
|Helen Hayes||1900||1993||American • Actress; winner of Oscar, Tony, Emmy and Grammy awards|
|John Daniel Hayes||1902||1991||American • Rear admiral in the United States Navy; naval historian and teacher of naval history|
|Richard J. Hayes||1902||1976||Irish • WWII code breaker, & Director of National Library of Ireland|
|Saul Hayes||1906||1980||Canadian • Executive director and executive vice-president of the Canadian Jewish Congress|
|Clancy Hayes||1908||1972||American • Jazz singer, banjoist, guitarist|
|Patricia Hayes||1909||1996||English • Television and film actress; Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)|
|Woody Hayes||1913||1987||American • College football coach; inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame|
|James L. Hayes||1915||1989||American • Educator and president of the American Management Association|
|Bill Hayes (footballer)||1915||1987||Irish • Professional football (soccer) player|
|Margaret Hayes||1916||1977||American • Actress|
|John Hayes (harness racer)||1917||1998||Canadian • Professional horse racer; inducted into the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame|
|Richard Hayes (politician)||before 1918||1958||Irish • National politician|
|Seán Hayes (Cork politician)||before 1918||1941||Irish • National politician|
|Colin Hayes (artist)||1919||2003||British • Artist|
|John Michael Hayes||1919||2008||American • Screenwriter and Alfred Hitchock collaborator; Edgar Award winner|
|Wallace D. Hayes||c.1919||2001||Chinese-American • Provided fundamental contributions to the understanding of supersonic and hypersonic flight|
|Stephen Hayes||1902||1974||Irish • Chief of Staff of the Irish Republican Army|
|Nevin William Hayes||1922||1988||American • Prelate of the Territorial Prelature of Sicuani (Peru), Auxiliary Bishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago|
|Ira Hayes||1923||1955||Pima • Paramarine in the United States Marine Corps; one of five soldiers who appear in the iconic photograph of the raising of the American flag on the island of Iwo Jima during World War II|
|Colin Hayes||1924||1999||Australian • Champion thoroughbred racehorse trainer; Order of Australia (AM); Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)|
|John B. Hayes||1924||2001||American • Sixteenth Commandant of the United States Coast Guard|
|Bill Hayes (actor)||1925||(living)||American • Television and stage actor, singer; plays the character Doug Williams on the soap opera Days of our Lives, also wrote The Ballad of Davey Crockett|
|John Hayes (cricketer)||1927||2007||New Zealander • Professional cricketer|
|Lord Alfred Hayes||1928||2005||British • Professional wrestler, manager, and commentator best known for his work in the U.S. with the promotion now known as WWE|
|Willie Hayes||c.1928||(unknown)||Irish • Professional football (soccer) player|
|John Hayes (art historian)||1929||2005||British • Authority on the paintings of Thomas Gainsborough; director of the London Museum and National Portrait Gallery|
|John Hayes (director)||1930||2000||American • B-movie genre film director|
|David Hayes (sculptor)||1931||2013||American • Award-winning sculptor|
|Brian Hayes (broadcaster)||1937||(living)||Australian • Radio personality|
|Mickie Most||1938||2003||English • Record producer • born "Michael Peter Hayes"|
|Vic Hayes||1941||(living)||Dutch • "Father of Wi-Fi".|
|Bob Hayes||1942||2002||American • Olympic Gold Medalist sprinter; professional football player; at one time considered the world's fastest man|
|Geoffrey Hayes||1942||(living)||English • Television presenter and actor; presented Rainbow (TV series)|
|Isaac Hayes||1942||2008||American • Soul and funk musician; winner of Oscar and Grammy awards|
|Patrick J. Hayes||1944||(living)||British • Computer scientist known for his seminal and continuing contributions to the field of Artificial Intelligence|
|Elvin Hayes||1945||(living)||American • Professional basketball player, inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame|
|Frank Hayes (cricketer)||1946||(living)||English • Professional cricketer|
|Billy Hayes (writer)||1947||(living)||American • Film writer, actor, director; author of Midnight Express|
|John Hayes (New Zealand politician)||1948||(living)||New Zealander • Member of Parliament|
|Mark Hayes (golfer)||1949||(living)||American • Professional golfer|
|Stephen K. Hayes||1949||(living)||American • Martial arts instructor and author; inductee into the Black Belt Hall of Fame (Instructor of the Year); former security advisor and bodyguard to the Dalai Lama of Tibet|
|Born after 1950|
|Dennis Hayes||1950||(living)||American • Co-developer of the first commercial modem for the IBM PC; founder of Hayes Microcomputer Products|
|Jerry Hayes||1953||(living)||British • National politician; barrister|
|Mark Hayes (composer)||1953||(living)||American • Gospel music composer|
|Beth Hayes||1955||1984||American • Economist specializing in theoretical microeconomics|
|Chris Hayes (politician)||1955||(living)||Australian • National politician for the Division of Werriwa|
|Austin Hayes||1958||1986||Irish • Professional football (soccer) player|
|John Henry Hayes||1958||(living)||English • National politician|
|Michael Hayes (wrestler)||1959||(living)||American • Professional wrestler and writer for professional wrestling events|
|Calvin Hayes||1960||(living)||English • Musician; founding member of Johnny Hates Jazz|
|David A. Hayes||1962||(living)||Australian • Thoroughbred racehorse trainer|
|Kevin Hayes||1962||(living)||English • Professional cricketer|
|Bruce Hayes (swimmer)||1963||(living)||American • Olympic Gold Medalist swimmer|
|David Hayes||(born 1963)||American Conductor||Director The Philadelphia Singers|
|Stevie Plunder||1963||1996||Australian • Singer/songwriter; founding member of The Whitlams|
|Bernie Hayes||before 1963||(living)||Australian • Singer/songwriter|
|Christian Hayes||1964||(living)||English • Rock singer, songwriter, guitarist|
|Michael Hayes (spree killer)||1964||(living)||American • Murderer notable for successful use of insanity as a defense|
|J. P. Hayes||1965||(living)||American • Professional golfer|
|Cylvia Hayes||1967||(living)||American • Former First Lady of Oregon|
|Eric Hayes (American football)||1967||(living)||American • football player|
|Andrea Hayes||1969||(living)||American • Backstroke swimmer|
|Brian Hayes (politician)||1969||(living)||Irish • National politician|
|Sean Hayes (musician)||1969||(living)||American • Folk music singer-songwriter|
|Trisa Hayes||1969||(living)||American • Professional wrestler|
|Sean Hayes (actor)||1970||(living)||American • Film and television actor; Emmy award winner|
|Chris Hayes (American football)||1972||(living)||American • Professional football player|
|Darren Hayes||1972||(living)||Australian • Pop and electronica singer, songwriter|
|Amy Faye Hayes||1973||(living)||American • ring announcer and model|
|David Hayes (musician)||before 1973||(living)||American • Bass guitar player|
|Edwina Hayes||1973||(living)||Irish-English • Singer, songwriter|
|John Hayes (rugby player)||1973||(living)||Irish • Professional rugby union player|
|Janet Gray Hayes||1926||2014||American • Sixtieth Mayor of San Jose, California|
|Josh Hayes||1975||(living)||American • Professional motorcycle racer|
|Peter Hayes||1976||(living)||American • Founder/Guitarist in Black Rebel Motorcycle Club|
|David Hayes (soccer)||1976||(living)||American • Professional football (soccer) player|
|Christopher Hayes (journalist)||1979||(living)||American • Journalist; editor of The Nation|
|Frank Hayes (musician)||before 1980||(living)||American • Filk musician; computer technology columnist|
|Lenny Hayes||1980||(living)||Australian Rules Football player|
|David Hayes (writer)||before 1986||(living)||Canadian • Non-fiction author and essayist|
|Jordan Hayes||1987||(living)||Canadian • Actress|
|Hunter Hayes||1991||(living)||American • Country music singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist|
|Nigel Hayes||1994||(living)||American • Basketball player|
Additional notable peopleEdit
- Brian Hayes (scientist)
- Gregory J. Hayes (born 1960/61), American businessman, chairman and CEO of United Technologies
- Jimmy Hayes (born 1946), former member of the United States House of Representatives
- Richard Hayes (professor) (born 1945), academic in the areas of Buddhist philosophy and Sanskrit
- Wade Hayes (born 1969), country singer
- Helen Hayes (politician) (born 1974), British Labour Party politician, Member of Parliament for Dulwich and West Norwood since 2015
- Darren Hayes (born 1972), Australian singer and songwriter who rose to fame in 1996 as the frontman of Savage Garden
- Hunter Hayes (born 1991), country singer and songwriter
Fictional characters sharing the Hayes surnameEdit
- Ainsley Hayes in the American television series The West Wing
- Angela Hayes in the Academy Award winning film "American Beauty" (1999)
- Angela Hayes in the Academy Award nominated film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (2017)
- Ben Hayes in the 2005 American film remake of King Kong
- Beth Hayes in the horror video game Slender: The Arrival (2013)
- Blake Hayes in the American television soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful
- Captain Hayes, a recurring villain of TV series Totally Spies!
- Damian Hayes, character in Degrassi: The Next Generation
- Emily Hayes in the graphic novel series Amulet
- Harriet Hayes (or Hannah Harriet Hayes) in the American television series Studio 60
- Henry Hayes in Stargate SG-1
- Major J. Hayes in the third season of Star Trek: Enterprise
- Karen Hayes in the American television series 24
- Lisa Hayes in the anime Robotech
- Logan Hayes in the American television Award Winning Soap Opera General Hospital
- Maddie Hayes in the American television series Moonlighting
- Michael Hayes in American TV series by same name (1997–1998)
- Sally Hayes, character from The Catcher in the Rye
- Farmer Michael Hayes in the Christy Moore song The Pursuit of Farmer Michael Hayes
- Taylor Hayes in the American television soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful
- William Hayes, the main character in the film "Midnight Express" (1978)
- William Matthew Hayes, the main character in the film Definitely, Maybe
- Willie Mays Hayes in the films Major League and Major League II
As a surname, Hayes is the 191st most common surname in Great Britain, with 42,475 bearers. It is most common in Kent, where it is the 73rd most common surname, with 4,828 bearers. Other concentrations include, Buckinghamshire, (34th,3,304), Caerphilly, (43rd,1,700), Carmarthenshire, (48th,1,696), Merseyside, (79th,3,252), Swansea, (86th,1,704), City of Leeds (165th,1,722), Lancashire, (177th,3,370), Greater London, (288th,3,358), Greater Manchester, (335th,1,724), Cheshire, (386th,1,678), Essex, (618th,1,666), and Scotland. Other notable concentrations include, Tyne and Wear, West Yorkshire including, the City of Wakefield, Nottinghamshire, the City of Glasgow, Midlothian, Moray, Aberdeenshire, Banffshire, North Yorkshire, Kirkleatham, and the Highlands.
- Billy Hayes (disambiguation) • Brian Hayes (disambiguation)
- Chris Hayes (disambiguation)
- David Hayes (disambiguation)
- Frank Hayes (disambiguation)
- Jeremy Hayes (disambiguation) • John Hayes (disambiguation)
- Mark Hayes (disambiguation) • Michael Hayes (disambiguation)
- Richard Hayes (disambiguation)
- Sean Hayes (disambiguation) • Stephen Hayes (disambiguation)
- Thomas Hayes (disambiguation)
- William Hayes (disambiguation)
- Hays (disambiguation)
- All pages with a title containing Hayes, includes people not listed above
- Citation: United States Census Bureau. 1995.
- Citation: Hayes surname meaning
- Eynsham Cartulary of Oxfordshire: This text is a chronological record of deeds issued in Eynsham, Oxfordshire and recorded by the Benedictine Abbey of Eynsham. Several full text versions are available online, as this is considered an antiquarian text of some relevance; for instance, a version published in 1907 is available via Google Books.
- Citation: Eysham abbey. 1907.
- Citation: Longley et al.
- Citation: Hayes surname group.
- Citation: kthomas, 2002.
- Citation: Hayes, John; 2008.
- http://surnames.behindthename.com/name/hayes-3. Retrieved 26 December 2013. Missing or empty
- http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=hayes. Retrieved 26 December 2013. Missing or empty
- Husband and wife: Rutherford 1822 and Lucy 1831
- This person is listed here under her married name.
- The Pima are a Native American people.
- Father and son: Colin 1924 and David 1962
- Father and son: Mickie 1938 and Calvin 1960
- CNET Vision series, December 6, 2002: "...which earned him the sobriquet of father of Wi-Fi."
- Business Week, April 1, 2003
- Father and son: Isaac 1942 and Isaac before 2000
- Brothers: Stevie 1963 and Bernie before 1963
- Eynsham abbey (1907). Herbert Edward Salter, ed. Eynsham Cartulary. Oxford historical society at the Clarendon Press. p. 78. ISBN 1-4325-3622-2.
- Hayes, John (2008-02-08). "Hayes Name Information (Ó'hAodha)". failteromhat.com. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Hayes surname group". Surnames & Heraldry. IrishGen.com. Archived from the original on 2007-11-17. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "Hayes surname meaning". SurnameDB. Name Origin Research. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- kthomas (2002-10-16). "Irish Names H, J". Eolas na hEireann, Information about Ireland. eircom.net. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- Longley, Paul; Alex Singleton; Richard Webber; Daryl Lloyd. "Hayes". SPLINT Project, University College London. The National Trust. Retrieved 2008-04-05. External link in
|work=(help) Note: Attempts to link directly to search results pages result in failure to find the site.
- United States Census Bureau (9 May 1995). s:1990 Census Name Files dist.all.last (1-100). Retrieved on 2008-04-04.
|This page lists people with the surname Hayes. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|