Hawaiian pizza (also too Pizza Hawai or Pizza Hawaiiy) is a pizza topped with tomato sauce, cheese, pineapple, and bacon or ham. Some versions may include peppers, mushrooms and pepperoni.
Pineapple as a pizza topping divides public opinion: Hawaiian was the most popular pizza in Australia in 1999, accounting for 15% of pizza sales, and a 2015 review of independent UK takeaways operating through Just Eat found the Hawaiian pizza to be the most commonly available. However, a 2016 survey of US adults had pineapple in the top three least favourite pizza toppings, ahead of anchovies and mushrooms.
Greek-Canadian Sam Panopoulos claimed that he created the first Hawaiian pizza at the Satellite Restaurant in Chatham, Ontario, Canada in 1962. Inspired in part by his experience preparing Chinese dishes which commonly mix sweet and savoury flavours, Panopoulos experimented with adding pineapple, ham, bacon and other toppings which were not initially very popular. The addition of pineapple to the traditional mix of tomato sauce and cheese, sometimes with ham or sometimes with bacon, soon became popular locally and eventually became a staple offering of pizzerias around the world.
In popular mediaEdit
In February 2017, the president of Iceland, Guðni Th. Jóhannesson, reportedly told a group of high school students during a Q&A that he was fundamentally opposed to pineapple on pizza. He added that he would ban pineapple as a pizza topping if he could. His off-the-cuff remark generated a flurry of media coverage and inspired lovers and haters of Hawaiian pizza to express their opinions on social media. Various celebrities shared their preferences on the matter, including Canada's Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau. Panopoulos, at that point retired from the restaurant business, was called upon by some media outlets to defend his creation. Guðni later clarified in a Facebook post that he did not have the power to ban particular toppings on pizza and would not like to live in a country where the leader could ban anything he or she did not like.
- Steve Green (1999), PMQ GOES TO AUSTRALIA, Pizza Marketing Quarterly, Last accessed 7 February 2017
- Scott, Patrick (17 September 2015). "Top ten most popular pizzas in the UK revealed - is your favourite on the list?". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- Birth, Allyssa (23 February 2016). "Pepperoni Tops Americans' List of Favorite Pizza Toppings". The Harris Poll. Harris Interactive. Archived from the original on 22 February 2017. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- Dan Nosowitz (4 June 2015), "Meet the 81-Year-Old Greek-Canadian Inventor of the Hawaiian Pizza=". Last accessed 19 May 2017
- Bob Boughner (26 June 2010), Aloha! Hawaiian pizza born in Chatham?, The Chatham Daily News Last accessed 7 February 2017
- Geoff Turner (14 July 2010), Canadian invented the Hawaiian pizza, Toronto Sun/Sun Media Last accessed 7 February 2017
- Helen Mann (February 21, 2017), Canadian inventor of Hawaiian pizza defends pineapple after Iceland's president disses fruit topping, CBC As It Happens Last accessed 19 May 2017
- Helen Mann (February 21, 2017), Canadian inventor of the Hawaiian defends pineapple after Iceland prez sneers at fruit on pizza, CBC Radio Interview As It Happens Last accessed 19 May 2017
- "The History of Hawaiian Pizza".
- Driesner, Heidi (24 January 2015). ""Toast Hawaii" wird 60" (in German). n-tv. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- Foede, Petra (4 February 2011). "Es gibt keinen Toast auf Hawaii" (in German). Frankfurter Rundschau. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- Ganz, Rabea (5 August 2013). "Herrn Paulsens Deutschstunde: Toast Hawaii" (in German). Effilee. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- Jimmy Kimmel Settles the Pineapple Pizza Debate
- Larimer, Sarah (4 March 2017). "The pizza guy's at the door. And he looks a lot like Alexander Ovechkin". The Washington Post.
- Larimer, Sarah (3 March 2017). "Capitals' Ovechkin delivers pizza, says his favorite kind is Hawaiian". The Washington Post.
- Fecteau, Jessica (8 May 2017). "Is Pineapple Acceptable on Pizza? Justin Bieber, Paris Hilton and More Celebs Weigh In". Time Inc.
- Pant, Priyanka (26 February 2017). "When It Comes To Pizza Toppings, Canada's PM Justin Trudeau Is #TeamPineapple". NDTV.
- nurun.com. "Hawaiian pizza just part of story".
- correspondent, Jon Henley European affairs (21 February 2017). "Iceland's president forced to clarify views on pineapple pizza ban" – via The Guardian.
- Media related to Hawaiian pizza at Wikimedia Commons