Hardeep Singh Puri
Hardeep Singh Puri (born 15 February 1952 in Delhi) is the current Union Minister of State with Independent Charge in the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. He is a 1974 batch Indian Foreign Service officer who served as the Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations from 2009 to 2013.
He formerly served as Chairman of United Nations Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee, Vice President of International Peace Institute and Secretary-General of Independent Commission on Multilateralism in New York.
As of 2 September 2017, he has been appointed as one of the new ministers in Prime Minister Modi's Cabinet
Early life and educationEdit
Hardeep Singh Puri was born in Delhi. His father was a diplomat, and he attended boarding school in India as his father was posted in countries where there were no options for English-language education. He pursued Bachelor's and postgraduate study at Hindu College, University of Delhi, and worked as a lecturer at St. Stephen's College, Delhi.
Puri has been stationed at important diplomatic posts in Brazil, Japan, Sri Lanka, and the United Kingdom. Between 1988 and 1991, he was the Coordinator of the UNDP/UNCTAD Multilateral Trade Negotiations Project to help Developing Countries in the Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations. He also served as the chairman of the United Nations Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee from January 2011 to February 2013, and as President of the United Nations Security Council in August 2011 and November 2012.
Ambassador Puri joined International Peace Institute as a Senior Advisor in June 2013. Puri joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in January 2014, expressing an admiration for the party's approach to national security.
Books, research papers and journalsEdit
Hardeep is a published author of several books, research papers and journals. A complete list of papers, books and journals is included below to which he is the author.
- Perilous Interventions: The Security Council and the Politics of Chaos (Publisher: HarperCollins; ISBN 978-9351777595)
- "Libya: Hillary Clinton, Susan Rice and the Ghost of Rwanda" (Publisher: The Globalist, 2016)
- "Union minister Hardeep Singh Puri elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh - Firstpost". www.firstpost.com.
- "Welcome To IANS Live - NATION". IANS Live.
- "Hardeep Puri to be next Permanent Representative of India to UN". One India News. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "Stephen's wins war of words". The Times Of India. 23 December 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "UNECE Homepage". www.unece.org.
- "CTC Chairmain Biographical Note". United Nations. 12 January 2011. Archived from the original on 31 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "SECURITY COUNCIL PRESS STATEMENT ON UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPERS IN ABYEI". United nations. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "Hardeep Singh Puri". International Peace Institute. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Ex-UN envoy Hardeep Singh Puri joins BJP". @businessline. Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- Kaushal, Akshat (2014-01-11). "I admire the BJP's approach towards national security: Hardeep Singh Puri". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-03-26.
Narendra Singh Tomar
| Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs
Minister of State with
3 September 2017 - Present
|This Indian diplomat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Nations-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|