Open main menu

Handia is a town and a nagar panchayat in East Of Allahabd District Uttar Pradesh in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

Handia
Handia is located in Uttar Pradesh
Handia
Handia
Location in Uttar Pradesh, India
Handia is located in India
Handia
Handia
Handia (India)
Handia is located in Asia
Handia
Handia
Handia (Asia)
Coordinates: 25°23′N 82°11′E / 25.38°N 82.18°E / 25.38; 82.18Coordinates: 25°23′N 82°11′E / 25.38°N 82.18°E / 25.38; 82.18
Country India
StateUttar Pradesh
DistrictAllahabad
Elevation
92 m (302 ft)
Population
 (2011)
 • Total21,798
Language
 • OfficialHindi[1]
 • Additional officialUrdu[1]
Time zoneUTC+5:30 (IST)
PIN
221503 [1]
Telephone code05414
Vehicle registrationUP 70
Sex ratio871 /

Contents

GeographyEdit

Handia is located at 25°23′N 82°11′E / 25.38°N 82.18°E / 25.38; 82.18.[2] It has an average elevation of 92 metres (301 feet). It is the Tehsil comes on the way of NH-2 also popularly known as G.T. Road (Grand Trunk Road) National Highways of India Ganga or Ganges is the only main river in this area. And Ganga is five kilometers from handia market in South direction

DemographicsEdit

As of the 2001 Census of India,[3] Handia had a population of 12681. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Handia has an average literacy rate of 52%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 63%, and female literacy is 59%. In Handia, 20.5% of the population is under 6 years of age. Out of these populations, 98% live in rural areas and rest of them reside in urban areas. They all are inhabited in 2245 number of households.

221503 [4][5] Handia has one of the oldest polytechnics of the country; it was inaugurated by the first prime minister Jawahar Lal Nehru in 1956 to further rural development. Handia constituency has around 60,000 Brahmins, 70,000 Binds coming under backward classes, 90,000 Muslims, 40,000 Rajputs and 50,000 Yadavs.As per census 2011 around 2,03,609 scheduled cast and 352 Scheduled tribs.[6]

Educational institutesEdit

National Inter College is most renowned educational institute in the region and was established in 1946.This college was inaugurated by Lal Bahadur Shastri (Second prime minister of India). HMFA Memorial inst. of engg. and technology and Handia polytechnic technical institutes in the region. An ayurvedic medical college named after Lal Bahadur Shastri. PG College Handia. Maharshi inter college, and postgraduate college [7] is very good destination for those who are seeking for higher education.

Tourist placesEdit

Lakshagraha (लाक्षागृह), Sitamarhi (सीतामढ़ी) where the goddess Sita were entered in to the earth,Kundaura Mahadeva (कुंदौरा महादेव) Near to Khijirihan village is also a famous religious spot widely known as Mahadev Temple which is well known for their spiritual & cultural activities such as Mahashivratri Festival for Kanwar Yatra (काँवर यात्रा) and Yagya was also arranged, as Nimahra ( निमहरादेवी ) (In Saidabad) and Baraut are main tourist spots of Handia.Lakshagrih and Ranka are main ghats of Handia. Judaipur,Saidabad, Amora and Kallahawa are some of the local markets.

Election synopsisEdit

Handia is one of the constituencies for assembly election of Allahabad district in state of Uttar Pradesh. As per the details published on 2 January 2012, by Chief Electoral Officer of Uttar Pradesh there are 315994 voters registered in Handia assembly, out of these around 56% are Male voters while remaining 44% comprise female voters.[8]

MythologyEdit

Handia was supposedly named after Hidimba. Indian epic Mahabharat's Lakshagraha is described to be situated at the bank of river Ganga in Handia.[citation needed]

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ a b "52nd REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER FOR LINGUISTIC MINORITIES IN INDIA" (PDF). nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
  2. ^ Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Handia
  3. ^ "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
  4. ^ http://allahabad.nic.in/census2001/Handia.pdf
  5. ^ "Handia Allahabad PinCode". citypincode.in. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
  6. ^ http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-06-07/lucknow/39814010_1_the-bjp-bharatiyajanata-party-laxmikant-bajpai
  7. ^ http://www.handiapgcollege.org
  8. ^ http://ceouttarpradesh.nic.in/district_stat.aspx