Hammad ibn Salamah
Abu Salma Hammad ibn Salamah ibn Dinar al-Basri (Arabic: حماد بن سلمة بن دينار البصري; died 167 AH/783 CE), the son of Salamah ibn Dinar, was Basra's mufti, a prominent narrator of hadith and one of the earliest grammarians of the Arabic language, who had a great influence on his student, Sibawayh.
|Hammad ibn Salamah|
|Died||167 AH/783 CE|
|Main interest(s)||Hadith, Arabic language|
Ibn Salamah was born roughly in AH 82 (701/702) and died of natural causes in AH 167 (783/784). In hadith, or recorded statements and actions of the Muslim prophet Muhammad, he was a narrator for later scholars Ibn Jurayj, Sufyan al-Thawri and Abdullah ibn Mubarak. His status was considered by many Muslim scholars to be of the highest rank in regard to biographical evaluation, and he is quoted in both Sahih Muslim and Sahih al-Bukhari, the two most significant collections for Sunni Muslims. He is also considered to have been a teacher of both Abu Dawud at-Tayalisi and Yunus ibn Habib.
- Sībawayh, ʻAmr ibn ʻUthmān (1988), Hārūn, ʻAbd al-Salām Muḥammad, ed., Al-Kitāb Kitāb Sībawayh Abī Bishr ʻAmr ibn ʻUthmān ibn Qanbar, Introduction (3rd ed.), Cairo: Maktabat al-Khānjī, pp. 8–9
- 20021 – Hammad bin Salama (Abu Salma, Abu Sakhar) at Muslim Scholars Database. Copyright (c) 2011 & beyond, Arees Institute.
- Israr Ahmed, Authentication of Hadith: Redefining the Criteria, pg. 24. Herndon: International Institute of Islamic Thought, 2010. ISBN 9781565644489
- Ibn Khallikan, Deaths of Eminent Men and History of the Sons of the Epoch, vol. 4, pg. 586. Trns. William McGuckin de Slane. London: Oriental Translation Fund of Great Britain and Ireland, 1871.
- Ignác Goldziher, The Zahiris, pg. 15. Volume 3 of Brill Classics in Islam. Leiden: Brill Publishers, 2008. ISBN 9789004162419
- Rashid Ahmad Jullundhry, Qur'anic Exegesis in Classical Literature, pg. 56. New Westminster: The Other Press, 2010. ISBN 9789675062551
|This biographical article about a person notable in connection with Islam is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|